What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OLDER STA RITE NO HEAT  (Read 4131 times)

LANCHE

OLDER STA RITE NO HEAT
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »
I have an older sta rite that ive been working to get going and im down to the heating part. Ive put 2 new heating coils in but now im having a problem getting power to them. The power comes in to a magnetic switch but is not engaging to allow power out the side to the elements. How can I check the switch or even possibly the the thermastat ?..... thanks in advance.....

Hot Tub Forum

OLDER STA RITE NO HEAT
« on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:52 pm »

LANCHE

Re: OLDER STA RITE NO HEAT
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »
Does the thermostat control the magnetic switch or relay or whatever it might be called ?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
Welcome to the forum!   I'm the last person who should be giving you advise here, but we do have many more qualified people here who probably can answer.   After being here 10 years, I have found that when poeple mention a brand of hot tub that I haven't heard of before, it usually is a regional brand that uses parts purchased from one of a few different sources.   It may be a good idea to post a name, model number, or even post pictures of the control box inside the tub. It may be a common type of company, like Balboa that many of the experienced people here may recognize.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »
Sta-rite is a brand name of pumps. There may have been a heater they manufactured some time ago as well, I vaguely recall a gas heater they made for a few years. I don't recall an electric heater, however they may have made a complete spa pack eons and eons ago.  The OP is talking, I believe, about a simple contractor (relay). This is a VERY basic and simple part used in the old style mechanical systems.

These things are stupidly easy. When power is applied to the side, they close. If it's getting power and not closing, it's bad. If it's not getting power, the wiring needs to be traced backwards and it determine what is not sending power to the relay.

This almost falls into the category of, if you have to ask, you're not qualified and REALLY should have a professional take care of it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

LANCHE

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:22 pm »
Where can I pick one up. I tried at the local hardware store and there still scratching there heads.....Thanks

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »
Where can I pick one up. I tried at the local hardware store and there still scratching there heads.....Thanks

Find your specific part and start a-googlin it.  I highly doubt you're going to walk into any local store and find it.  You're definitely spend more on gas searching for it than you'd pay in shipping.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42