What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In the home stretch and need opinions/input please  (Read 9281 times)

RogerWilkerson

In the home stretch and need opinions/input please
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
We are entering the home stretch and have our two final wet tests tonight and tomorrow.

In the Jacuzzi corner we have the Jacuzzi J-365 weighing in at 91 x 84, fully foamed, 32 jets, priced at $8550.00 including the cover, lifter, steps, delivery and set up with starter chemicals. No hard negotiation yet but likely to see a 300-500 reduction in that price.

In the Hot Spring corner we have the Vanguard, weighing in at 87 x 87, also fully foamed, also with 32 jets, priced at $9500.00 including the cover, lifter, steps, delivery and set up with starter chemicals. She dropped the price to 9500.00 last night but I got the feeling there was no more to be given.

Both dealers are equally reputable, both are BBB Accredited, neither have any complaints, one is in business 20 years, the other for 31.

I don't think there is a bad choice here but give me some input, any owners out there to tell me what they think? anyone with pricing info to share? Is it possible that the Hot Spring is actually worth 1000-1500 more than the Jacuzzi?

The only time I had any type of bad taste during this process was when the Hot Spring dealer said "oh yes, Jacuzzi is a great name but they don't compare to Hot Spring, come over here and see this Hot Spot Relay if you want to compare to Jacuzzi"

Is that true?

My thinking is that she either drank the Kool Aid and truly believes that this is the case, or she was engaging in some passive aggressive competitor bashing, thoughts?

Give me some feedback guys and gals, ladies and gents. My money is burning a hole in my pocket and this search has gone on long enough.

Thanks,

Roger

Hot Tub Forum

In the home stretch and need opinions/input please
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: In the home stretch and need opinions/input please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »
Jacuzzi 300 series is close to Hot Spring's Limelight collection..if you want a close comparison check out the Pulse...near identical warranties, 1 filter design w/ bypasses, similar price ranges, plenty of jets, lights, waterfall, etc. although circulation is performed differently...Hot Spring/Limelight will circulate silently 24hrs per day and the Jacuzzi will "kick on" periodically

The Vanguard will add no-bypass filtration (filters 100% of the water when you are using the spa vs. bypassing it) moto-massage which is a patented jet, Tri-X filter option (which btw, sales pitch aside are really nice filters and much easier to clean than a paper filter) and a little more selection of jetting vs the Pulse or the Jacuzzi.

Now some or all of that may or may not mean much to you in the end because after-all both are nice spas from reputable manufacturers, which is why a wet-test is crucial imho...so test them out and let us know what you think...the decision may become easy for you and the family after you have sat in both

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:54:50 pm »
 Good Lord!  No comparing the J-365 to the limelight series, though most HS dealers would like to believe ::)     Look at the difference and size in jets and how it feels when running, the filtration 2 60sqft vs one 50sqft, std clearray system, the "silent" high flow circ pump that yes does run 24hrs a day, two divertor handles for more water control.   Sit in them both and let  a wet test decide which you like better..

Not to mention a few more color options to offer. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:57:00 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

RogerWilkerson

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »
Thanks Jim for confirming the circ pump question. I was in the process of going back to check my research.

I was under the impression that the J365 and the Vanguard were similar class hot tubs. I really enjoyed wet testing the 355 but my wife floated out of every chair so we asked them to fill the 365 with the foot dome. That should hold her in  ;D.

I am not adverse to spending more on a tub but I want value for the dollar and I am not sure that the Moto and the TriX filters bring enough to the table to justify 12-1500 extra dollars

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:35:42 pm »
 I should add the limelight series is a a nice line, but when it comes down to the funtion of the spas to the Jacuzzi 300 series it doesn't match up on features.     More in the 200 series with circ added which is an option and a 2 year lesser warranty.      Sounds like you are doing your homework!   

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »
Good Lord!  No comparing the J-365 to the limelight series, though most HS dealers would like to believe ::)     Look at the difference and size in jets and how it feels when running, the filtration 2 60sqft vs one 50sqft, std clearray system, the "silent" high flow circ pump that yes does run 24hrs a day, two divertor handles for more water control.   Sit in them both and let  a wet test decide which you like better..

