What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Basic differences  (Read 4580 times)

GrammaT

Basic differences
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:03:45 am »
What are the basic differences between Hot Springs, hot Spot and Caldera spas?  We are trying to replace a spa and there seem to be sooooo many choices out there.  Does anyone know who manufactures the Garden Leisure Spas?

Hot Tub Forum

Basic differences
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:03:45 am »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Basic differences
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:51 am »
The hot spot is the entry level version of the Hot Spring Line.  Caldera is also made by the same company more of a sister line to Hot Springs.  Garden Leisure is a manufacturer so to answer that question, they make their own tubs.  I have heard of them but have never seen one.  I don't think they are very popular up in the northeast where I'm located

GrammaT

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:26 am »
Thanks for your info.  Is the Caldera line close to being equal to the Hot Springs line? 

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »
Thanks for your info.  Is the Caldera line close to being equal to the Hot Springs line?

Caldera and Hot Spring are both premium spa brands, Limelights are close. Hot Spots are designed to give you a lot of bang for your buck for those who are willing to give up some features and bells/whistles for a lower price. All are made by Watkins and are good options.

GrammaT

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:24 am »
Choice is now down to Caldera Martinique and Hot Springs Sovereign.  Both dealers are reputable. Differences seem to be insulation, pumps (hs 1, c 2), price.  Moto massage not a big deal.  Comments? 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:22 am »
The big differences in the Caldera vs. HotSpring have more to do with the looks and styling than performance. If you had said, "I LOVED the Moto Massage" then the choice would be easier for you. I do hope you have tried the Moto wet?

The two lines had drastically different jets when I was selling both, but now they have incorporated some of the same jets into the HotSpring line. Up until they made that change, you could not shut down the water flow from jets in a HotSpring - you can now, and they have the same jets as the Caldera in many (not all) seats. The jets do interchange from seat to seat in both lines, so if you found a seat with jets you didn't like during your wet test, be sure to check to see if you can move different jets into that location.

Other differences: Filtration is better in the HotSpring. I know this gets a lot of people arguing here on the forums, but I have had both tubs sitting side-by-side on my showroom floor. I can tell you that the HotSpring tubs will clear faster than any single filter system. I have seen HS next to Tiger River, Caldera, Sundance and many off-brand tubs on my showroom floor over the years - and now Freeflow - and the HS still whups 'em all to clear water. Showroom floor tubs DO get cloudy faster than they will in your home (unless you plan on having twenty or so sets of hands being stuck in front of your jets on a busy Saturday morning...) so this is really not such a big deal in your home as it is in the store. But be aware that it IS a difference.

Ozone - check with the dealers, but ozone was not standard on all the Caldera models when I was a dealer, it may be now. It is on the HotSpring Sovereign. All Caldera tubs were "ozone ready" when I was selling, so it can be easily added by the dealer - I suspect they come with it now though.

Blower - an air blower is not available on any HotSpring tub. I don't like blowers, and prefer selling a tub which does not have one, however, there are folks out there who like them. Those people are called "shoppers," because they most likely have not lived with one yet.

My reasons have been reduced by one in the past few years: the noise! They used to be a lot louder - they sound just like a shop vac - but manufacturers have found ways to make them far quieter. Be sure you hear one just like the model you are looking at if it has a blower, to be sure THAT one is quiet. My other reasons for not liking them:
  • They cool the water. Seems like putting AC in a Sauna to me...
  • They bring up a cloud of sanitizer right to eye-level as you sit in the tub inhaling it..
  • They oxidize out sanitizers.
  • They can trap sludge in the air channel, however most new tubs have a system to blow out the air channel once or twice a day (automatically) so this is not much of an issue any more.
  • Most tubs shut off the heater when the air blower comes on.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42