What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water flow into filter is very low  (Read 3560 times)

riddler

Water flow into filter is very low
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
Hey guys, quick question. I have a caldera Martinique and I noticed the filter system wasn't drawing in any water. I opened all the valves and ran the system wide open for about 10 minutes. I now have very little water flow into the filter system. Any ideas what the problem may be? I did not check the water for a few days and I was not aware that the filter system failed. I had a yellowish residue built up near the top edge of the waterline. Kind of like a paste substance. I ran a good chemical test and all the levels are fine.  Without a 100% filter power I think that might cause the water to form the residue. I need a little help.
Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Water flow into filter is very low
« on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Water flow into filter is very low
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:33:20 pm »
You have a circ pump, right?  Maybe your filter is clogged.  How old is it?  When did you last chemically clean it?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

riddler

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
I believe it does have a circ pump, all the jets seem to be working fine. If anything I am leaning towards it possibly being a filter issue. I have two of them and they ate pretty old, but I clean them all the time. I keep all the chems maintained but I may have slipped a bit this winter on them. I will try running the tub without the filter cartridge and see if the flow is a bit stronger. If it isn't then what's my next step? Water change and a good flush of the system? Thanks for helping!!

clover

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:31 pm »
.....If anything I am leaning towards it possibly being a filter issue. I have two of them and they ate pretty old, but I clean them all the time..... I will try running the tub without the filter cartridge and see if the flow is a bit stronger. If it isn't then what's my next step? Water change and a good flush of the system? Thanks for helping!!

Odds are the filters are "clogged" with what as accumulated in them over time.  Remove the filter and put you hand on the suction intake to test the power of the draw.

How old are your filters as they have a limited life expectancy, people usually keep them far beyond.  What do you do to clean them?  Chances are you do not soak them in a cleaning agent, or hose them off with a pressure stream of water.  Are you on well water where calcium accumulates in the micro fibre of the filter rendering it "clogged".  A soak in a CLR mix may help if that is the case.

Or, you could just replace 1 of your filters and measure the performance.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:56 pm »
Or the pumps impeller is clogged.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

riddler

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:14:24 pm »
Ok, I pulled the filter out and checked the suction of the water and it was strong enough as to where it would hold my band down. So, I put the filter back in with the tub running and I noticed a difference in power coming out of the jets. Seems like filters I have have seen better days.
Next question, can you give me a website where I can find the filters and any other spa supplies at reasonable prices?
Thanks for all your help guys!!

PS- I do have a well and I try to stay on top of water changes and chems. I have had the tub for 8 years and have only been rotating 3 filters in and out for the 9 years we've had it. I run the filters through the dishwasher when I clean them. I always thought if they looked clean between the grooves of the filter then they are ok. I did not realize they have a limited life. Thanks again!

bimmerdog

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »
I buy all my supplies from my hot tub store by me but I found this site you might look at for your supplies  spadepot.com  I have no idea if they are good but I like what i saw on their site.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42