What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Majesta on order, going to be a long 4 weeks  (Read 38437 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Sundance Majesta on order, going to be a long 4 weeks
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »
Well folks, I paid for the Sundance Majesta this morning. I expect the dealer to put in on order by Monday and I'm told a 4 week delivery.   Now that its over, I will say this time the buying was a fun process.  It is definitely a buyer's market right now and I'm happy with the deal I got and I suspect it would be considered a very good deal and I also suspect the dealer is making some money on this deal, so I would call this a win/win.

10 years ago I think I finally gave up and settled because I was tired of the process.  That said, we did get 10 years of use out of the Dynasty.  In Columbus today, there are 3 dealers remaining that were when I bought my first tub. Of teh 3, one near my home has changed brands they carry at least 3 times.  They now carry Catalina.  It looked ok, but it looked to be about the quality of my Dynasty.  From a dealers perspective, I pretty quickly decided to go with a tub from either Allseasons, who carry Jacuzzi and Sundance primarilly) or Scioto Valley, right up the street who  carries Hot Springs and the rest of the Watkins line along with Dynasty's upper teir of products. Both of these dealers are within 5 miles or my work and I could walk the floors at lunch time without much interference.  I personally know 2 people who have bought from each of these stores and considered is a great experience.

The wet tests actually turned out to be a lot of fun.  All Seasons gets big points, and this may have been a huge factor, for their wet test facility. This really is first class with a dedicated room that is very well designed and has a changing room big enough for couples, towels and room for 4 tubs.  That first day it was late in the evening and we actually sat in one of the lower Jacuzzi models, 245 I think it was. I immediately felt comfortable. We then moved back into the test room and into the Jacuzzi 345.  I fell in love with this tub, its extremely comfortable and very stylish looking. This was my first time in a top tier Jacuzzi and I had heard some people say they were underpowered. I was impressed with the jets and the comfort.   We hopped over into the Sundance Optima. It was nice, but I liked the Jacuzzi a little more. From there we went to the Sudance Cameo. I liked this a little more than the Optima and actually liked the lounger and for the first time considered getting a lounger again.   

I was telling my wife how much I loved the Jacuzzi but she told me how she floated in each of the corner seats even with no jets going. This was because of how reclined those seats are vs sitting up straight.  This was wonderful for me, but I think it doomed the Jacuzzi for us. We looked at the 365 which was on the floor dry. The dealer would have moved it into the room for us, but she didn't think having to have her use the foot dome to keep herself from floating would be comfortable.

During the wet tests the dealer was there to help us and away enough for us to talk privately. I can't emphasize enough how good this experience was.  Gina, my wife told me she had to love whatever tub we bought and how much she loved out Dynasty where she is comfortable.  If this store was the only one in town and these were the only two brands, we may have ended up with the Cameo. I remembered the Majesta from my web research.  They did have one on the floor dry. We concluded this might be a strong candidate and the dealer said if we gave him a few days he would move it into the demo room. We weren't in a hurry and told him we would be comfortable with a week given the upcoming holiday and our respective schedules.   

We went up to Scioto Valley and looked at what they had.  I quickly decided it would be a Vangaurd or Vista.  We looked at one limelight and Gina liked the layout, but I didn't like the lighting or the controls.  We were headed to visit my sister that weekend and I new I would be in her vanguard.  While we were at this store, we saw the salesman once and I don't think he even thought we were serious buyerys and probably just looky-lous.  In hindsight, I think this was also a factor.  I stopped back later during a week day lunch and gave him more details of our situation and got a card from him. I was told they have just recieved a truck load of Vanguards with the pearl shell and coastal gray cabinets.

I spent a lot of time in my sister's vangaurd that weekend and familiarized myself with it.  Thanks to several of the HS people here on this forum who guided me with good information and things to look for between the 2010 and 2012 models.

We ended up back at All Seasons for the Majesta wet test.   During that test, Gina said, "I love this tub" so I think I knew it was over at this point.  If It was just me and all my decision, I probably would have picked the J345, but would have asked for the best deal on that tub, the Masjesta, the Cameo, the Vanguard, and the Vista.   Had I been a single guy holding a lot of parties, I night have went Aspen, Grandee, or Maaxus, but we had decided to downsize and I was comfortable with that.