Not to mention a few more color options to offer. 

ahh Jim...I'm to busy to get into it today  ;D but next time you want to act like you know both products make sure your quoting the right specs otherwise you look foolish

OP...good luck with the wet tests, let us know how it turns out  :)

RogerWilkerson

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »
I am a "doing my homework sort of guy"...lol I research things to death and then it almost isn't fun when I pull the trigger. I am a little bit torn about fully foamed vs not but I think I can get over that. There is a local manufacturer here in STL called Aspen but I think that while they build a nice tub, it doesn't compare to the "Bigs" Theirs is non fully foamed. I just need to make up my mind what is going to be the best for us (and convince my wife that she doesn't need to be beat to death to get good therapy)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »
I should add the limelight series is a a nice line, but when it comes down to the funtion of the spas to the Jacuzzi 300 series it doesn't match up on features.     More in the 200 series with circ added which is an option and a 2 year lesser warranty.      Sounds like you are doing your homework!

your saying a 200 series with a 2 yr warranty is comparable to a limelight with a 5yr warranty that sells in the 8,500-9,000k range??? doh'kay...again looking foolish, look at the specs, jet counts, pump sizes, warranty on Limelight is IDENTICAL to the 300 series

RogerWilkerson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »
I hadn't considered either of those models, looks like the warranty is pretty much identical on the 300 series and the vanguard though. Can you share objectively about what in your opinion would justify the extra expense of the Hot Spring? I really want to know

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:58:45 pm »
I hadn't considered either of those models, looks like the warranty is pretty much identical on the 300 series and the vanguard though. Can you share objectively about what in your opinion would justify the extra expense of the Hot Spring? I really want to know

Limeilight and 300 series are certainly a good comparison as is the Hot Spot and 200 series. Look at everything from both dealers. Don't forget that all the Hot Spring spas will come with the subpanel included as well so factor that in. You're looking at two very good brands overall so its not like there is a bad decision to avoid. Wet test them both and see what you like.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

your saying a 200 series with a 2 yr warranty is comparable to a limelight with a 5yr warranty that sells in the 8,500-9,000k range??? doh'kay...again looking foolish, look at the specs, jet counts, pump sizes, warranty on Limelight is IDENTICAL to the 300 series

Warranty wise you are right "we" as a company offer a 3 year on the 200 series.   Jet wise "type" not how many 44 in the 280/275 are pretty much the same, basic component jet found in many many spa's.   Filtration wise limelight is 65 sqft not 50 my bad again.  The J-280 90X90X37 with a 95 sqft filter, circ pump is an option like I mentioned, led lights are close, you guys just put more holes in your shells below the water line. Stainless is std.   Pump wise they are different 1 2.5 and 1 2hp so yes by adding a the circ pump and adding 3 years to the warranty I would say they line up to the limelight in many ways.   Except the price we sell the 280 at 7800.00 with circ and an additional warranty.

Oh and  :P   

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »

Warranty wise you are right "we" as a company offer a 3 year on the 200 series.   Jet wise "type" not how many 44 in the 280/275 are pretty much the same, basic component jet found in many many spa's.   Filtration wise limelight is 65 sqft not 50 my bad again.  The J-280 90X90X37 with a 95 sqft filter, circ pump is an option like I mentioned, led lights are close, you guys just put more holes in your shells below the water line. Stainless is std.   Pump wise they are different 1 2.5 and 1 2hp so yes by adding a the circ pump and adding 3 years to the warranty I would say they line up to the limelight in many ways.   Except the price we sell the 280 at 7800.00 with circ and an additional warranty.

Oh and  :P

I could take your exact scenario above...spin it around 180 degrees and say that a Hot Spot Rhythm is the same as a J-300 series...oh and we sell those for under 7,000  :P

original poster: don't mind us, just some friendly "chatter" amongst competitors  ;D the long and short of it is that your looking at 2 good companies, wet test to find out which tub you and your family love the best and within your budget of course...jokes aside I would look into the Limelight Pulse if not just as another option to check out, it shares the same roomy "open seat" design you seem to be after and might save you some money all at the same time

Gillian

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »
We've had our Jacuzzi 365 for one month and love it!

RogerWilkerson

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 05:46:39 pm »
Thanks Gillian, that is great information. What other tubs did you shop it against and if you don't mind me asking (and I know pricing varies wildly across the country) what did you pay?

Thanks

Roger

Gillian

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »
We looked at Jacuzzi brand hot tubs only: J345, J355, J365.  At first we thought a lounger would be nice, but after doing research (this site) and talking to friends, decided not to get a lounger.  People say you float out of loungers.  We didn't wet test prior to purchase.  It came down to the J345 or J365. The 345 is 36" deep, the J365 is 38" deep overall. Our friends, in another state, have the J365 and highly recommended it - so we went with it.  I love the foot dome - great place to put your feet even when not using the foot jets.  I like the jets, but honestly I only use them for a few minutes at the beginning of each soak. The seating options are great- the seats vary in depth - the one in the northwest corner is ideal for petite/short people.  There is a neat "cool off" seat that doubles as a step when entering the tub and good for younger kids, too. I love the lights and use them often, as our tub is in a dark spot of our yard.  Our 3 kids (teens, young adults) enjoy it also.  We live in eastern Washington and paid $7500.  Hope that helps! 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42