What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub running 110 volt in cold weather (Chicago)  (Read 12854 times)

kobra56b

Hot tub running 110 volt in cold weather (Chicago)
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »
i should have done my homework before buy this tub http://www.wayfair.com/Atlantic-Outdoor-6-Person-18-Jet-110-V-Spa-OdysseyS-TNR1274.html with it running at 110 volts. THe problem i couldnt have a 220 volt tub since the circuit breaker couldnt handle the load. Is there anything that i could do to keep the temperature hot longer (103 degrees) than 90 minutes without the top on. It currently drop from 103 to 97 degrees in 90 minutes when the temperature is at 30 degrees outside
Another heating element, heating pump or pump the water through a tankless water heater etc. Any input would be appreciate.

Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub running 110 volt in cold weather (Chicago)
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

JohnnyK45

Re: Hot tub running 110 volt in cold weather (Chicago)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »
WOW, you're a long soaker!  :D  A friend of mine has a DreamMaker hot tub that looks similar to yours - we're in WI and on really cold days, he says he'll limit the air controls, or just keep them off; so, you could try that, which should keep things warmer a bit longer.  But, I don't think you can expect a couple of hours to a few hours in real cold weather with a tub running 110.  90 minutes for that kind of tub with temps below the freezing point sounds pretty good actually.  Oh, can't you start at 104 vs. 103 - that may buy you another 15 minutes.

J

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
depending on how "handy" you are another option would be to pull off your side panels and add more insulation yourself (either batt or spray in foam) which I've seen customers do in the past with some success

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
Modify the surrounding area to block/reduce wind?

JohnnyK45

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »
His tub is all sealed like a DreamMaker (judging from the photo), any access would have to be through the bottom; likely a set of holes that go around the bottom, which would require him to drain the tub.  But, visually, that is going to be all filled-in up to those areas anyway I would think.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »
His tub is all sealed like a DreamMaker (judging from the photo), any access would have to be through the bottom; likely a set of holes that go around the bottom, which would require him to drain the tub.  But, visually, that is going to be all filled-in up to those areas anyway I would think.

my bad I didn't even look at the picture to realize it was roto-molded...in that case you can check the equipment compartment to see if access is available to add insulation, if not then the bottom would be your only access point.

and for $2699 I can guarantee all those "areas" are not filled with insulation...for that price I don't even know how that thing can make it through the supplier chain and still turn a profit...they must have child labor assembling those things

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »

my bad I didn't even look at the picture to realize it was roto-molded...in that case you can check the equipment compartment to see if access is available to add insulation, if not then the bottom would be your only access point.

and for $2699 I can guarantee all those "areas" are not filled with insulation...for that price I don't even know how that thing can make it through the supplier chain and still turn a profit...they must have child labor assembling those things

It says fully foamed so I'm not sure how much more he could add to that that would make a difference. The issue is with it being 110V if you are running the pumps for 30 minutes it doesn't matter how well its insulated on the sides and bottom, you're going to drop in temp with it open and running just like a cup of coffee loses temp when you sit there and stir it to cool it down. I think 110V spas are perfectly fine for temperate climates or for those who are like me and sit in their spa for no more than 20 minutes and have the pumps on for only about 10% of the time I'm in it. In the case of this poster I'm not sure what more he can do other than limit the amount of time he's running the pump cause whenever that pump is on high speed that heater is off (and you can't increase the KW of the heater).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:58:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42