What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: first time hot tub buyer questions  (Read 2457 times)

flybowman

first time hot tub buyer questions
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:25 pm »
Hello, Im looking at buying my first hot tub. It is a 2003 Coast spa whilea. I know buying a used older tub is not reccomended by most hot tub folks but a new one is not in my budget. This tub is a 450 gallon, 8x8,  in very good condition inside and out has been set up in a garage for most of its life. It has had one of the two 5hp pumps replaced 2 years ago under warranty and most of the jets have been replaced as well. It needs only a new cover and three new jets. The outside skirt is in perfect condition. Ive looked at lots of tubs, talked to many folks selling them and I dont usually trust most of what I hear but this guy selling it is a good guy and I feel very comfortable buying from him. It has been drained but he is filling and heating it so I can see that everything is working properly. By the way it comes with the complete electrical setup  and the whole package is $500 , seems like a great deal to me. This is my main question. I live in Michigan and am at this minute being blasted by a snow storm. It is my intention to build a temporary structure of treated 2x6 framing on 12" centers, along with interior bracing covered with 5/4 treated deck boards and lay this structure directly on top of a 3 or 4 inch bed of pea gravel (to level the surface ) which I will lay on top of my lawn which is mostly dirt.Obviously I will clear all the snow away first. I know this method will not last forever but I'm hoping it will at least take me to the summer. I welcome any advice that I can get. I have spent many hours on the internet and get conflicting advice everywhere I go. I know that a concrete pad is the best solution but it is not an option right now as I have to bring the tub home. Would also like to hear opinions on the price. Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

first time hot tub buyer questions
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:25 pm »

ATC Buckeye

Re: first time hot tub buyer questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:36:21 am »
Dont see how you can go wrong for $500. Even if you had to replace every component I'd still think you're ahead. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:28:50 am »
Can you see it running and up to temp? If so, its a decent deal.  My last tub used a lot of common components as COAST and the jets started failing rapidly at 8-9 years and were my primary reason for replacing it., (Though I liked the variety and operation of those jets.)  That is a big tub and Coast doesn't insulate that well, IMO, and you are in Michigan so the cost to heat might be higher than some models.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:28:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42