What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-480 purchase: Floor model or new  (Read 10248 times)

TdiDave

Jacuzzi J-480 purchase: Floor model or new
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
I am ready to make a purchase. It will be the Jacuzzi J-480. For the same price I can get a new one ordered in (Without stereo) or the floor model with the stereo. I don't really want or need a stereo. What does everyone think?

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi J-480 purchase: Floor model or new
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »

planetary

Re: Jacuzzi J-480 purchase: Floor model or new
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »
I had a similar choice when I shopped for a 470.  I went with new, factory-built, and didn't get the stereo.

Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
Even if you don't think you need the stereo now, you may wish you had it in the future.  I have one in my Marquis Epic and while I don't use it all the time, it sure is nice to have when I want some tunes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:03:30 pm »
Factory fresh in my opinion...I'm sure there telling you the Stereo is worth some ridiculous high number, but if they won't swap the stereo for cash rebate I would get the factory fresh model...floor models pick up scuffs, dings, dents, light scratches from people climbing in/out (especially if its a "pearl" type color) being moved around multiple times, etc and since you don't want/need it and there not willing to do cash rebate (if you suggest it that is) then I would opt for factory fresh

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:34:41 pm »
 I could go either way.  I love stereos in spa's but I don't love the warrantys they offer.  While we don't replace many maybe one or two a year, I say skip it get a spa from the factory get the color you want and put some outdoor speakers in.. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
I am ready to make a purchase. It will be the Jacuzzi J-480. For the same price I can get a new one ordered in (Without stereo) or the floor model with the stereo. I don't really want or need a stereo. What does everyone think?

Generally I think buying a floor model is a good way to save money but you're not saving any money in this situation, you're getting a stereo included with the spa for your trouble which is not nearly worth it IMO. Easy one for me, I'd go new.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TdiDave

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:44:15 am »
Thanks for the input. i think i will pass on the floor model. The price the dealer has offered seems very fair (no need to beat them up on the price).  I can wait the few weeks for a fresh one to come in. Have to get some electric pulled in the meantime.

Kmill

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »
Free stereo! This is the jbl system with flash memory, usb,cd,aux, and a remote that controls jets,lights and radio. Same warranty on the tub. As long as it dosent have big dents and scratches i would choose the free radio floor model.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:36:36 pm »
Free stereo! This is the jbl system with flash memory, usb,cd,aux, and a remote that controls jets,lights and radio. Same warranty on the tub. As long as it dosent have big dents and scratches i would choose the free radio floor model.

Its not really a free stereo. If that same floor model spa didn't have the stereo/speakers in it he'd probably spend $600-$1000 less for it, that becomes the treu price of the stereo system.

Same warranty as the tub? I doubt that very much, they're usally only 1 year, for good reason.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Kmill

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »
No, same warranty ON the tub meaning the tubs warranty starts from the day of purchase by the customer. The warranty would start at the same time on the floor model as it would on the " factory fresh"  model. I was comparing the situation at hand, being that the floor model in this instance DOES have a stereo compared to the one ordered that does not for the same price thereby leading me to reason that the the radio is free. If the customer turned around and sold his tub in six months wich one could he get the most money for?

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
No, same warranty ON the tub meaning the tubs warranty starts from the day of purchase by the customer. The warranty would start at the same time on the floor model as it would on the " factory fresh"  model. I was comparing the situation at hand, being that the floor model in this instance DOES have a stereo compared to the one ordered that does not for the same price thereby leading me to reason that the the radio is free. If the customer turned around and sold his tub in six months wich one could he get the most money for?

a proper warranty begins the day the tub is placed on the purchasers property, and I think what Spatech meant is that the customer is not really "saving" the $1000-$2000 (no idea what it retails for) retail cost of the stereo, which is the number I'm sure the dealer is using, when in reality he's (the dealer) paying half that for the cost of that stereo at wholesale

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »

Plus one! 

