What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical Question - Please Help!!  (Read 1932 times)

newguy35

Electrical Question - Please Help!!
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am going to be a first time hot tub owner in the not-too-distant future. I have been doing my homework, as the entire process is new to me. My question concerns the electrical draw. My house is a small ranch style home, built in 1952.  I have 100amp circuit breaker service. Will I have any issues tripping the breakers when the tub is running? Running on electricity are central A/C, stove/oven, microwave, dehumidifier in basement, hot water tank, washer/dryer. Obviously I have other things like TVs, computers, toaster oven. The central air of course will not be on other than summer. I can't envision a scenario where EVERYTHING will be going at the same time. I really can't afford replacing my 100amp service with 200amp service. Will I be ok with what I have? Does anyone have a similar arrangement? Should I be concerned about this? After all the research I've done and being so close to finally pulling the trigger, I'd hate for this to be an issue.

By the way - the tub I am leaning toward is the Limelight Pulse.

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical Question - Please Help!!
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Electrical Question - Please Help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »
Without know how much amperage each of the large appliances pulls, it's not really possibly to say. However, it's not unlikely that the oven and water heater will be running at the same time. Add in the microwave......well, I'd make a wager you're going to have problems with a 100 amp service.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »
I have 100 amp service and did ok with a hot tub with big pumps and a 5.5kw heater on a 50 amp breaker.  The only time we had a problem was if the tub had pumps running, the AC was on and someone used the microwave or dryer.   Wtih only two of us at home and usually in the hot tub together it wasn't a problem.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:35:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42