What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Laing Circ. Pump.  (Read 5096 times)

widnes

Laing Circ. Pump.
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:16 am »
Hi all.
just recently replaced my circ pump on my Jacuzzi J345....again.....
I have searched this site and web and found what seems to be that they are not the best pumps out there.
However, I decided to take the old pump apart to see if it could be repaired.  Under the end cap, the pump has a circuit board for drive, etc (guessing).
Just wondering if anyone has a schematic for this motor (E10 series, 230V) or has anyone ever fixed one of these motors.  Have electronics background and would love to have a backup for next time pump goes.
If I can get it going, would be willing to post up repair procedure (that is if I can get it going) so we don't have to continually buy new motors.....not cheap up here in the Great White North....
Thanks in advance
Ditton

Hot Tub Forum

Laing Circ. Pump.
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:16 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Laing Circ. Pump.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
I don't see enough info about the motor itself yet, but that's never stopped me before!!  ;)

I have come across many motors which would not start - just sat there and hummed - which I brought back to life with a simple replacement capacitor. Specifically, the starting cap. Worth a shot, they are not all that expensive and most repair folks don't want to mess with anything other than a complete replacement of the motor and/or pump.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

widnes

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 02:06:01 pm »
Yes Chas, sort of helps.
However, this is why I was looking for a schematic.  In the rear of the motor there is a complete circuit board with a lot of circuits.  The main filter cap looks to be OK (not swollen or such) but not 100% sure.  Haven't had time to get that board out yet to have a closer look......Think a simple motor would have been better for this use, not sure why all the circuitry in there is needed.
Hopefully something simple
Cheers

widnes

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:43:31 am »
OK...just a report back.
What a piece of crap.   I have never seen a motor like it....definately not for repairs in mind.
There is an IC under the pcb that is glued (rather good I may add) to a metal tab.   De-soldered what I could (pins to motor) but when trying to pry the board out, it ripped the IC from the board, traces and all....even worse, the fuse is underneath the pcb (WTF).....it was ok to boot.
I think the next time the Laing circ pump goes I will look into another type of pump.
For the cost of the pump, I would have expected longer life.
Does anyone know of anyother circ pumps that will work in Jacuzzi 345 tubs?
Thanks in advance
Widnes

PS.....what happend to good old motors with just brushes, etc.......why have all this circuitry on a board that runs continually.....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:20:41 pm »
Well, I'm at a bit of a loss. I know that HotSpring uses the smaller Laing pump, which runs at a higher RPM and moves the same amount of water at a lower amperage (so, a lower operating cost), however I don't think you can find one set up for 220 volt operation.

The CB you mention is foreign to me, all the older style Laing pumps which were used by HS did not have such a thing.

This is the pump you are typing about, right?

If so, it's about $175 from scattered on line sources.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:42:34 pm »
OK...just a report back.
What a piece of crap.   I have never seen a motor like it....definately not for repairs in mind.
There is an IC under the pcb that is glued (rather good I may add) to a metal tab.   De-soldered what I could (pins to motor) but when trying to pry the board out, it ripped the IC from the board, traces and all....even worse, the fuse is underneath the pcb (WTF).....it was ok to boot.
I think the next time the Laing circ pump goes I will look into another type of pump.
For the cost of the pump, I would have expected longer life.
Does anyone know of anyother circ pumps that will work in Jacuzzi 345 tubs?
Thanks in advance
Widnes

PS.....what happend to good old motors with just brushes, etc.......why have all this circuitry on a board that runs continually.....

Thats the reason the are replaced vs repaired.   I would agree it was not the best circ pump for Jacuzzi, some seem to run forever some seem to have problems, usually its the impellar that gets out of whack.    You can find other circ pumps out there but they have to be 220v.   Might check out Grundfos pumps they seem to be pretty good.     Best thing Jacuzzi did was change to the larger higher flow circ pumps, we have not replaced one since they did.     While they may use a bit more power they filter way more water and as "far" as I can tell have a zero failure rate.    Time will tell. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:49 pm »
Well, I'm at a bit of a loss. I know that HotSpring uses the smaller Laing pump, which runs at a higher RPM and moves the same amount of water at a lower amperage (so, a lower operating cost), however I don't think you can find one set up for 220 volt operation.

The CB you mention is foreign to me, all the older style Laing pumps which were used by HS did not have such a thing.

This is the pump you are typing about, right?

If so, it's about $175 from scattered on line sources.

8)

Jacuzzi used pretty much that same one, 115v in the convertable spa's and 220v in the others.    As far as the c,board I have no idea, never opened one up..     I actually use one with a 50sqft filter to help filter my 165 gallon fish tank, works great..    ;D 

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:50:31 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

widnes

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:14 am »
Hi guys...Thanks for the replies.
Yep, certainly looks like it......
Hopefully this new one lasts a while..........
They are certainly not made to be repaired.  If new one goes I will be definatley looking to an alternative.
Thanks.
Widnes....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:46:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42