What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does anyone use Spa Pure chemicals from Home Depot?  (Read 9077 times)

Shawn

Does anyone use Spa Pure chemicals from Home Depot?
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »
I was just wondering if  anyone use Spa Pure chemicals from Home Depot?  The price is less than half of what I usually pay!  Just wondering if there as good as the others?  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Does anyone use Spa Pure chemicals from Home Depot?
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Does anyone use Spa Pure chemicals from Home Depot?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:51:10 am »
I have repaired many spas owned by people who went cheap on the chems. The most common error is using a powdered chlorine which turned out to be Calcium Hypochlorite instead of Dichlor. Has a pH of around 13, and can coat a spa - including the heating element - in calcium pretty much overnight.

Next would be clarifiers which foam the spa up, defoamers which don't, and filter cleaners which stain concrete and kill wildlife.

Other than that...

"Dry Acid" and "Baking Soda" are pretty universal.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

goose973

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »
We use spa pure chemicals and are very happy with them. We don't however, get them at home depot. We got them from our dealer when we bought the spa. Our dealer's price was way higher than the price at other dealers or an online merchant, though. Our dealer is also about an hour away. Consequently, I buy from another dealer that is closer or online.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:25:24 pm »
always check the contents label to make sure your not getting something that is much less effective, therefore voiding any savings you may have incurred. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:10 am »
always check the contents label to make sure your not getting something that is much less effective, therefore voiding any savings you may have incurred.

Good point, I have a Home Depot less than a mile from my house so this would be convenient.  I don't know if every store has them, or where they would be in my store.  I'll check them out the next time I'm in there.  I like to vary where I buy mine so I usually end up buying different brands.    I probably have bought most of my chemicals from what is now my dealer, but I'll buy from the competitor up the street and other places just so I have the opportunity to look at tubs and other cool stuff.  I buy online once in awhile as well.  (Hint to the company that owes me some  MPS  ;))
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:10 am »
Not to highjack, but I have questions along this line.

If someone would, please give the brand and name of each chemical that would be benefitional to our bodies and our spas. I suppose you mean "liquid" chlorine?
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42