What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Three finalists, looking for opinions.  (Read 9340 times)

ATC Buckeye

Three finalists, looking for opinions.
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:45 am »
Yet another "what would you buy thread".   After tons of deliberation and research, the wife and I have finally figured out what we want in a tub.   We have space constraints since we are trying to retrofit it into an existing deck, with a small add-on.   We need:

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 84" square
At least 36" tall
NO lounger, and as few of those wrap-over neck-jet seats as possible.  I'm 6'6" and every one I sit in is not designed for someone my height
Max price ~$5000-$6000

I've ruled it down to three in my area, from most $ to least $:

Jacuzzi J-245
Hot Springs Hot Spot Rhythm
Artesian South Seas 748B

We won't be wet testing any of them, as none of them are filled and I've not been to a dealer that was willing to do that.  I know everyone here says they will, but that is something that here in NE Ohio that I have not experienced.  They've all got the ~$10,000 models filled and that's it. 

Any input will be appreciated.  At this point I've just about had it with analysis and run-around from salesmen, I just want to SOAK!

Hot Tub Forum

Three finalists, looking for opinions.
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:45 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Three finalists, looking for opinions.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:26 am »
I did wet test a Jacuzzi J245, at least I think that was the one just 120 miles from you. I'm only 6'1 though.  Presque Isle in Erie frequently has Hot Spot tubs on their floor with water (I was last in there in 2010.  Good luck with your choice.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
Yet another "what would you buy thread".   After tons of deliberation and research, the wife and I have finally figured out what we want in a tub.   We have space constraints since we are trying to retrofit it into an existing deck, with a small add-on.   We need:

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 84" square
At least 36" tall
NO lounger, and as few of those wrap-over neck-jet seats as possible.  I'm 6'6" and every one I sit in is not designed for someone my height
Max price ~$5000-$6000

I've ruled it down to three in my area, from most $ to least $:

Jacuzzi J-245
Hot Springs Hot Spot Rhythm
Artesian South Seas 748B

We won't be wet testing any of them, as none of them are filled and I've not been to a dealer that was willing to do that.  I know everyone here says they will, but that is something that here in NE Ohio that I have not experienced.  They've all got the ~$10,000 models filled and that's it. 

Any input will be appreciated.  At this point I've just about had it with analysis and run-around from salesmen, I just want to SOAK!

I hear ya. I tell everyone to wet test as well but I know some dealers only have a model or two wet and they won't just fill anything you want. That doesn't really make them a bad dealer and someone who'll be a problem for you down the line, it just makes them a dealer who is leaving money on the table because some customers will go elsewhere.

I think Hot Spring and Jacuzzi products are two of the best out there and while I don't know Artesian as well I don't see negatives about them on the spa sites either. You'll probably be fine with any of them so you should definitely factor in your level of confidence that each of those dealers will be there for you after the delivery is complete. After delivery, some dealers may look at you as someone who has already purchased while others will look at it as their responsibility to keep you satisfied for years to come.

Go with your gut (or just ask your wife which what she wants  ;)).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:09:51 am »
to be honest @ 6'6" I'm not sure how any tub at a 36" height will work for you, unless you don't mind having a portion of your neck/shoulders above water.  If its not a problem than I think you cannot go wrong with either the Jacuzzi or the Hot Spot Rhythm, they are both very similar in most regards...don't know much about Artesian

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:43 am »
I hear ya, but the wife is only 5'2" so I don't want her drowning. I can slouch down in I think.  Our compromise is no lounger cuz they are just right for her, not so much for me.   All three dealers seem legit. The Artesian seems to look the fanciest with jets and different types of seats and all.

mjb

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:33:53 am »
Feel free to take the trip down to All Seasons Spas
in Hilliard ( Columbus suburb ) and try out a
Jacuzzi J-245.  We have one hot and ready to go.
You're out of our service area but we welcome you
anyway.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
I hear ya, but the wife is only 5'2" so I don't want her drowning. I can slouch down in I think.  Our compromise is no lounger cuz they are just right for her, not so much for me.   All three dealers seem legit. The Artesian seems to look the fanciest with jets and different types of seats and all.

might be a tough question to answer but do you think your wife will spend the majority of the time in 1 or 2 seats? I ask because I had a couple in last week with the exact same dilemma, he's like 6'4 and shes like 5'3 and after a little digging found out she rarely switches seats so the compromise was getting a 38" tub for him and having her use a booster seat...since she rarely switches seats using the booster seat was not much of an inconvenience.  Just a thought

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »
to be honest @ 6'6" I'm not sure how any tub at a 36" height will work for you, unless you don't mind having a portion of your neck/shoulders above water.  If its not a problem than I think you cannot go wrong with either the Jacuzzi or the Hot Spot Rhythm, they are both very similar in most regards...don't know much about Artesian

My wife is 5' 1¾" (though she rounds up to 5'2"). She uses a spa "booster seat". Whoever you buy from, ask them to through one in on the deal and if they balk maybe they'll at least give you a good price for one.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »
Huh, never new such a thing existed.  Now I think I'll hunt for something deeper, but still don't want a lounger.   Destiny River Tradition would work well, but I don't think it's on the same "level" as those top brands....

I just reworked the deck plans and I can go up to 92" square without totally scrapping my design.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »
Huh, never new such a thing existed.  Now I think I'll hunt for something deeper, but still don't want a lounger.   Destiny River Tradition would work well, but I don't think it's on the same "level" as those top brands....

I just reworked the deck plans and I can go up to 92" square without totally scrapping my design.

I'm not sure she'll love the idea that you're using it to justify going deeper but you're not exactly average height so I understand your dilemma. It may help both of you in the end and I think she may like it even if you stick to the 36" spas since many spas have seats of varying height/slope and she may have issues with a seat or two in the 36" spa. Google "spa booster seat" and you'll get the idea.

jonnyboy2807

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
I have exactly the same problem.  I found that in all cases it came down to the thickness or ease-of-removal of the head cushions (Artesian, Jacuzzi, and Sunrise were pretty good in that regard).  The one thing I came to realize was that if we chose a shallower tub, the water line would always be somewhere between my gut and chest (not optimal).  Wife insisted on getting one to match me and solve her problem with the aforementioned booster. One can boost the wife's height, but we can't shrink mine.

ATC Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:10 am »
Very good point. What tub did you buy?

jonnyboy2807

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
We bought an Elite Spa model 5600 - same as Vita Spa's Envie model as far as I can tell (both made by Maax). It's an average depth for a spa (38"), but the two corner seats opposite the lounger get me down to where I need to go. I'll never get water up to my neck, but only the top three inches of my shoulders will stick up from the surface - I think as good as I can get. The Sunrise might have been slightly better, but it wasn't as comfortable for me.  Delivery in 6 days.

There are lots of tall men these days, taller than us, so maybe some day a spa maker will make a specialty mould with at least one deeep seat.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42