Still not happy with the interaction with Scioto, i finally sent them an email from their website and told them I wanted a Vangaurd, wanted to get rid of my Dynasty and spend less than $9k.   The reply came a few days later and i was offered the Vanguard, my Dynasty traded in for $8999, but it had to be one of the ones they had in stock (pearl, costal gray)

cont.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Majesta on order, going to be a long 4 weeks
« on: September 01, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
Re: Sundance Majesta on order, going to be a long 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »
After that I emailed the Sundance dealer and basically told him to beat that, which he did by a few dollars and threw in 2 Sundance towels and two Sundance robes, along with a drink holder that fits above the filter compartment of the Majesta.   With the current rebate, I also saved $600 more so came out about $700 less out of pocket with the Majesta.  Since I conceded the tub to my wife, I was able to make my pick of the Platinum shell and Mahogany cabinet.   In conclusion, I came down to 3 or more tubs I was happy with and went for the best deal.   Hopefully in 4 weeks I will be relating about the delivery, installation, and first soak of the Majesta.  I did relate to the dealer how bad my delivery experience was with my Dynasty and he did assure me his team would do the work. For awhile All Seasons was an authorized Dynasty service rep and i became comfortable with their service group. That was a consideration in the back of my mind. I really think we made the best decision for us with several good choices.  More in the coming weeks. I'll have to try and avoid visiting the dealer during lunch till my delivery.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:19:23 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:14 pm »
Congrats Bill. Great report. I must say that I was impressed as well with the Sundance dealer's wet test room after seeing your pics in the previous thread. I bet that wet test room helps them sell lots of spas.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »
Congrats Bill. Great report. I must say that I was impressed as well with the Sundance dealer's wet test room after seeing your pics in the previous thread. I bet that wet test room helps them sell lots of spas.

I agree it was a huge factor for me, but I believe the dealers here will tell you that 90% of buyers don't wet test.  I didn't my first time. I wonder if the ratio goes up for repeat buyers.

I think the seat ine the upper left will be my favorite.  A feature we didn't have in our first tub that I decided was essential this time was a cool down seat.  The Cameo and Majesta have this double level cool down seat that i can see myself using on long soaks, or my short daughter will use a lot.   You can pivot in the seat in the lower level giving you some options.  I can also sit on the tub floor and get a great back massage from the foot jets, one of my favorite features of my Dynasty.  You really can't sit on the floor of the vanguard unless you want to boil your backside.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:31:34 pm by wmccall »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »
 Nice review, and I must say I am surprised!   Hope your spa gets to you quickly and it's everything you expect!     

planetary

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:38:23 pm »
Very nice explanation.  Congratulations on the selection!  Looks like our clocks are starting right around the same time.  Autumn, ahoy!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:08:35 am »
Well, I can't say my usual "welcome to spatopia," because you have been here for so long. But congratulations that your search is over, and I think you picked a fine tub. Sundance has proven itself over the years, and I'm sure you're going to love it.

I CAN say the rest of my usual benediction: "may you soak long and prosper..." And may the delivery crew do all they promised!

Enjoy!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice the past few years Chas. It's meant a lot.  We really did enjoy the search this time better prepared.  I really think I could have been happy in one of about 6 tubs, but we picked the one best for both of us.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »
To help kill time, I downloaded the manual from the Sundance tub.  The first thing I learned that is different from my current tub is in the start up procedure.  They talk about how the tub is tested full with water twice before shipping and they recommend filling, dosing with 8 oz of chlorine, run jets for an hour, dump and refill.  I've heard this one here before. I guess this is to remove any bacteria that might be growing in left over water.  Ok, I can live with that. Hopefully my tub comes early in the morning so I can do this, add water a second time and still get in a soak later.  I know my Dynasty was probably never water tested at the factory as an o-ring was pinched in one diverter causing a spray into the soaking area.

My old Dynasty had a 425 gallon capacity and a 5.5kw heater.  This new tub is around 320 gallons if I remember and I haven't checked the size of the new heater yet. My old tub I could count on the temp rising 2 degrees the first hour, then 4 degrees an hour after.  Not sure what to expect from the Majesta yet, but I do expect do to the hot summer, my starting water temp to be above 60F, assuming a late September/early Oct delivery.

