What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just got Spa N A Box  (Read 17895 times)

Terry Action

Just got Spa N A Box
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »
I know I know, it got bad ratings on Amazon, but I got it less than half price at $400. Anyway, it took really slow to heat up. It took four days to reach 100 from around 45 degree hose water. The problem is it outsize is now sub-freezing (22 degrees in NYC) and the hot tub dropped to 97 degrees overnight. Even in extreme cold, I'm guessing this isn't normal. By the way, I put a brand new filter in. I even tried running it overnight without l filter. No difference.

So, what do I do? I heard the heat can be adjusted (turn of a screw?), but how? I'm very new to the hot tub world. In fact, I have never been in an outdoor one, ever. Anyway, here is a pic I took as soon as I set it up:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:52:58 pm by Terry Action »

Hot Tub Forum

Just got Spa N A Box
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:10:37 pm »

Hot Spring Ace

Re: Just got Spa N A Box
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »
My guess would be that it does not actually have a heater but uses a friction pump which would be why it would take 4 days to heat up to start with and not be able to stay there during the coldest time. A picture of your inside equipment would veify this.

Terry Action

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:09:52 pm »
My guess would be that it does not actually have a heater but uses a friction pump which would be why it would take 4 days to heat up to start with and not be able to stay there during the coldest time. A picture of your inside equipment would veify this.

I'll try and get you a pic soon, but can't check right now. To do so, I'll need to disconnect the power pack/pump and turn it upside down, where there are several screws. The problem is if I disconnect it, I have to drain it several inches below filtration, and I won't be able to fill it back up because my garden hose is frozen (damn 22 degree weather is awful). I can tell you that it's supposed to heat up 1 to 1 1/2 degrees an hour, and is 110 volt.

Here's a pic I found throw a search, however:

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »
Those are cool and very cheap. We use them for sitting in when we are watching our local marathon. Then we put them away for winter. Seal it up tight with the cover on and the heat set as high as possible. Then open it quickly and enjoy your 20 minute soak. Then jump out seal it up and walk away until it is hot again in a day or 2.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 11:04:30 am »
Those are cool and very cheap. We use them for sitting in when we are watching our local marathon. Then we put them away for winter. Seal it up tight with the cover on and the heat set as high as possible. Then open it quickly and enjoy your 20 minute soak. Then jump out seal it up and walk away until it is hot again in a day or 2.

Which Marathon is that?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

vangoghsear

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
I don't see a cover in the picture.  Do you have a cover?

From a quick search, Spa-N-A-Box's have a 1 kWh 110Volt heater and are 280 gallons.  The heater should give you 8 kW in an 8 hour period (running the whole time).  Your spa lost about 10 kW worth of heat (the 8 kW your heater provides and 2.05 kW more in heat loss from the water (100-97 degrees).  This is a lot of loss in 8 hours.  Your fill losses were only 14 kW per day (280 gallons from 45-100 degrees should take 37.4 kW yours took 24 x 1kW x 4 days = 96 kW).  Did you fill it during those warm days we had in the NE last week?

I still have to ask, do you have it covered?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:48:41 pm by vangoghsear »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »

Its called Grandmas Marathon from Two Harbors to Duluth in Northern Minnesota. You've probably never heard of it.
Retired

Terry Action

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:00 pm »

From a quick search, Spa-N-A-Box's have a 1 kWh 110Volt heater and are 280 gallons.  The heater should give you 8 kW in an 8 hour period (running the whole time).  Your spa lost about 10 kW worth of heat (the 8 kW your heater provides and 2.05 kW more in heat loss from the water (100-97 degrees).  This is a lot of loss in 8 hours.  Your fill losses were only 14 kW per day (280 gallons from 45-100 degrees should take 37.4 kW yours took 24 x 1kW x 4 days = 96 kW).  Did you fill it during those warm days we had in the NE last week?

I still have to ask, do you have it covered?

Yes, the cover and inflatable float inside are both on. I took the pic as soon as I filled it up. Anyway, I just checked at 8:00 PM and it's down to 91 degrees. :(

I filled it from hose water 8 days ago, when it was roughly 45 degrees. It was about 18 degrees today outside in NYC.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »
I would put it away until spring. I can only imagine how much electricity that uses in the winter

vangoghsear

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 08:01:35 am »
One possibility is that the heater is no longer working.  Not sure how to check that. 

But I suspect that it may be an insulation issue.  It did lose 58.6 kW of the 96 kW possibly used heating the water during the fill even though it was a balmy 45 degrees  ??? ,  so maybe it is just fairly poorly insulated can't keep up with the loses.  As Hottubguy suggests it may be better as a three season hot tub.

Terry Action

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:29:01 am »
One possibility is that the heater is no longer working.  Not sure how to check that. 

But I suspect that it may be an insulation issue.  It did lose 58.6 kW of the 96 kW possibly used heating the water during the fill even though it was a balmy 45 degrees  ??? ,  so maybe it is just fairly poorly insulated can't keep up with the loses.  As Hottubguy suggests it may be better as a three season hot tub.

It's working. If I put my hand inside, I can feel warm water flowing. Being 19 degrees outside now, I suspect it would drop a lot more if it wasn't working at all.

It could be an insulation issue. If you do a search for my particular hot tub, it's supposed to come with foam that you put under the liner. Mine didn't come with any.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:46 am »
You get more heat off the motor in that then you do from any heating element...most owners here in Colorado don't keep those for more then a year. I've thrown several away and have a couple in the back room that have bad equipment.

The liners dry out very rapidly here after draining....

vangoghsear

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:48 am »
If there is no insulation under the liner, that explains it. 

It's working. If I put my hand inside, I can feel warm water flowing. Being 19 degrees outside now, I suspect it would drop a lot more if it wasn't working at all.

It could be an insulation issue. If you do a search for my particular hot tub, it's supposed to come with foam that you put under the liner. Mine didn't come with any.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:38 am »
Wow - NO insulation? Not only will that not work in a climate like yours, but if you really try to run it a lot you could easily spend the price of a more conventional tub in power, over time.

Freeflow tubs start at $2995, and they are full insulated, come with a great cover, and if you want to store it, one person can drain and move it.

Just sayin'

Other than THAT...

Welcome to Spatopia! May you soak long and prosper. In warmer weather...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Terry Action

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:32 am »
Thanks for the tips, guys. Yeah, no insulation from the bottom. The liner is just sitting on the cold concrete. I did a search, and was unable to buy the insulation for Spa N A Box on eBay or anywhere else. I just ordered something called "Carpenter Memory Foam Mattress Topper" on Amazon. I'm going to cut in, and place it down when I drain the spa and set it back up. You think that will help?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:16:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42