What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Emerald Cygnus 5000 General Help - In house that I purchased  (Read 4633 times)

rab228

Emerald Cygnus 5000 General Help - In house that I purchased
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »
Hello Everyone.
I appreciate you looking at my posting and any helpful responses are greatly appreciated. I purchased a house about 8 months ago and it has a sun room with a hot tub in it. The hot tub appears that it was installed prior to a wall being finished because it does not appear that it will fit through any door. It's in fairly decent shape and I believe that what ever issue it is having can be fixed. I am a pretty handy type guy but have never owned a Hot tub/Spa so I'm looking foor some direction on how to handle a problem that I found.
It's a Emeral Hot Tub/Spa Labels point towards a Cygnus 5000 model.
Initially it seemed to be working ok. I filled it with water purchased a new filter and fixed a couple minor issues that I found. Now I am at a point were other guidence is needed. Please forgiver me if I provide the wrong terminology and please feel free to correct me.
When the hot tub was turned off there was the air bubbles that would continuously come out causing the water to not go stagnet and allow for continued circulation. I believe this is the sorce of my problem is that pump. It worked as it should have for awhile but a few months ago it quit working at the same time that quit working it was having problems heating up. I think that the two are related. I checked the heater element with an ohm meter and the circuit is complete. The pump that is in question is labeled as a Ozone converter with additional marking that include the Emrald Logo.
A friend of mine with some hot tub experience for his personal hot tub suggested this forum and suggested that this circulation pump / Ozone converter is the sorce of the problem and some of them can be repaired/rebuilt. My questions are:
Can it be repaired or should I replace it?
Am I correct in the assesment that if that is not working that it would have an effect on the heating of the water?
Am I correct that the "Ozone Converter" and the continuous circulation pump are one in the same?

Hot Tub Forum

Emerald Cygnus 5000 General Help - In house that I purchased
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:38:33 pm »

rab228

Re: Emerald Cygnus 5000 General Help - In house that I purchased
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:38 pm »
To add a bit more to the information above. The hot tub/Spa is empty right now. Should I fill it at this point? It appears that I could fill it and if that item needs to be replaced I could order a new one and replace it without having to empty the tub again. Also is there such a thing as "back flushing" a hot tub/spa liek you do with a pool?

rab228

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »
Found out a bit more. It appears as if the Ozone converter has nothing to do with the circulation pump. It's also my understanding that my blower also works as the circulation pump versus a traditional water circulation pump the air bubbles are what causes the water to circulate. Hence if the blower worked the circulation should work. Any suggestions?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »
The "ozonator" is a passive devise, which when air is passed or drawn through, converts some of the oxygen into ozone (something else, needs to cause air to move through it). It does not pump or move, water or air, by itself.

An air blower does just that, it blows air into the water, like a kid with a straw and a glass of milk (in other words, it circulates nothing).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42