What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2012 Optima or 2013 J-470  (Read 12249 times)

Jac-470

2012 Optima or 2013 J-470
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »
OK here's the deal. The Sundance dealer has a 2012 Optima demo floor model with the stone skirt with stairs, JBL stereo, and a Covermate II that they will bring to my house and set up and have full warrany for $8300 with Sundace $500 rebate. We did a wet test and really like it, but don't know how long the tub has been used for demo's. The Jacuzzi dealer will sell me a new 2013 J-470 in my choice of color with steps, JBL stereo with a I-Pod, Covermate III, starter kit and set-up at the house for $9100 with $500 factory rebate. The Jacuzzi dealer has a very good rep for service, but have not heard much on the Sundace dealer. So is it worth the $800 to get a new one over a demo?

As far as likes, the Sundance looked and felt nice, but really didn't care to much for the stone look skirt. But everything else looked good.

The Jacuzzi looks a bit better with the different style tub with the high back and double water fall, plus I can have my colors. But is that worth $800 more?

Now I've read there both are owned by Jacuzzi, and they share simular items, but looking at the 2, I didn't see anything that looked the same other then color and skirting. The Jacuzzi jets are different, one less pump, tubs and seating totally different, and even the base was different as the sundance has a wood bottom with a plastic cover screwed to it, while the 470 has a tub like the Artic forever floor. The filter system was also different. So other then the Clearray, what is the same between the two?

Hot Tub Forum

2012 Optima or 2013 J-470
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »

bimmerdog

Re: 2012 Optima or 2013 J-470
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:10 pm »
I'm assuming you have wet test both.  Did you ask how long the Optima has been used?  If it has been a floor model for wet testing less the 6 months then I would have no problem buying it.  My price cut off when I went shopping was $1,000 between spas.  If it was more then that it better have some thing really cool that the other spa did not have. 

Both spas have the same warranty
I think it is very important to have a good dealer standing behind the sale.
Get what you like because the saving will be gone soon but the tub will be there for a long time. 
Just wondering, what was the price for an Optima the way you wanted it?

Your having as much fun as I did shopping for a hot tub.  Found out today my Optima will be coming off the line Feb 8th then gets a long ride to Utah. 

Jac-470

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:18 pm »
I'm assuming you have wet test both.  Did you ask how long the Optima has been used?  If it has been a floor model for wet testing less the 6 months then I would have no problem buying it.  My price cut off when I went shopping was $1,000 between spas.  If it was more then that it better have some thing really cool that the other spa did not have. 

Both spas have the same warranty
I think it is very important to have a good dealer standing behind the sale.
Get what you like because the saving will be gone soon but the tub will be there for a long time. 
Just wondering, what was the price for an Optima the way you wanted it?

Your having as much fun as I did shopping for a hot tub.  Found out today my Optima will be coming off the line Feb 8th then gets a long ride to Utah.

Wet testing Jacuzzi tomorrow.

I didn't ask on how long, but from the scratches at the entry, I would say it's been a few months atleast.
 It's $800 with the same features, but a model year newer and mayby some unknown updates over the 2012?

Service to me after the sale is more important then saving a few bucks.

They had another Optima in the warehouse unused with the same options but different color for $9300 with rebate. A new 2013 ordered would of been $10300 with rebate.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:36 pm »
 So the Sundance you are looking at has a wood base?        The J-470 is different than the Optima for sure, jet wise and filtration wise and of course the looks!    It does have the same pumps as the Optima less a air blower.    8300 for the Optima with that skirt is a great buy, but I question the age of it, Sundance switched to a ABS similar to the Jacuzzi a couple of years ago.  So I am not sure why it has the wood base?  Still a good price!     

Jac-470

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »
So the Sundance you are looking at has a wood base?        The J-470 is different than the Optima for sure, jet wise and filtration wise and of course the looks!    It does have the same pumps as the Optima less a air blower.    8300 for the Optima with that skirt is a great buy, but I question the age of it, Sundance switched to a ABS similar to the Jacuzzi a couple of years ago.  So I am not sure why it has the wood base?  Still a good price!     

