What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need some advise after wet testing  (Read 10060 times)

Skidog88

Need some advise after wet testing
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »
All – Been lurking for awhile reading \ researching while saving my $$$ so I can make the right purchase the first time, so I can enjoy whatever tub I end up with for a long time. I’ve started going out to dealers and wet testing, getting initial prices and have some questions and would appreciate any feedback.

First my girlfriend and I liked the Sundance Optima, but the sales guy was making some statements that I know not to be true, saying Jacuzzi was a nice, but inferior product. And while he wasn’t too pushy, it was enough to throw up small red flags. Which made me question some of the things he said, such as:
1)      He mentioned that if we like the wet test of the Optima, the Victoria and Hamilton would be cheaper options that would sit / feel the same, just lower cost.
2)      He made the same statement about the Cameo / Victoria / Hamilton / Certa.

Is this true? If I can save a few bucks by eliminating features I don’t want, or getting a slightly different look I’m all for it.

The things he mentioned that reduced the price were the lack of bubbler (which I could care less about), and the removing of stainless steel in the 780 series. But those tubs were not available for wet testing (nor is he able to hook them up), so I wanted to know if this is a generally accepted fact?

Next I tried and loved the J-480 yesterday. In particular the lounger made the tub wonderful. Both my girlfriend and I are 5’8, and in this tub we were able to enjoy the lounger without feeling like we were going to drown. Likewise we tried the J-335, and didn’t find the lounger enjoyable at all.

Now the Jacuzzi sales guy has to call me back (he had someone else come in he needed to help), but would he tell me the same about the 480 and 335, because they sat \ felt completely different?

Also as much as I loved the 480, there’s only 2 of us and a smaller (cheaper) option would be ideal. The (self admittedly less knowledgeable) sales person that helped us mentioned the J-465 and J-460 would sit the same way as the 480. Is this true?

Finally has anyone tried the Cameo and J-480 loungers and have any thoughts on how they compare (especially for someone only 5’8)? I know loungers are a person by person thing, but the Sundance dealer can only keep 2 tubs hot at once, and won’t hook up the Cameo until he sell the floor model Optima (and he’s only knocked off 500 for the floor model). His best guess for when he’d have the Cameo hooked up was 3 months.

Appreciate any feedback!

Hot Tub Forum

Need some advise after wet testing
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Need some advise after wet testing
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:06:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Where do you live? I'm wondering if there is another dealer close by that you could possibly see other tubs powered up to help with your decision.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Skidog88

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:29:40 pm »
So I'm in the Baltimore area, and amazingly the next closest dealer (sundance) is about 2 hours away from my house. I'm not opposed to making the drive, but I think I'd rather be a little more committed to Sundance.

And there's multiple jacuzzi dealers nearby, but they are all owned by the same guy, and have the same hot tubs to wet test...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »
 Going from a J-480 to  J-335 is like going from a Lexus to a Camery both will get you there but one does it a bit better.   If one works better for you than the other and you can save a few bucks go for it.  I love the J-480 but the 400 series is in a class of it's own. Just like the Optima from the Hamilton.  If he is trying to say the Sundance is better Jacuzzi then he is lying to you.  Ues they are both different but the same in many ways.

800 series= 400 series 780 series = 300 series but if I have chance to pick them apart the 300 wins, the 600 series = 200 series. 

,  Either way both brands have nice spa's, pick which you like and which dealer you like and you will be happy.

I have to add though if he is saying the Victoria and the Hamilton will feel the same and operates the same as the Optima he is wrong.  Yes they have pumps yes they have circ pupms but the filtration and jets are totally different than the 780 series.   

Start matching things up between the J-300 series and the 780 series you will see a difference in features. Not construction but filtration and jets quality they are the same. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:52:51 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

Skidog88

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:48:35 pm »
Jim – Couple of points of clarification:

1)      Is it fair to assume if I liked the lounger in the 480, I would feel the same in the 460 or 465? Or is there a large difference?

2)      So my instinct that the Sundance dealer was stretching the truth about them all feeling the same was dead on, there’s no reason to think if I like the Optima I will feel the same about the Hamilton?

Has anyone tried the loungers on the 480 and Cameo before are they similar?

goose973

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:47 am »
We just recently wet tested several of the models you mentioned. We hated the optima, liked the Hamilton, and loved the certa. How he could tell you that they would all feel the same puzzles me. The optima doesn't even have a lounger!  The seat contours are similar but not exactly the same in the Hamilton and certa, either. That's why we bought the certa. I'd be suspect of someone that tells you they all feel/fit the same. Not true.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:04:20 am »
if he was attempting to "down sell" you, he probably knew somehow you had reservations about the price on the more expensive model so that was his way of easing you into something he could sell you...personally "bad talking" other companies shows desperation and weakness imo and some customers find it really uncomfortable to be in that situation

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
if he was attempting to "down sell" you, he probably knew somehow (or thought) you had reservations about the price on the more expensive model so that was his way of easing you into something he could sell you...personally "bad talking" other companies shows desperation and weakness imo and some customers find it really uncomfortable to be in that situation

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
Jim – Couple of points of clarification:

1)      Is it fair to assume if I liked the lounger in the 480, I would feel the same in the 460 or 465? Or is there a large difference?

2)      So my instinct that the Sundance dealer was stretching the truth about them all feeling the same was dead on, there’s no reason to think if I like the Optima I will feel the same about the Hamilton?

Has anyone tried the loungers on the 480 and Cameo before are they similar?

I think the lounger in the J-480 would compare to the Cameo.   The J-460 lounger is nice but different than the J-480 layout wise.  The J-465s lounger is really long I am 6'2 and have to stretch a bit to hit the foot jets.    Check out the J-355 the lounge is very similar to the J-480 at a lesser price. 

Skidog88

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »
So is it common to not have multiple tubs to wet test at a dealer? After reading through the site for months, and trying out tubs I'm convinced the wet test is essential. But I spoke with the Jacuzzi dealer the afternoon and he wasn't willing to let me wet test anything but what they had setup ( same deal at sundance).. And I'm just not comfortable parting with 12k or so without trying it first.

Also has anyone tried the jacuzzi LXL? I like the fact it's smaller, and the outside design is nice. But they don't have one to even dry test... And the jacuzzi sales guy was trying to talk me out of it saying the lounger would sit the same as the 335...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:20:59 pm »
 Well for me If I have a spa on the floor that someone wants to try, I fire it up.   If it meant ordering one for them to try on the grounds they might or might not buy it would be another story. 
   Most dealers will have one or two on the floor for testing, I try and keep a 400 series wet and a 200 series wet as well, with the option to fill a 300 series if needed.     Some dealers like yours can be difficult with filling spa's as it does take a bit of labor on their part.

The Jacuzzi JLX series is a nice spa and they are spot on with the lounge being pretty much the same as the J-335.   It has a unique look thats for sure!!   We brought one in but sold it and have not brought in another as of yet.  Jacuzzi lowered the cost of it so dealers could sell it easier.  10 grand for a 7x7 spa is alot despite the looks.

TdiDave

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
So I'm in the Baltimore area, and amazingly the next closest dealer (sundance) is about 2 hours away from my house. I'm not opposed to making the drive, but I think I'd rather be a little more committed to Sundance.

And there's multiple jacuzzi dealers nearby, but they are all owned by the same guy, and have the same hot tubs to wet test...

skidoo
What did you end up doing? I'm about 75miles west of Bmore and have been having the same problem of finding many tubs especially wet. I did just look at the j-480 at the place by Dulles and plan on making a trip back to wet test, but would like to find some other brands to compare to.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42