What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Brand New Hot Springs Glow will not turn on  (Read 4196 times)

Itiswhatitis2012

Brand New Hot Springs Glow will not turn on
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:27 pm »
Newbie here who purchased a hot tub for the first time.

Two weeks ago we purchased a 2012 Hot Springs Glow floor model.  It was delivered yesterday and will filled it up, put the cover on and waited for the electrician to finish it today . We live in Chicago and the high has only been 15 degrees and single digits at night.

He finished up around 3:00 this afternoon and the control panel lights up and the temp reads 50 degrees. If you push any of the buttons, nothing happens. It has stayed at 50 degrees for the past 4 hours now.

I called the store where it was purchased and was told even in this cold weather with the water being only 50 degrees, I should be able to operate the jets, set the temp ect.  He put in a service call and someone will be getting back to us tomorrow.

Any ideas what this could be?  Needless to say we are pretty upset.

We're just very anxious to have our first of many nights in our new hot tub.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Brand New Hot Springs Glow will not turn on
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:27 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Brand New Hot Springs Glow will not turn on
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »
where did you place the hose when you filled it? could be as simple as an airlock in the circ. pump..therefore causing the spa NOT to heat/circulate? 

Itiswhatitis2012

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »
It was filled through the filter compartment and is filled just below the head rests.  We were told not to just toss the hose into the tub and fill like a pool.

HuMan321

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »
If you have never heard the pump run. I would guess possibly 220 volt jumper set up.

Itiswhatitis2012

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:18 pm »
No, I have never heard the pump.  Is a  220 volt jumper set up something we can do or does it need to be done by the electrician who wired the tub? 

I just went out there and the temp is now 58 so it seems like the heater is working but I am still unable to access the control panel.

I appreciate all your help.

HuMan321

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:32 pm »
From what I know it "is" something you could do if you had schematic and were sure this was the issue. This was issue with my tub and I remember electrician cursing dealer installers and saying "they forgot the jumper again" I did not see what he did, but it started right up. Mine has 6KW heater and from a 50 degree start was heating up about 12 degrees an hour at 30 degree ambient. (225 gallons)

Itiswhatitis2012

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:43:18 pm »
Well it's up to 67 degrees so at least I know the heater is working.   :-\

I called the store where we purchased it from and they put in a service call. I should hear from someone tomorrow and hopefully they can walk me through it or send someone out.

Thanks

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:08:19 am »
The Glow is not a convertible spa, so there should not need be any jumper changes.

The fact that it is heating is most important for right now. Most dealers try to get out and show customers how to operate the system - if your cannot, an alternative is for you to go to the dealership and get a full run-through on a running spa with the same panel as yours. Whichever is fastest/easiest.

Look for a little padlock icon on the row of icons at the bottom of the control panel - you may simply have locked the panel. Read the owners manual for the section on 'Spa Lock,' which is different than "Temp Lock."

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Itiswhatitis2012

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 01:16:23 am »
Thank you all for your help. My initial theory ended up being correct. The lowest temp for the hot tub is 80. I was hoping the water would need to get to at least that in order for the control panel/jets to work. Sure enough when I asked my husband to check the temp one more time before bed he came back in and asked me if I wanted the good or bad news first. I told him the bad and he said "the water is only 82, but dang those jets are fierce and the lights are awesome". 

I threw on my coat to see for myself and he was right; those jets are powerful.

Looking forward to our first soak tomorrow night.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:26:19 am »
Good deal. Welcome to Spatopia: may you soak long and prosper.

8)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:01 am »
Glad you got it going, strange that nothing runs even lights till it hits a certain temp?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:08 am »
To the best of my knowledge, there is no such programming. I have started up thousands of these things with tap water cooler than 80 degrees and they fired off just fine. In fact, I try to start every spa we deliver - can't always be there, but I try.

Here's hoping it was a glitch of some kind, and that you are off on years of trouble-free service.

8)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:07:18 am »
Thank you all for your help. My initial theory ended up being correct. The lowest temp for the hot tub is 80. I was hoping the water would need to get to at least that in order for the control panel/jets to work. Sure enough when I asked my husband to check the temp one more time before bed he came back in and asked me if I wanted the good or bad news first. I told him the bad and he said "the water is only 82, but dang those jets are fierce and the lights are awesome". 

I threw on my coat to see for myself and he was right; those jets are powerful.

Looking forward to our first soak tomorrow night.

your going to love how easy that spa is to maintain with 24hr circulation due to its small size, and yes If the jets in that spa are not powerful enough for you then nothing on the market is going to be strong enough

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:07:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42