What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bonding and grounding a hotsprings vista spa  (Read 5846 times)

metalmann

bonding and grounding a hotsprings vista spa
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »
greetings
Do you need to bond or ground or both ? my spa comes with a 50 amp gfci disconnect. I'm a little confused on this topic. also do I need to ground or bond the concrete slab.

Hot Tub Forum

bonding and grounding a hotsprings vista spa
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: bonding and grounding a hotsprings vista spa
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:15 am »
"Grounding" any electrical device means that you have a wire going back to the power source and connecting to the ground bus or ground connector in that electrical box. So - a 'ground' wire runs from the spa, through the sub panel, and back to the main panel. In your Vista, it connects to the ground lug inside the spa, the ground bus inside the sub panel, and then there is a wire of the same size going from the sub panel back to the main panel, where it attaches to the ground bus or lug.

"Bonding" is a complete separate system which connects all metal objects in the vicinity together. This usually means ALL - and includes things like windows with metal frames, patio covers (metal ones only, of course) posts or pillars, any metal object near the spa. You need to check with your local building and safety office to find out if you need to bond the slab, but it is real easy - put a #8 bare copper wire onto whatever metal you put into the concrete, and leave enough of it sticking out to reach the bonding bus on your Vista. Some people buy a 6' copper ground rod and lay it in the concrete with the end sticking out. Then they use a ground clamp and copper wire to go to the spa - and any other items the inspector wants you to bond. The idea is that if ANY electricity gets into these metal items, not necessarily from the spa, but from ANY source, it has a path to ground which will not include YOU.

BTW - the Vista has a Ground connector INSIDE the control box for that purpose, and a Bonding Bus on the OUTSIDE of the box. Some electricians mistake the two.

HTH

8)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:19 am »
it will depend on your local electrical code, check with a certified electrician to be sure

vangoghsear

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »
I used a plastic EZ-Pad base and I still had to put a bonding ring in the ground within 3' of the spa by my local code.  The EZ-Pad itself did not require bonding.

metalmann

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »
greetings and salutations
thanks chas, sounds pretty simple now

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42