What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Racking My Brain out on what to buy...Can't research anymore  (Read 10921 times)

sorebikr

Re: Racking My Brain out on what to buy...Can't research anymore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 09:42:37 am »
of all the spa brands on the market, people are scared/worried about Hot Springs' business model?? hahahahaha (sorry funniest thing I've read on the web today) you do realize Hot Spring is owned by a multi-BILLION dollar Fortune 500 company right?  Hot Spring and Jacuzzi may own the entire industry one day...ok maybe a little far fetched but if the economy doesn't pick up most of the "small fish" will eventually get eaten up.  Between '08 and '09 over 33% of spa manufacturers disappeared or were bought up by other companies and the trend continues today, I believe the number went from 150 to less than 100 in that short time frame.   

This could be an interesting discussion around the definition of "good".  Good for the consumer, or good for the local dealer, or good for the multi-gazillion dollar company.  Could've been at least.  Instead, might I suggest you check out www.reddit.com/funny if my post about GM's business model was your biggest laugh of the day. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 09:42:37 am »

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 11:45:11 am »
hot spring ace... either it's my computer and the links or the  caldera and hot spring spa you sent me are the EXACT same spa.   that's scary that they have the  exact make up, etc and are 2 diff companies. that's why i wonder if buy laguna bay or belize online if it's the same as a hot spring or sundance in retail but a 3 k mark up. scary.

I'm not sure why you think its scary, maybe I need to explain it further. Watkins has Hot Spring dealers and Caldera dealers. They compete against each other just like GM and Buick dealers compete against each other. Most of the Hot Spring products and Caldera products are unique to each other. However, a few years ago Watkins saw a need for a value brand in that $5500 to $7k range and created the Hot Spot line for Hot Springs and Vacanza for Caldera that they sell to each just like GM may make a car for both Chevy and Buick which is basically the same car just branded differently for each.

Well, lets not use GM as a good business model, k?  GM has GMC, Chevy and Buick competing against each other.  With essentially the same vehicle, re-badged with minor tweaks to the interior and options.  Its the same model they ran for decades, and the same business model that nearly drove them out of business.  They've already killed olds, pontiac, saab, hummer for that exact same reason.  Too much product (88 different vehicles at one point) with virtually no differentiation.  So it is a bit "scary" to see other industries follow the same lousy business model.  Lousy?  Yes.  Because the only reason it can succeed is at the expense of the consumer, where the lack of transparency/viability into specs and reliability lead to inflated prices.

Except Watkins only does this with a couple models in the value brand end of the business whereas GM did this pretty much top to bottom.

Hot Spring has the Highlife and Limelight collections while Caldera has the Paradise and Utopia and they are NOTHING like each other. The fact they each share 3 models in the Hot Spot and Vacanza lines does not muddy the water. Its their way of making moderately priced spas available to the dealers to compete on all levels and has worked remarkably well for both the dealers and consumers.

psg

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 12:54:08 pm »
Last night I went to the Laguna Bay "showroom" near Philadelphia. 

I took the side covers off an X-12 model spa to check out the build quality.

I was REALLY hoping to be able to say "Well, it's not *that* bad", but I couldn't ... while it looked real nice on top, there was a distinct lack of quality and workmanship under the hood.

Pumps were held down to plywood bits with utility screws, wires were loose (even one pump ground wire wasn't grounded) and just laying on the bottom.

I could put up with some "not pretty" for the sake of saving a few thousand bucks, but not this.

My research continues too.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
So, you don't like the screws and sloppy inside work, aren't you expecting a bit much, c'mon, that tub lists for $10,000 and NOW, you can get if for the amazing and awesome super duper low crazy price of just $3,800!!!  :D For that savings, one could surely buy 24K gold screws and install them, no?  ;D

Is this the amazing X-12?  See link below.  How much was your local dealer asking for this amazing 81 jet tub?  $3800 here...from today's never ending Laguna Bay Craigslist postings...

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ppd/3451756369.html

J

PS - Worth noting, they do not put any phone number on their corporate website; that should be a HUGE red flag; and two, they have had 48 complaints in the past 3 years according to the BBB; BUT, BUT, because they pay the BBB to be listed as "accredited", they have BOUGHT an A- rating, when in reality, it would likely hover in the D range. 

You have to love the BBB; many years ago they were a reliable source for some honest reporting; now, the past 5 years or so, anyone who offers horrible service or delivers a bad product can buy their letter grade - when I see any company yapping on their promo material over and over that they are "accredited" by the BBB, I immediately think, "stay clear" or "ok, what did they do?"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:51:50 pm by JohnnyK45 »

vjsj35

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 08:02:49 am »
thanks for all the replies. obv leaning local now.   appreciate it. i'll keep you all posted.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 08:02:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42