What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Spa- First time spa owner- question on usage patterns  (Read 4124 times)

Gassy

Sundance Spa- First time spa owner- question on usage patterns
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:43 am »
I have a new Sundance Optima- my first ever hot tub- and I am somewhat mystified by its behavior.  Let me preface my question by stating that it is in a vacation home, used about 1 weekend a month.  When I left last time, I set the temp down to 85 hoping to save some energy.  Came up a couple of days ago, set it to 102 and left it at that for the whole time I'm here.  The circ pump is programmed (in Standard mode because I'm up at the home a few days) to run 8 hrs/day, but I've noticed that it runs almost continuously.  It seems like the circ pump runs to maintain that temp of 102 because if (during the non-programmed run time) I drop the temp a degree or two, it shuts off.  My question: should I drop the set temp a few degrees when I know I'm not going to be using the pump for 12-18 hours, and raise it up later in anticipation of that soak later in the day?  How do most of you operate your tubs?  Leave it set always at a high temp?  Drop it after useage then raise it when you know you're going to use it?  Trying to save electric $$ here. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Spa- First time spa owner- question on usage patterns
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:43 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Sundance Spa- First time spa owner- question on usage patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:36:36 am »
I'm not familiar with the fine details of programming your Optima, but in general I would say that you want the filtration system (small circ pump AND any programmable use of the larger pumps) to be set at the very minimum possible during the time the tub is sitting there, all alone, pining for the moment you return.

But once you arrive, I would want the circ pump to run 24 hours a day, with the temp set right were you like it for soaking.

Keep in mind that the small circ pump will bleed a small amount of heat into the tub anyway, so even if you set the temp to 80 the tub may stay warmer than that by itself if you run the circ pump 24/7. Also, you really don't need a lot of filtration if the tub is not in use - just a bit to keep the water circulated a bit now and then.

You didn't mention, but is freezing an issue in the tub's location?

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gassy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »
Chas, thanks for the reply.  Freezing becomes an issue after December in western NC where I am.  When I am away for a long time, I leave it in economy mode which runs for 1 hour 4 times a day and only heats during those periods.  Not sure why the thing runs so much while I'm here.  I guess the next Duke Power bill will be very telling!

Orion6192

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:02 am »
I have a Jacuzzi J345. My tub is still set to the default mode for circulation which is 8 hrs. That being said it circulates at the same time 10:40 am and pm so it's 16 hours total.

I thought when it said 8 hrs it would be only 8 hrs at that one time.

Not sure about your heat climbing back up though...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »
I have a Jacuzzi J345. My tub is still set to the default mode for circulation which is 8 hrs. That being said it circulates at the same time 10:40 am and pm so it's 16 hours total.

I thought when it said 8 hrs it would be only 8 hrs at that one time.

Not sure about your heat climbing back up though...

Hey Scott, so on yours the circ pump should run 24/7 then pump 1 2spd is your secondary filtration.  That one you set by pressing and holding the + & - btn down at the same time I set mine at F2

Orion6192

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »
So my default according to the manual is:

C2: 8 hours of circulation per day (recommended factory default setting for J335-J375 models)

You say I should change it to:

C6: 24 hours of circulation per day (recommended factory default setting for J315 and J325 models)

And change the filtration from:

F1: 1 hour of filtration per day (one 30-minute cycle every 12
hours); This is the factory default setting.

To:

F2: 1.5 hours of filtration per day (one 30-minute cycle every
8 hours)

Thanks again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42