What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What about Strong Spas??? Any feedback is appreciated!  (Read 20723 times)

ssilver853

What about Strong Spas??? Any feedback is appreciated!
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:13:20 am »
Thought I had made up my mind on the J-245, however just received an email from Costco.com on the Casablanca from Strong. Price $5,999 with rebate.

Thoughts...

Our DURA-LAST™ cabinet is constructed with partially recycled materials and is itself 100% recyclable! Our insulation system results in almost zero release of CFCs into the environment. Our beautiful acrylic shells are reinforced with environmentally sound StrongBond™, an eco-friendly alternative to fiberglass.

Warranty*:

Spa Cabinet: lifetime 
Spa Surface: 5 years
Plumbing & Equipment: 2 years
Ozonators & LED Lighting: 1 year
Cover: 1 year
Labor: 2 years
*Please see your warranty guide for additional information and exclusions

Choose Cabinet:

Espresso wicker-look resin cabinet paired with sterling silver (white marble) acrylic shell
Espresso faux wood resin cabinet paired with sterling silver (white marble) acrylic shell
Specifications:

Seats: 6 adults including full-body lounger and cooldown seat/interior step
Dimensions:
Wicker: 91" x 91" x 40"
Wood: 91" x 91" x 36"
4 Total Pumps: 3 hydro pumps and 1 air pump
3 Hydro Pumps:
1 - 4 BHP ultra flow 2-speed, premium efficiency high-output pump 
2 - 5.5 BHP 1-speed hydro pumps
1 Air Pump: 1 vector air injection system - high performance turbo air pump system for increased water action
Jet Count: 110 stainless steel faced jets
51 back hydro adjustable jets
14 foot/ankle hydro adjustable jets
10 leg hydro adjustable jets
10 vector air injection seat jets
8 rollover neck/shoulder hydro jets with dedicated on/off control
8 hip hydro adjustable jets?
7 vector air injection foot/ankle jets
2 vector air injection wrist/hand jets
Air Controls: 4, for zoned massage
Water Controls: 4 total; 2 control waterfalls and 2 control rollover neck/shoulder jets
Weight Dry/Filled:
Wicker: 1,100lbs / 4,025lbs
Wood: 950lbs / 3,875lbs
Water Capacity: 400 USG
Electrical: 240V / 60Amp breaker (not included). Electrical connections must be made by qualified and licensed personnel. Improper installations present hazards, which can result in personal injury or property damage. Please contact a licensed residential electrician for these services.
Heater: 4.0 kW stainless steel heater. True all-weather, high-efficiency system
Filter: floating weir, 50 sq. ft. filter cartridge, adjusts with water level for cleaner water
Ozonator: water purification system naturally creates a cleaner spa environment requiring fewer chemicals
Insulation: high-density foam injected into our dual-walled cabinet forming a highly efficient thermal barrier
Features:

Plumbing: manifold plumbing system for equal pressure through each jet
Cabinet: DURA-LAST patented dual-walled cabinet system is energy efficient, quiet and is designed to withstand extreme temperatures
Spa shell infused with Microban antimicrobial protection
Water Features: waterfall AquaBeam II dual column multicolor programmable LED lighted water feature - Our exclusive multicolor programmable LED molded resin waterfall
Lighting: 16 starburst LED points of light, plus underwater light
Remote Controls: 2 conveniently located controls
Electronic Controls: digital control center with M7 technology and backlighting
Headrests: 3 comfortable headrests
Shell: StrongBond acrylic rigidizing process provides greater shell thickness and strength and uses no environmentally-unfriendly fiberglass
Double-reinforced seats provide stronger, more stable sculpted acrylic seating.

Hot Tub Forum

What about Strong Spas??? Any feedback is appreciated!
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:13:20 am »

d00nut

Re: What about Strong Spas??? Any feedback is appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:42:11 am »
I just saw your other post, and as a fellow forum poster, I'd encourage you to go with the Jacuzzi or the Hot Spot.

Now, that is not to say that the Costco spa is terrible, in fact, I believe they have improved quite a bit from just a few years ago.

However, we are talking virtually zero price savings here and comparing a manufacturer that primarily sells through big box stores vs. local dealers. 

I have some experience with the Evolution Spa, mainly with returning them back to Costco because there is a lack of service available for them in my local area.  I do know several people that are happy with them, and I know some that aren't at all.

The warranty is better on either the Hot Spot or Jacuzzi as my first initial impression is the dealer is there to back you up in a timely manner. 

People that walk into my shop that bought something from Costco looking for technical help, I simply tell them to call the manufacturer.  It's not vindictive, I just don't work on anything that is not my brand.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:32 am »
I just saw your other post, and as a fellow forum poster, I'd encourage you to go with the Jacuzzi or the Hot Spot.

Now, that is not to say that the Costco spa is terrible, in fact, I believe they have improved quite a bit from just a few years ago.

However, we are talking virtually zero price savings here and comparing a manufacturer that primarily sells through big box stores vs. local dealers. 

