What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Signs of Mice...  (Read 3110 times)

spanorth

Signs of Mice...
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:57 am »
My 2005 Marquis Epic home and it's in my heated shop out of the freezing weather (previous owner winterized it properly).  When I first inspected it, I did see a very little bit of mouse droppings in the motor compartment but i could not find any chewing or sign of long term presence, so I was not overly concerned.  I do know what long term mouse presence looks like as we had quite an issue in our home when we first moved in.  I am acutely aware, unfortunatly!  After moving it, tipping it and transporting it, I noticed that some foam bits and mouse droppings have appeared in the motor compartment (which were not there when I first inspected it).  I literally noticed it just a few hours after the move, so I believe they were jostled loose from the move and fell into the compartment, as opposed to it being new activity.

Our concrete patio will be poured in April when the ground thaws, and the hot tub will be placed there and connected at that time.  THe hot tub will stay in my heated shop until then.

I would like to identify and fix any leaks or electrical issues before I move it to the back yard and place it on the patio.  It will be much easier to fix problem where it sits now, if there is one.  Previous owner has never had a problem and it was working perfectly when it was closed in the fall.  I have full access to my electrical panel in the garage and I can safely have the electrical properly connected by my brother who is an electrician.

Two questions:
1. Obviously it's possible, but how likely/common is it that the mice chewed something other than the foam, causing a leak or electrical problem?
2. Should I fill, connect and test the hot tub now, where it sits in my shop? 

Thanks for your input!

Hot Tub Forum

Signs of Mice...
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:57 am »

Pools Plus Inc MI

Re: Signs of Mice...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:53:45 am »
1. Yes. They can chew wood or plumbing that can create leaks.
2. Fill her up and see what happens. Fingers crossed there are no leaks!

Good Luck!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:27 pm »
I sure would fill it and even connect it up with some temp wiring to be sure it all runs, before you tie up valuable space storing it till Spring, and then go to the trouble and expense of making preparations for it in the yard.

It would be good to know now if there are issues.

And I have heard that moth balls or moth crystals will keep the critters at bay.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spanorth

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:16 pm »
Thanks...I'll fill her up this weekend and give it run.  Fingers crossed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:41:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42