What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stupid quick question, help please  (Read 3459 times)

ATC Buckeye

Stupid quick question, help please
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
Hello, I have been using bromine in my hot tub, but am currently keeping levels of chlorine in it above 5ppm to battle some white water mold.  I just checked both levels and the chlorine is at 3ppm and the bromine is at the "normal" level on the test strip (I forget the number but it's right in the middle of the colors on the strip).

Is the spa safe to soak in in this condition, with "normal" levels of both chlorine and bromine?  I'd love to use it tonight as I see no more white mold flakes currently, and it's supposed to start snowing soon. 

Thanks and merry Christmas!

Hot Tub Forum

Stupid quick question, help please
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Stupid quick question, help please
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:52:43 pm »
Chlorine test strips will register a reading with bromine and bromine test strips will register a reading with chlorine.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:00:07 pm »
Really?   I tried a chlorine strip before I put any dichlor in and it showe. zero but still showed a normal bromine reading. After adding dichlor I've got high chlorine levels but normal bromine readings.

Doesnt matter much anyway cuz white flakes still appear when i run the jets so no soaking yet.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:55 pm »
Really?   I tried a chlorine strip before I put any dichlor in and it showe. zero but still showed a normal bromine reading. After adding dichlor I've got high chlorine levels but normal bromine readings.

Doesnt matter much anyway cuz white flakes still appear when i run the jets so no soaking yet.

I recommended you a product that would have taken care of your mold issue over a week ago I believe...If your just using chlorine to attempt to remove all of it plan on waiting until your old and grey

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:56 am »
Yeah I know,  I have the product name you suggested written down but I'm trying Chas' dichlor killing method because I have done one purge and drain (and superchlorination and drain) and with the 8" of snow and freezing temps I've got now I just dont have another purge and drain in me right now. But I do believe the dichlor treatment is working.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:04 am »
Thank you for the product suggestion tho if it comes down to it I will purge it again.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42