What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calcium management  (Read 4539 times)

Sea Bean

Calcium management
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »
Hi,
Our calcium level is consistently low.  J-365.  2 people almost every night.  Using Leisure Time chems so far.  We throw in a big capful of Renew after each use & I test the water & add several capfuls of Spa 56 chlorine every few days.  (Chlorine is coming in at zero shortly after testing it at "5"...it drops in no time.  Different thread.  Back to calcium.) 

What do y'all use to maintain calcium at the right levels?  How important is it to NOT have low calcium?

Is there a natural thing, like baking soda, that I can use instead of  buying Calcium Boost?

Thanks! 

Hot Tub Forum

Calcium management
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »

chem geek

Re: Calcium management
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:46:55 am »
You increase calcium using calcium chloride, but standard spa Calcium Increaser products can be used since you don't add very much.  If you want, you can use Peladow or Dowflake which are de-icers that are calcium chloride.  You would increase the CH to around 120-150 ppm to help reduce foaming.  You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosing.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:46:15 am »
Hi,
Our calcium level is consistently low.  J-365.  2 people almost every night.  Using Leisure Time chems so far.  We throw in a big capful of Renew after each use & I test the water & add several capfuls of Spa 56 chlorine every few days.  (Chlorine is coming in at zero shortly after testing it at "5"...it drops in no time.  Different thread.  Back to calcium.) 

What do y'all use to maintain calcium at the right levels?  How important is it to NOT have low calcium?

Is there a natural thing, like baking soda, that I can use instead of  buying Calcium Boost?

Thanks!

In my opinion it was more important when hot tubs were or are made out of concrete. Fiberglass not so important.
Retired

Sea Bean

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:35 am »
Great, thanks!   

Chem geek wrote, "You would increase the CH to around 120-150 ppm to help reduce foaming."

Does this mean that Leisure Time Foam Down is a calcium increaser?  That's what I have in my bucket.  Didn't come w/ Calcium Boost.  Maybe my dealer agrees w/ you, Tman... 

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:11 am »
I gave up worrying about Calcium a long time ago.  Unless your spa is concrete, or set into concrete where the water from the spa will splash out, don't worry about it. 

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13:56 pm »
If you don't have foaming, then don't worry about the calcium level since, as was noted, it isn't needed unless the spa has plaster/concrete or grout in tile.

Your Leisure Time Foam Down product does not have calcium, but is a silicone-based defoamer such as Polydimethylsiloxane.  If it's working for you to reduce foam, then don't worry about the calcium level.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:31 pm »
I gave up worrying about Calcium a long time ago.  Unless your spa is concrete, or set into concrete where the water from the spa will splash out, don't worry about it.

just for clarification to the newbies this is not entirely true...you need to at least know where your levels are out of the tap because if you are too high you could be in for some issues down the road.  But I do agree as long as your not super high, "tuning" it in to an exact number is not really necessary
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:36:19 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:58:10 pm »

just for clarification to the newbies this is not entirely true...you need to at least know where your levels are out of the tap because if you are too high you could be in for some issues down the road.  But I do agree as long as your not super high, "tuning" it in to an exact number is not really necessary

Yes your right. I rescind my earlier statement. If it's super high it can cause a scaly build up on your heater and stuff.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:58:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42