What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Hot Tub owner, older tub....  (Read 2968 times)

Flex585

New Hot Tub owner, older tub....
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:47 pm »
Hi all, new here and new to tubbing, I have acquired a 2003 Viking Spas Eclipse. The tub needed a lot of TLC as it had been neglected. The first fill up revealed about 8 leaks. I have basically replaced the leaking joints, hoses and manifolds. However, there seems to be a very slow leak underneath the tub, I see a small wet/damp area on the concrete. The leak is slow (only lose about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water every 10 days or so. My questions is 2 part, 1. Should I just live with it for now ( I live in the northeast western ny winters get cold) and repair when it gets worse, will the winter cause the leak to do more damage? I plan to use during the winter. 2. Is Fix-a-Leak worth a try? I have researched this product and some have had success, others not so much. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hot Tub Forum

New Hot Tub owner, older tub....
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:47 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: New Hot Tub owner, older tub....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »
Are you sure the water you're seeing isn't residual water left over from all the leaks you've fixed? 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water loss every 10 days or so is far less than just normal water evaporation.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Flex585

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:52 pm »
Are you sure the water you're seeing isn't residual water left over from all the leaks you've fixed? 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water loss every 10 days or so is far less than just normal water evaporation.

Positive, the foam has not dried out either, it ooses water when pressed, but not around any of the piping just on the "floor" of the equipment cabinet. No wet pipes/tubes leads me to think it is either on the bottom of the tub or in the foam covered tubing somewhere. I did let the ground concrete dry out before refilling and after fixing visible leaks. Here is an example of the water loss. On Sunday I added water to the water line on the skimmer, I also marked the water level with a grease pencil. I just went out and checked it today, it is down maybe 1/8 inch +/-. The tub was used one time in that time frame but the foam on the floor of the cabinet on one side is soaked and there is a non drying damp spot on the concrete just outside of the cabinet.

jay01th

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »
Yes, get fix a leak, you will have to remove filters, run the liquid for 10 minutes or what it states on the bottle, then drain out the water and clean inside a little bit. Filler back up good to go  :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »
1/8" loss over that time, with one use is normal. When you're using the spa do you see that steam rising? When you get out, are you wet? All of that takes water out of the spa.

Try the fix a leak (but you have to run it a "heck" of a lot longer than 10 minutes...think more like hours. But I doubt it will make a difference. With the leak you had. it will take weeks or months for the foam to completely dry out.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:46:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42