The bottom of the Sundance looked nothing like the Jacuzzi. You may see about a inch of black ABS, where there's a good 4-5" showing on the 470. I was told the Sundance has a wood floor with a plastic cover screwed to it, and that is what it looked like looking at all the Sundances. The 470 looks more like a tub bottom up high and out of the way. But I have not see any pics showing the construction of either.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »
  Originally it was a 2.5" wood base with a sheet of ABS plastic stapled to the btm.  Maybe a 1/16th of an inch thick.    By what you just described it sounds like the current style which is a ABS pan similar to Jacuzzi but much shorter.     

Jac-470

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »
Ordered the 470 tonight ;D. It was just a bit nicer IMHO then the Optima in my color choice. Jets were awesome, and the dealer was just a pleasure to work with. So my last choice now is, stereo or not. I can get it for $8300 with no radio, or $9100 with it. Any thoughts as I need to let them know tomorrow before they order it.

bimmerdog

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »
Congrats on the new purchase.  We went with the stereo in our Optima.  I was 100% sure I would never get a tub with a stereo but once again I was wrong.  In the Sundance system the JBL speakers are right next to the head rest.  It was very nice you don't have to turn up the volume even with all the jets on high. I was very impressed.  My wife loved it also.  Again it is a choice you have to make if it is worth it.  I thought I would just put a system on my deck to listen to but having the system built into the hot tub for us is a nice "extra" feature. 

I did a little negotiation with the owner of the store and got my Optima at a very good price.  I do have to give him some golf lessons in trade.  We are both happy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:04:34 pm by bimmerdog »

Jac-470

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:29 pm »
The one we tested today had the JBL stereo with the remote and sounded great and plenty loud. I had him turn on all the jets and could easily hear it. The jets and pumps were very quite tho. I was just concered as I've heard those with issues over a couple years. And since they only have a 1 year warranty, it could be costly to fix. I had him price one speaker and it was $82, then times that by 4, and that's $328. The speakers were bigger then the Optimas, but had 2 less, but were on a corners. I could do a lot with the $800. But the stereo was nice.

Jac-470

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
I also forgot, he said if I got the stereo that he would through in a Ipod 16g Nano so to have my own spa music.

bimmerdog

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:13 pm »
Agree you could do a lot with $800.  As far as having only a one year warranty. If I looked at every thing on just their warranty I wouldn't own much of anything.  My case is a little different then yours. I pretty much got the system for free.  You won't miss not having the system.  And you can have fun with the extra $800.

bimmerdog

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:27 pm »
How long is the warranty on the Nano? ;D    Just kidding.  If you can afford it and won't kick yourself for spending the extra money buy the system.  Remember the hot tub is what you are buying. The stereo is just an extra.  With or with out it you have a hell of a nice hot tub.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:13 am »
Ordered the 470 tonight ;D. It was just a bit nicer IMHO then the Optima in my color choice. Jets were awesome, and the dealer was just a pleasure to work with. So my last choice now is, stereo or not. I can get it for $8300 with no radio, or $9100 with it. Any thoughts as I need to let them know tomorrow before they order it.

$800 might by a nice set of wireless speakers.  We live in an urban neighborhood and don't wear suits. We try not to draw attention to ourselves and soak quietly.   We average 20 minutes every night, so I would spend the money elsewhere, but if I was given a good deal on a floor model that had it, I would take it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:53 am »

Stereos in spas have never been a good idea so I'd skip it personally and save the money but if you really want it and $800 is no big deal then go for it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:53:11 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bimmerdog

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »
I don't think having a stereo built into the hot tub is a bad idea. People will say it is just one more thing that can go wrong with the tub.  If you have that feeling about it then why do we have power windows, power seats,  in cars?  We don't need a lot of what we buy. For some people it is nice to be able to have the choice to buy them.   

I remember when I got my first vehicle with heated and cooling seats.  It was an option that I though was a stupid idea till I got it.  Now ever car I have has it.  We as Americans what more and more " extra things" in everything we buy. 

It is a choice. If you like it, want it, can afford it, buy it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42