The manual also told me I have access to a overtemp feature where I can set the temp to 106.  I can imagine one or two days a year I will use this.  The majority fo the time from May through Oct our tub is set to 102.  Much of Nov through Feb it is 104.  During that time if I overexert in a workout and am sore all over I can see using this, particualarly if the temp out side is near zero F.   I use to be able to trick my Dynasty into going to 105 on occasion even though I could only set it to 104. 

Now, I'm back to reading about the controls they are significantly different from what I am use to.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »
To help kill time, I downloaded the manual from the Sundance tub.  The first thing I learned that is different from my current tub is in the start up procedure.  They talk about how the tub is tested full with water twice before shipping and they recommend filling, dosing with 8 oz of chlorine, run jets for an hour, dump and refill.  I've heard this one here before. I guess this is to remove any bacteria that might be growing in left over water.  Ok, I can live with that. Hopefully my tub comes early in the morning so I can do this, add water a second time and still get in a soak later.  I know my Dynasty was probably never water tested at the factory as an o-ring was pinched in one diverter causing a spray into the soaking area.

My old Dynasty had a 425 gallon capacity and a 5.5kw heater.  This new tub is around 320 gallons if I remember and I haven't checked the size of the new heater yet. My old tub I could count on the temp rising 2 degrees the first hour, then 4 degrees an hour after.  Not sure what to expect from the Majesta yet, but I do expect do to the hot summer, my starting water temp to be above 60F, assuming a late September/early Oct delivery.

The manual also told me I have access to a overtemp feature where I can set the temp to 106.  I can imagine one or two days a year I will use this.  The majority fo the time from May through Oct our tub is set to 102.  Much of Nov through Feb it is 104.  During that time if I overexert in a workout and am sore all over I can see using this, particualarly if the temp out side is near zero F.   I use to be able to trick my Dynasty into going to 105 on occasion even though I could only set it to 104. 

Now, I'm back to reading about the controls they are significantly different from what I am use to.

8oz of chlorine?? holy hanna, is the spa shipped with a dead animal inside of it? at startup I will recommend a double or triple dose which works fine...adding 8oz and then draining and refilling seems like overkill imo, but your mileage may vary...btw congrats on the new unit, after your lengthy shopping experience I'm sure you'll be happily soaking again for the next decade or more  ;D

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »
8oz of chlorine?? holy hanna, is the spa shipped with a dead animal inside of it?
;D ;D ;D

Congrats on a sweet looking tub Bill!  That thing is awesome.

It certainly can't hurt to fill any tub that is new or used, put in a cleaner, then drain it.  I used a 4oz pipe cleanser that is part of the spa system I use.  I wanted to do this anyway just to get familiar with how long it takes to drain, etc.  I bought a $45 submergible pump (vs messing with their drain tube) and it was great, about 25 min. to empty mine.  I also have heard when they wet test tubs, that same water is used for a number of tubs or for several days before they change it.

Interesting about being able to go as high as 106 vs. the standard 104. 

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:37 pm »
8 oz seemed a little high to me as well, but I've lost track of how I much I use daily over the past few years.  I'll do it though.  Can't wait.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
 Fill it it, hit it with some dichlor then enjoy it,  I must have missed that in the start up section!   Can't be more than a gallon or two of water left from the inline checks.    Land sakes I don't think I have ever had anybody nuke it with dichlor then drain on a new spa.     Granted you are kind of back east but still! 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:08:30 pm »
Wow - I don't know if I would nuke and drain. I fill all our spas and shock with dichlor - two dry ounces - and then tell them it will be ready when it's hot.

You will never regret the double fill, of course, it will clean out the system thoroughly, and the drain will mean you don't have to wait as long for the chlorine level to drop back down.

Be sure that you really flush when you empty it: rinse every nook, cranny, filter, filter housing, run water through jets, drain system and so forth: you will be amazed at how high the chlorine level will be in the second fill if you don't: 8 oz is a LOT of Dichlor...

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:42 am »
Congratulations Bill.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42