What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Not heating to displayed tempature  (Read 2790 times)

Shawn

Not heating to displayed tempature
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:17:11 pm »
Hi,  I have a Balboa Spa pack and the water temperature in the tub does not match the set or the displayed temperature - it differs by 4 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a new pack, and I had the same problem with the old Balboa pack.  I have tried various thermometers, all read the same.   I have heard there is a jumper on the board that will let you heat past 104? I'd just like to get the tub up a couple more degrees because my tub maxes out at 100 when set to 104.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:55:24 pm by Shawn »

Hot Tub Forum

Not heating to displayed tempature
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:17:11 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Not heating to displayed tempature
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:24 am »
What are you using to check the actual temperature with? If it's a pool thermometer...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:56:40 pm »
What are you using to check the actual temperature with? If it's a pool thermometer...

8)

Is a pool thermometer good or bad?  I've been giving this some thought lately.  Over the years I've gotten very good at judging a hot tub's temp to within a half degree every time. Now that is a half degree based on either the thermometer or the display on that tub.  Just having gotten a new tub, it seems this tub is possibly a full degree away from the other. IIts possible my old tub read consistently a degree high or my new tub is consistently a degree low, or some point in between. Or its possible I've lost my mind.  Its not a problem, I set it to where its comfortable and I can turn it up as high as I want.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:05:49 pm »
Let's just say that Pool thermometers have earned our service department a lot of money over the years. My daughter just graduated with her BA degree from an expensive, private university, debt free, thanks in large part to Pool thermometers.

I have NO problem with Pool thermometers.

No problem at all.

8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:29 am »
Let's just say that Pool thermometers have earned our service department a lot of money over the years. My daughter just graduated with her BA degree from an expensive, private university, debt free, thanks in large part to Pool thermometers.

I have NO problem with Pool thermometers.

No problem at all.

8)

Getting sucked in and broke?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »
No, they just don't seem to be anywhere near accurate. The problem is that most of them do not have the gradations on the glass, rather, they have a plain glass tube with the gradations on a card of some type. They fasten the two together with staples (usually stainless steel) and then they put a dab of hot glue or something similar to hold the two parts in alignment together. But whatever that stuff is, the temperatures in a hot tub, combined with the jet action, tends to loosen things up.

I'm not at all sure that this is the problem of the OP, but I sure do recommend that we rule out the obvious first. So OFTEN I get to a service call only to find that the tub is at a perfectly usable temperature, and nothing whatsoever is wrong, except the thermometer... And since we ask about it in advance on the phone, I charge my usual ($95) to throw their thermometer away and show them that the actual temperature in their tub is fine, and it usually turns out that the tub continues to work fine after my visit, indicating that I was correct in my diagnoses.

Now, I see that the OP has modified his post: he has tried several thermometers and they all read the same. That is good troubleshooting, BTW. Now he reports that the tub is simply not hot enough for him - it maxes at 100 when set to 104. It's not unusual for systems to be off by a degree or two - but if the tub cannot get hot enough for you to enjoy, then it's time to try for a fix. I would try new temp sensors first. A good ohm meter can tell you if there is a difference between the two sets: measure it first with the old set, then install and let it all get back up to temp - check the new set. If you don't see a difference in the resistance, then you will have to keep working.

8)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:42:41 pm by Chas »

Shawn

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »
I have a brand new spa pack, do you think the temperature sensors are faulty?  Is there a way of increasing the temp of the tub with a jumper?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42