What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shopping, trying to figure out monthly electical costs  (Read 4788 times)

Preserved

Shopping, trying to figure out monthly electical costs
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:46:31 pm »
I'm looking at the Hotsprings JetSetter, and the XT models. My dealer tells me each will run me about $15 summer (NH) and $40 winter. I called my electic supplier (Public Service NH) and they tell me "no way".  They say $80 to $100 a month! 

What I'd like is a number for average killowatt hours used on these models. I know it can vary based on temp and usage, but there must be an average.  My cost per kwh is $0.15.

Who is more accurate? Dealer or Electric supplier?

Thanks!

PK

Hot Tub Forum

Shopping, trying to figure out monthly electical costs
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:46:31 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Shopping, trying to figure out monthly electical costs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »
based on your numbers cost of a Jetsetter @ .15cents per kw/h your looking right around $15-$22 per month in your spring, summer, fall and $25-$40 during your 3 coldest months...these of course are approximations, a lot of it will be based on usage of course

A Jetsetter @ .15cents per kw/h is going to run right around .08 - 1.0 cents per hour when not being used..ie just circ pump running. and right around 23-28 cents per hour with your jet pump running, and around 36 - 40 cents per hour with jets, lights, heater, everything going

again these are approximations based on another Hot Spring I am monitoring right now, so I'm sure there is a little "give or take" either way

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:38:15 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

Spoiledrotten

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:57 am »
It may be closer to what your electric supplier says, since they probably just put you on a higher rate due to you telling them about the spa. (speculation)
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road... unless you fail to make the turn."

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:07 am »
It may be closer to what your electric supplier says, since they probably just put you on a higher rate due to you telling them about the spa. (speculation)

Its impossible to give an exact number to you because we don't know what your usage will be. The power company knows your rate but they don't know your usage. They're probably using a high number for your usage but besides that they're also not taking into account the brand in question. Hot Spring spas insulation is like no other really. Instead of just filling the cavity with 0.5 lb foam we use multiple foam densities but not just 2, there are a total of 4. The higher densities are on the shell and the cabinet with the middle filled with the lighter density. We also keep the equipment compartment as small as possible, smaller than you'll see compared to other tubs so you're filling even more space with insulation. We recycle much of the heat coming off the pump back into the water and use what I believe to be the most energy efficient 24 hr circ pump on the market. All that along with our high quality covers makes us feel good about your energy usage but certainly it will go up versus having no tub at all though I would not expect it to be at that $80-100 estimate even in winter.

goose973

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:45 am »
I'd think the power company is high on their estimate. I only noticed about a $15-20 jump in my bill over the summer with my new Sundance. No winter data, yet, though.

Preserved

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:37:41 pm »

Thanks! I'll call to ask about installing a solar array on the roof to counter the question!

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »
the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. Probably not as high as the electric company suggest but not as low as the dealer would like you to believe. Just my experience.

vangoghsear

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:47:34 pm »
Assuming $.30 on the $1 going to pumping costs, my 280 gallon Bullfrog hot tub would have to lose 23 deg F every day for a month, that's heating 280 X30 = 8400 gallons * 8.33 lbs * 23 deg = 2249100 btuh/ 3412 x .7 (70% heat 30% pump) = 659.2 kW x.15 = $98.85 a month.

I don't imagine losing more than 15 degrees a day tops.  For mine the cost is +- 29.3 kW/deg lost a month x.15 = +- $4.40 per degree lost a month for 280 gallons.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:26 pm »
the correct answer is somewhere in the middle. Probably not as high as the electric company suggest but not as low as the dealer would like you to believe. Just my experience.

You own a Jetsetter or TX? If so, do you live in the same climate? If so, do you pay the same electric rate?

I can tell you this: after doing this for 25+ years I have found that giving people an ACCURATE estimate of how much a tub will cost to run takes a bit of information, NONE OF WHICH the electrical supplier bothers to gather. NONE. They say, "A hot tub?!" oh that will cost... And then they spew.

HotSpring is one of the least expensive brands to run - ask people who own them. In your area.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

92rslt1

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »
Mines 40 a month and its an older tub. I set the temp to 3/4 when not in use.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42