What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Our new to us Marquis Epic is home...  (Read 2752 times)

spanorth

Our new to us Marquis Epic is home...
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:11:54 pm »
Last year I built a 3 season porch addition and replaced our deck.  This spring I will complete the project building a paver patio.  I started thinking recently, that now might be a good time to catch a good deal on a used hot tub, since (I'm guessing) many people aren't thinking about buying hot tubs right now.  We really couldn't afford more than $1,000 - $1,500. And I know nothing about hot tubs.  So I browsed Craigslist a bit on Saturday and one caught my eye...but there was no make or model.  The ad just said "hot tub in great shape, 6 or 7 years old, new one's are selling for $12,000, we're asking $2100."  I sent them a message asking the make and model...they said "Marquis Epic" which still meant nothing to me...until I googled it.  I couldn't find a single complaint about this model...other than maybe is was too expensive, but I didn't find lots of people who love it.  Plus, the new one's don't seem to have changed much since 2007.  Well, $2100 was still out of our price range and it didn't matter how good of a deal it was (and I think that would have been a good price).  I respectfully offered them $1500 (top of our budget) and assured them I could have it gone by the end of the weekend, without much hassle on their part. As it turns out, that is exactly what they needed, since they just sold the house and needed to get it our asap, because the new owners didn't want it.  We were thrilled and can't wait to get it going, unfortunately that will have to wait a couple months until the spring when we finish the patio.  Something my wife is not happy about!

The owner did offer to start it up for us, since it was shut down for the winter.  Maybe it was nieve on my part, but he gave me no indication that there was any reason to believe there was a problem with it, so I opted not have him fill it up and drain it the next day in the middle of winter.  I think that would have been quite a hassle.  Maybe not as much hassle as finding out the thing is riddled with problems, but I guess for $1500, I was willing to take that risk.

The tub came with a big box of misc chemicals, the steps, a remote, and a decent cover with an opener.  I carefully checked under the hood for any obvious issues and inspected the shell for cracks and other obvious issues.  Everything looked good from what I could see.

Was this a crazy purchase or did we do well?  So now what...what do we need to be thinking about or doing before getting this tub running in a couple months?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:38:15 pm by spanorth »

Hot Tub Forum

Our new to us Marquis Epic is home...
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:11:54 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Our new to us Marquis Epic is home...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:39 pm »
Be sure it is bone dry throughout so it will not freeze as it sits waiting for spring.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

vangoghsear

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:31 pm »
I would start looking at the electrical requirements for your area and the structural support base, such as concrete, EZPads, wood deck, gravel, or whatever you plan to use.   Pavers can be used if the subbase is done right, but they are not recommended.  Pay attention to the electrical requirements concerning your base selection, such as running conduits through concrete and grounding rebar in concrete.  If it's to be placed on your deck the structure needs to be able to hold a lot of weight.  Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon then there's the weight of the tub and people.  All told it could be 5000 lbs give or take a bit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:12:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42