What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clarifier and ozonators  (Read 2282 times)

jonnyboy2807

Clarifier and ozonators
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:41 pm »
Just a newbie chem question - or rather a clarification: I read an old post from 2006 that contained amongst other topics a theme around not overdoing the clarifier, especially if one has an ozonator. 

Is the issue that it gums up the ozonator?  ... or that because of what comes out of the ozonator, more scum forms around the water line?

Hot Tub Forum

Clarifier and ozonators
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:41 pm »

chem geek

Re: Clarifier and ozonators
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
I haven't seen that post.  If you have a link to it then perhaps I can figure out what they meant.

Overdosing a clarifier has it become more insoluble itself so defeats the purpose of removing (usually negatively charged) particles from the water.  I'm not sure how the ozone plays into this unless the ozone partially oxidizes the clarifier.  Though that might reduce clarifier efficiency by breaking the polymer apart, I wouldn't think that it would cause a bigger problem, but I don't really know.

What I do know is that the mixture of a typical polymeric cationic (positively charged) clarifier with a metal sequestrant (that is typically anionic or negatively charged) will create an ugly precipitated mess since the two will combine with each other.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Clarifier and ozonators
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42