What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa unattended for two weeks?  (Read 5200 times)

zapta

Spa unattended for two weeks?
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »
What is a good way to leave an above ground spa unattended for let's say 2 weeks, at about the time of a scheduled drain/refill?

Is it ok to just leave it drained for two weeks? Any risk of contamination?

Edit: no snow or ice around here, if it matters.

Thanks,

zapta
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:23:35 pm by zapta »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa unattended for two weeks?
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:19 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Spa unattended for two weeks?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »
I would super chlorinate and turn the temp down and leave it till you get back. If it's funky when you get back super chlorinate again and let it run for a while then drain and refill. But thats just me.
Retired

goose973

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:48:43 pm »
I just had to leave our tub for about 10 days, and I jacked it up with chlorine and turned it down to 85 degrees. Left with about 15-20 ppm chlorine. Returned to 1-2 ppm. I thought about turning down to 80, but winter in PA can get cold.

zapta

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »
I would super chlorinate and turn the temp down and leave it till you get back. If it's funky when you get back super chlorinate again and let it run for a while then drain and refill. But thats just me.

Would  it matter if you will need to drain/refill the spa anyway around that time?

I am using Bromine. What is super chlorination? Is it the same as the weekly shock?  (1/2 TBSP Chlorine per 125gl)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:39 am »

Would  it matter if you will need to drain/refill the spa anyway around that time?

I am using Bromine. What is super chlorination? Is it the same as the weekly shock?  (1/2 TBSP Chlorine per 125gl)

If your using bromine in a floater just let it go, turn the temp down and drain refill when you get back. I don't like leaving tubs dry. Seems like you have more trouble when they are dry for a time then wet again.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:31 am »

This sounds like what I would answer, but since the OP stated there is no chance of freezing, draining it might be ok and it would keep trespassers out if that is an issue.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Wizard

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:14 am »
If you have a saltwater system you could just leaver for a month and come back to crystal clear water. Otherwise, like was mentioned before, turn heat down to around 80 and add 2-3 cups of bleach. If you are using bromine the bleach will be converted to bromine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42