What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Flaking or Scum  (Read 7656 times)

ssilver853

Flaking or Scum
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »
Guys

I've had my tub for about 2 months (Jacuzzi J245) and the water has been fine (balanced), using leisure time chemicals.

Yesterday went out and had a major scum line / scaling around tub, pillows, etc... Also had it floating in water. If you stick your hand in tub, it actually sticks to our skin. 

Looking for some help! Not sure what to do or what it is?  Thanks, Sean

Hot Tub Forum

Flaking or Scum
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »

sorebikr

Re: Flaking or Scum
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:00:07 pm »
Time to start making a list:
-What are the new variables.  Did you introduce anyone new to the tub?  Did you introduce anything new?
- What are the chemicals telling you (Chlorine, PH, Alk, etc.)
- Have you been away from the house where someone else (kids, neighbors) could've snuck in a soak
- Leave it uncovered?
- Does looking at the filter tell you anything

ssilver853

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »
I had my niece in the tub with my kids on Sunday... Her 1st time.

Only new chemical was foam down
Alk - 80
PH - seems low 6.8 but was over 7.2 yesterday
Haven't left it uncovered or been away from the house
Filter was dirty yesterday, so i cleaned it

Just opened hot tub... Water is clear no flaking in the water but tons of scale along the water line. Scum in tub seems to happen when jets are on.

Sean

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:16:49 am »

We have a winner! (In all likelyhood.  How old is she? Old enough to wear makeup and deoderant, and possibly moisturizer?  Did she have a suit that might have been washed and used fabric softener?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:52 am »

Only new chemical was foam down
Alk - 80
PH - seems low 6.8 but was over 7.2 yesterday
Haven't left it uncovered or been away from the house
Filter was dirty yesterday, so i cleaned it

Just opened hot tub... Water is clear no flaking in the water but tons of scale along the water line. Scum in tub seems to happen when jets are on.

Sean

what is your calcium hardness level at? do you have an accurate test kit to test it?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:22 am »
What is your sanitizer?   :o
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

sorebikr

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »
Probably the little girl - I hear they have cooties.  :)

My gf and I usually don't wear suits in the tub, but a few weeks back my parents were visiting, so I had to put on one.  The next time I opened the lid, it was so full of foam you'd think I'd dumped laundry detergent in by the handful.  Took me quite a while to realize what had happened. 

ssilver853

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 07:01:18 pm »
I agree... It was my niece.  Calcium is between 300 an 400.  I use nature and leisure time Spa 56.

Just ordered leisure time enzyme.... My spa dealer said to add 2 ounces and it should clear up.

Thoughts...

Thanks for the help!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »
I agree... It was my niece.  Calcium is between 300 an 400.  I use nature and leisure time Spa 56.

Just ordered leisure time enzyme.... My spa dealer said to add 2 ounces and it should clear up.

Thoughts...

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't recommend running calcium near 400ppm...you will develop scale buildup within your plumbing and heater...not to mention it "feels" much better to soak in softer water, a good level is right around 150ppm...the fact that this "flaking" shoots out when you run the jets is an indicator to me than you have some buildup within the plumbing...although I can't see it so I can't say that with 100% certainty

ssilver853

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:04 pm »
Do you think the enzyme will help?  How do I reduce calcium?

Thanks

deld

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »
Yes, how do we reduce calcium?  The pool calculator says replace with water that softer.  Well since I don't have a water softener I don't have access to softer water.

I don't have a tub yet, or water testing kit, but I checked the city's water report and out of the tap the CH is about 290.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 12:37:09 pm »
Yes, how do we reduce calcium?  The pool calculator says replace with water that softer.  Well since I don't have a water softener I don't have access to softer water.

I don't have a tub yet, or water testing kit, but I checked the city's water report and out of the tap the CH is about 290.

obviously filling and/or diluting with soft water is the easiest...if you do not have that ability you do still have a couple options.

#1 a "portable" RV water softener which can be had for around $200-$350 (this is what I use in my showroom, works well) http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/SoftenersMineral.htm

#2 you could use a Hot Spring Vanishing Act Bag, which is a bag that is placed in the footwell area of the spa and will remove calcium as well.  http://www.poolproducts4less.com/vanishing-act-spa-calcium-remover.html?gdftrk=gdfV22072_a_7c454_a_7c6351_a_7c76029&gclid=CLfQ2oDF1rMCFck7Mgodd2AAFQ

deld

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:24:04 am »
Thank you!

ssilver853

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:42 pm »
Thanks for the Help and response's! I put the enzyme in yesterday, seems to be working also have been rotating filters.  Hopefully will be totally cleared up in the next couple of days.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:36:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42