What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Running on 110 with Cooler Outside Temps  (Read 10318 times)

JohnnyK45

Running on 110 with Cooler Outside Temps
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »
Quick report on running 110 with some cooler outside temps by me...

My hot tub can run on 110 or 220; currently have it hooked up as 110.

Outside temp by me about an hour ago was 28 degrees with a slight breeze.

I had my hot tub temp set to 104; put jets on high and of my two air controls, had one on for the jets around me.

After 45 minutes (which is my normal soak time), got out, threw in my EcoOne packet and checked my hot tub temp, it dropped to 101.  So, a 1 degree drop every 15 minutes with outdoor temps at 28 degrees.  Cover was fully off.

Thus far, no issues with keeping the water warm and comfortable for my entire soak with the above outside temperature.

J
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:29:02 pm by JohnnyK45 »

Hot Tub Forum

Running on 110 with Cooler Outside Temps
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Running on 110 with Cooler Outside Temps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
I would imagine the other half of the unasked question would then be:  How long did it take to get back up to 104?  For most people it wont matter if it takes 3hrs or 6hrs since you're sleeping the whole time anyways. 

JohnnyK45

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:45:01 am »
Good question; from past re-fills, my tub on 110 hits about 2.5 degrees per hour.  So, if I ever wanted to return to the tub after getting out (and have it back to 104), I guess I would check it in a little over an hour.  Although for me, once I get out for the night, I'm done anyway.

By the way, anyone else notice how nuts the spam bots have invaded the site with non-stop fake new customer names that crop up by the hour?  I think the mods need to create a "qualifier" question to stop this; like 2+2=  or, humans have how many eyes?  I could be wrong, but I think other forums do this kind of thing to prevent these spam bots from cluttering things up.

J
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:47:02 am by JohnnyK45 »

egclassic

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »
I believe it costs more to operate at 110v than 220v. because 220v draws less amps.
Some tubs do not allow the heater and jets to run at the same time at 110v, correct?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:41:03 pm »
Moderators only moderate...they can't change any settings or reprogram anything.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »
Nope....Cost is almost exactly the same. A 110v heater puts out 1/4 the heat as a 220v heater, and uses 1/4 the electricity per hour. or, it uses 1/4 the power but has to run 4 times as long.

The only added cost with 110v is the possible additional time the pump needs to run (which is 0 if the spa heats on a 24 hour circ pump).

I believe it costs more to operate at 110v than 220v. because 220v draws less amps.
Some tubs do not allow the heater and jets to run at the same time at 110v, correct?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JohnnyK45

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »

That is correct.  I just wanted to share this info because if one is in a situation and they can only do 110 short-term or long-term, they shouldn't hold back on getting a hot tub – there are some nice choices out there for 110; or, getting a hot tub similar to ours that can do either might be a good option as well.

For us, our home was built in 1931 and although everything is great inside and out, our wiring service has not been updated and I thought I'd see how 110 does in our cooler weather for the first year before exploring 220 (if I thought necessary - which so far, I'm very pleased as it is).

J

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »
just depends on what part of the country your in...110v is never recommended in MN, well I shouldn't say never because I do have customers (believe it or not, *gasp*) who actually shut their spa down for the winter, but yes as you start moving south and temps are more moderate during the winter months then 110v may be sufficient and will also save money on electrical installation (typically, unless your breaker panel is full and you need a dedicated line, etc.)

JohnnyK45

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 03:44:59 pm »
Well, I'm in the cold part; WI!  Cheeseheads, Packers (well, ignore that game Sunday night...I have no clue what team in green and gold showed up...)  ;D   :(

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to test first hand and see just how it does with cooler temps and winter.  Off the top, not sure I would use the tub if temps get below the low to mid teens; I think the wind, windchill, etc. would come too much into play.  Yet, our yard is a bit enclosed as it is smaller, so some wind protection a little with a 6ft fence on one side, our house (which is about 4ft from the tub) on the other side, etc.  My gut feeling is I think we'll be ok at the temps in the mid to high teens; just perhaps soak for 30 min. instead of 45 if the degrees fall faster.  Although too (perhaps an option, but doesn't interest me), a friend of mine in WI has a Dream Maker that runs on 110, he goes out and just keeps his jets on low and leaves the air controls off on the coldest of winter days.  Based on what I've seen so far, I think I'll be ok running my jets on high and such as I have - I'll report my findings when our temps get in that range - I want to push this tub at 110 and see what she can do Captain!  ;D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »
Well, I'm in the cold part; WI!  ... I want to push this tub at 110 and see what she can do Captain!  ;D

Aye! Thanks for this report Johnny.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
Johnny do you have a Nordic spa?

JohnnyK45

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 12:23:42 pm »
Here is my spa...

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php/topic,16101.0.html

J

oh ok, for some reason I thought you had a round Nordic, we just picked up the Nordic line after they dropped the other dealer in town, we also sporadically sell Viking as well, I have an Aurora II on my floor right now...good value tubs

JohnnyK45

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:42:41 pm »
Neat about Viking.  If you ever talked with an AJ or I think Tom in their sales group, really nice guys, same with their tech guys.  When shopping around, they always returned my calls and answered my questions - keep in mind, I was looking into one of their cheaper priced tubs and they gave me all their time - I can't say enough about my experience with them in that regard, A+.

Speaking of Nordic, I did have interest in a round one from them when I was looking, but the only local dealer in my area was being absurd; and quoted me close to $800 over the list price on the tub I had interest in; he wanted to push a tub that was in stock and too large for my needs.  So, just passed on it; and interestingly, after my search, went back to the first tub that caught my interest and really fit what I was looking for, that being the Viking 2.  I really like the quality, feel and look of the shell material; not sure if it's the same on their Aurora or not; might be unique to just their round tubs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:44:47 pm by JohnnyK45 »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »
Neat about Viking.  If you ever talked with an AJ or I think Tom in their sales group, really nice guys, same with their tech guys.  When shopping around, they always returned my calls and answered my questions - keep in mind, I was looking into one of their cheaper priced tubs and they gave me all their time - I can't say enough about my experience with them in that regard, A+.

Speaking of Nordic, I did have interest in a round one from them when I was looking, but the only local dealer in my area was being absurd; and quoted me close to $800 over the list price on the tub I had interest in; he wanted to push a tub that was in stock and too large for my needs.  So, just passed on it; and interestingly, after my search, went back to the first tub that caught my interest and really fit what I was looking for, that being the Viking 2.  I really like the quality, feel and look of the shell material; not sure if it's the same on their Aurora or not; might be unique to just their round tubs.

I believe the V100 shell to be different, but the Viking round and aurora should have the same shell material...it is slightly different looking/feeling than other roto-molded designs I've came across, almost feels like a thick "glaze" over the shell...that's the best way I can describe it anyway.  There is a few small upgrades I would make, but of course upgrades cost money and I like the price point they sell for because it gives most people the ability to afford a spa and I truly believe EVERYONE should own a spa for relaxation

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42