What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: need advice on first hot tub purchase  (Read 10338 times)

vangoghsear

Re: need advice on first hot tub purchase
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »
BF dealer is correct.  The circulation issue has been fixed years ago.

When set up for proper flow, UV is an excellent sanitizer of the water it comes in contact with.  You will need to replace the UV lamp at the interval specified, and you will still need some form of chemical sanitizer as well, (same as with ozone), but not as much.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »

Sam

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »
In a Bullfrog spa, the water behind the JetPaks is circulated and is the same water that is in the main body of your hot tub.  Do not let this falsehood deter you.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »
Dealers:  We have local:  bullfrog, jacuzzi, hot springs, that's it.  I have called the HS dealer, and they said there are some issues with bullfrog's circulation of water behind the jetpacks.  BF dealer told me the water behind those jetpacks is circulated along with all the other water.......

Will call Jacuzzi and see what they have to say.  I know they use UV light instead of ozone.  I don't know if one is better than the other.  Again, advice is appreciated.  I would like to keep our purchase price under 6K if possible, seating 4, getting the best possible pumps/filtration/warranty we can get.

Thanks.

Hot Springs and Jacuzzi are very good choices IMO and there are Bullfrog fans here to so just go check out all 3. See what they have, sit in them dry, listen to their pitches, ask how long in spa business, how long with this product, do they service they product with in house service people... and anything else you can think of. Don't get caught up in waterfalls, fancy lighting, steroes, UV or ozone too much IMO. Wet test the top 3 or so choices and let us know what you're thinking.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubmaybe

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
Since I have three choices in this area, I guess the wet tests will be done with these 3.  All the dealers have told me they are "wholesalers", call me skeptical, but it's hard to believe.  If we're paying cash, how much should we expect them to budge on price?  Both Jacuzzi and HS have said a $6-7K tub will still have wood in the frame.....not a big fan of this, since it seems to me that wood eventually gives to pressure and to the environment. 

Gillian

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:30 pm »
Like, I said earlier, I'm happy with our Jacuzzi 365. Keeping the water balanced was challenging at first, due to having well water and being "newbies".  I've gleaned great info here on this site.  The UV light on the Jacuzzi helps keep the water clean but adding the right amount of chemicals (chlorinating concentrate, shock) regularly and keeping the water reasonably balanced is essential.  I take a sample of our water to the dealer about once a month or whenever I think the water is out of whack.  They test it, then print out instructions to balance the water.  I really like the size of our hot tub and the foot well is a great place to rest my feet. We did not wet test prior to purchase.  The J245 is very similiar to the J365.  We also looked at the J345 (no foot well, though).

There is a home & garden show this weekend at the fairgounds in Spokane if you are in the area.  It would be a good place to compare various brands of hot tubs. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
Since I have three choices in this area, I guess the wet tests will be done with these 3.  All the dealers have told me they are "wholesalers", call me skeptical, but it's hard to believe.  If we're paying cash, how much should we expect them to budge on price?  Both Jacuzzi and HS have said a $6-7K tub will still have wood in the frame.....not a big fan of this, since it seems to me that wood eventually gives to pressure and to the environment.

The wood frame will be fine, thats how they've been made for years and if you see old spas going to the dump you'll notice they're not going there because of the frame (unless it was some cheaply made spa in the first place maybe).

Once you're at the wet test stage, try to wet test the same day or at least the same weekend. You'll have an easier time comparing them that way. When they talk price make sure they are specific exactly what is included in that price.

As far as the cash discount, always ask. Some will give it, I've seen some that don't. I might use that one late in the negotiations.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:58:35 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jac-470

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »
My j-470 has a 10 year structure warranty and it's made of PT wood. That's a long warranty, so they have confidence in the wood structure.

hottubmaybe

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
Good to know to know on PT wood frames.  I was under the impression that most high end brands were going away from any wood in their designs.  Another thing we need to be sure of is there is little to no access for rodents to get inside the tub's mechanical area.  We live rurally on acreage and the little critters run amuck here, especially in the spring, despite our best efforts to erradicate them.....Another question I will have to keep on my list. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42