What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub cover vendor  (Read 3337 times)

spalover

Hot tub cover vendor
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »
Hi everyone

I'm looking to replace the cover on my Sundance spa. It is a regular shaped hot tub, and the dealer is quoting over $500 for a new one. I found several sites online selling them, and they also offer free shipping. Does anyone have any experience with http://www.hottubcoverdepot.com or http://www.beyondnice.com? Any other suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub cover vendor
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

spalover

Re: Hot tub cover vendor
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »
Also, does anyone know whether the following upgrades are worth it? I am not sure what options we might need, or if they're necessary, and would appreciate any opinions.

• 2.0 pound foam core
  • extra thick vapor barrier (5mil)

Thanks!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »
the depot place advertises a 26 oz. Marine Grade. This is the thinnest lightest vinyl I've ever heard of being used in a spa cover. They give the cold crack rating (something worthless as the cover is ALWAYS warmed by the spa), but mention nothing about the UV or pigment rating. They mention nothing that I can find about the thickness of the polyethylene wrapping the foam cores, other than it's "thick", or how it's sealed (one of THE most important aspects of a cover). They say they use galvanized channel support, but don't bother to mention what gauge the steel is (typically this kind of information is omitted for a reason...........they don't want you to know :-) ). And lastly, they're stealing one of my photographs.

beyondnice...the R-value they list is either exaggerated, or not determined by standard ASTM testing standards. HEY! These guys are stealing the same exact picture as the other site...........me thinks they're the same company....in fact, looking at their specs, and how the site is written, I'd say they're the same company.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
Also, does anyone know whether the following upgrades are worth it? I am not sure what options we might need, or if they're necessary, and would appreciate any opinions.

• 2.0 pound foam core
  • extra thick vapor barrier (5mil)

I don't know about these options, but having had a 10 years of use. Reinforced hinge and straps is a useful option. My last cover is still in good shape on all its seams.
Thanks!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:07:39 pm »
2 pound foam is excellent where additional strength is needed. For every pound of weight 1 pound foam will support, 2 pound foam will support 2 pounds of weight. Remember though, 2 pound foam is twice as heavy as 1 pound.

Insulation wise, the gain isn't so great, based on 1" of foam thickness, #2 = R-4.35, 1.5# = R-4.17 and 1# = R-3.85

One big advantage of 2# foam is that it's ability to absorb moisture is much less than 1# foam.

The vapor barrier is probably your best investment, though 5 mil is still a bit low.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »
Both companies (if they are separate companies) appear to be selling Prestige Spa Covers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42