a proper warranty begins the day the tub is placed on the purchasers property, and I think what Spatech meant is that the customer is not really "saving" the $1000-$2000 (no idea what it retails for) retail cost of the stereo, which is the number I'm sure the dealer is using, when in reality he's (the dealer) paying half that for the cost of that stereo at wholesale

jonnyboy2807

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »
I've only had my spa (first one) for a month and I've used the stereo three times even though I soak nightly.  My wife hates it and I can't hear it anyway with the jets going without turning the volume up so high that the neighbours can hear it.  I go in late at night and in my rural village sound travels at night, so I care about being noisy. I've come to appreciate staring at the stars and moon in the peaceful quiet and occasional geese honking as they settle in for the night.  Actually I don't often use the lights either, and if I do it's the dark dark red.  Colour me weird.

Anyway I've listened to the stereo more while doing other things in the back yard during the day, so I consider it a bit of a waste of money - just my 2 cents. Especially because I already had a micro-component system that I move around between the deck and garage whenever I'm doing chores.

Jacuzzi_Kirra

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:04:48 am »
I bought a new 2012 J-480 in Sacramento CA this past June.  It was a brand new model (Serial sticker indicated it was built in April of 2012) that apparently had a small blem on the shell above the radio.  You can't see the blem unless you look very hard and its in direct sunlight.  They would have ordered me a new one without the radio for $9,100 plus tax.  They sold me the one they had on the floor with stereo for $7,999 plus tax and $200 for delivery since I live 100 miles away after I showed the owner the spreadsheet of the offers I was contemplating.  Total out the door was $8,800. 

After comparing the J-480 to the Sundance Optima ($11,000 out the door at one shop and $12,000 out the door at the nearest store) and Maxxus ($13,500 out the door), I'm glad I saved the money bought this one.  I had been quoted $10,500 to $12,000 for the J-480 previously without radio plus tax.  It stereo works great sounds amazing, I like the stereo system and speakers so well we use it every night almost.  When you have both pumps on, you do have to turn the stereo up to 20 plus range to hear it loud enough, which most of the neighbors can probably hear it as well.  I understand that the warranties on the radio are not that great, but since it was free I bought it and now enjoy it so much I would have paid the $800 or so to buy one with a stereo if I ordered a new one.  Anything over that and I would have installed a Bose speakers on the outside of the house facing the spa.

You should be able to get a new one with Stereo for $10,000 plus tax or shop else where if you order one new. 

I visited 12 plus hot tub dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area looking for the right spa and price before I found this one over a 5 month period. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:31:45 am by Kirra »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »
I bought a new 2012 J-480 in Sacramento CA this past June.  It was a brand new model (Serial sticker indicated it was built in April of 2012) that apparently had a small blem on the shell above the radio.  You can't see the blem unless you look very hard and its in direct sunlight.  They would have ordered me a new one without the radio for $9,100 plus tax.  They sold me the one they had on the floor with stereo for $7,999 plus tax and $200 for delivery since I live 100 miles away after I showed the owner the spreadsheet of the offers I was contemplating.  Total out the door was $8,800. 

After comparing the J-480 to the Sundance Optima ($12,000 out the door) and Maxxus ($13,500 out the door), I'm glad I saved the money bought this one.  I had been quoted $10,500 to $12,000 for the J-480 previously without radio plus tax.  It stereo works great sounds amazing, I like the stereo system and speakers so well we use it every night almost.  When you have both pumps on, you do have to turn the stereo up to 20 plus range to hear it loud enough, which most of the neighbors can probably hear it as well.  I understand that the warranties on the radio are not that great, but since it was free I bought it and now enjoy it so much I would have paid the $800 or so to buy one with a stereo if I ordered a new one.  Anything over that and I would have installed a Bose speakers on the outside of the house facing the spa.

You should be able to get a new one with Stereo for $10,000 plus tax or shop else where if you order one new. 

I visited 12 plus hot tub dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area looking for the right spa and price before I found this one over a 5 month period.

ahh the old spreadsheet huh? sounds like you got the "match price and move on to the next one" deal...congrats on being persistent  ;D 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42