I have some experience with the Evolution Spa, mainly with returning them back to Costco because there is a lack of service available for them in my local area.  I do know several people that are happy with them, and I know some that aren't at all.

The warranty is better on either the Hot Spot or Jacuzzi as my first initial impression is the dealer is there to back you up in a timely manner. 

People that walk into my shop that bought something from Costco looking for technical help, I simply tell them to call the manufacturer.  It's not vindictive, I just don't work on anything that is not my brand.

I help people with what ever brand they have and have sold many a spa because of that!    How likely do you think that customer will come back and buy a spa from you in the future when his POS costco spa or any spa for that matter fails for good?   I know it's your choice but I myself would be more inclined to buy a spa from someone that tried to help me vs the one that didn't..  Just a thought and something to think about! 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:32:36 pm »
my most recent experience was about 3 weeks ago where a customer purchased one at the beginning of spring and begged me to "please get that piece of crap out of my yard" I believe were her exact words...subpar filtration so she said it was cloudy constantly, no matter the use...and even in spring/summer months because of subpar insulation the thing ran constantly 75% of the time so I'm sure the energy consumption would be out of this world in the dead of winter.

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

I help people with what ever brand they have and have sold many a spa because of that!    How likely do you think that customer will come back and buy a spa from you in the future when his POS costco spa or any spa for that matter fails for good?   I know it's your choice but I myself would be more inclined to buy a spa from someone that tried to help me vs the one that didn't..  Just a thought and something to think about!

I'll give them all the help I can from my showroom or phone.  However, I don't go to their house to diagnose and fix it.  I will if the bring water, jet pumps, heaters to my store. 

So I'm actually more helpful than what I led you to believe. 

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »
Just thinking out loud, I don't know. :o  Major brand vrs non-major brand if you break it down to individual parts, same pcv piping, same hose, jets about the same although not exactly, the filters probably made by some nationally known company, am sure the replacements would be, pump motors about the same unless the mfg has a unique fit etc.  Not much difference in the seats when you compare some of the major brands against each other.  The shell itself, the insulation with variations in that respect and finally the control board seems to be unique.  Don't know if control board mfg makes variations for all the mfg's or not?.   I don't own a Costco brand but I do own a non major brand.  That company has gone out of business 3 years ago and I paid $3800 for it 2006.  If it craps out and I cannot repair it myself will look at a replacement but spending 10K+ for a new one will be a hard choice.  In the 6 years I have had it only two items required maintenance, A new cover and a leak between a pvc to hose connection. When I have a pump failure for instance, I know one of the dealers here in town could find me a replacement, not sure if the control board would have a replacement or not.  Hope my luck holds out on this non major brand and no longer supported by the dealer hot tub.  :P

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:42 pm »
Just thinking out loud, I don't know. :o  Major brand vrs non-major brand if you break it down to individual parts, same pcv piping, same hose, jets about the same although not exactly, the filters probably made by some nationally known company, am sure the replacements would be, pump motors about the same unless the mfg has a unique fit etc. Not much difference in the seats when you compare some of the major brands against each other.  The shell itself, the insulation with variations in that respect and finally the control board seems to be unique.  Don't know if control board mfg makes variations for all the mfg's or not?.   I don't own a Costco brand but I do own a non major brand.  That company has gone out of business 3 years ago and I paid $3800 for it 2006.  If it craps out and I cannot repair it myself will look at a replacement but spending 10K+ for a new one will be a hard choice.  In the 6 years I have had it only two items required maintenance, A new cover and a leak between a pvc to hose connection. When I have a pump failure for instance, I know one of the dealers here in town could find me a replacement, not sure if the control board would have a replacement or not.  Hope my luck holds out on this non major brand and no longer supported by the dealer hot tub.  :P

your first 2 sentences are 100% false

d00nut

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »
Just thinking out loud, I don't know. :o  Major brand vrs non-major brand if you break it down to individual parts, same pcv piping, same hose, jets about the same although not exactly, the filters probably made by some nationally known company, am sure the replacements would be, pump motors about the same unless the mfg has a unique fit etc. Not much difference in the seats when you compare some of the major brands against each other.  The shell itself, the insulation with variations in that respect and finally the control board seems to be unique.  Don't know if control board mfg makes variations for all the mfg's or not?.   I don't own a Costco brand but I do own a non major brand.  That company has gone out of business 3 years ago and I paid $3800 for it 2006.  If it craps out and I cannot repair it myself will look at a replacement but spending 10K+ for a new one will be a hard choice.  In the 6 years I have had it only two items required maintenance, A new cover and a leak between a pvc to hose connection. When I have a pump failure for instance, I know one of the dealers here in town could find me a replacement, not sure if the control board would have a replacement or not.  Hope my luck holds out on this non major brand and no longer supported by the dealer hot tub.  :P

Your assumption then implies that all the name brand spas companies our out there to screw you.  I can say that is entirely not true.  Plus, those major brands make more economical options for the folks that cannot stomach the higher priced hot tubs out there.

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:31:19 pm »
[

Was meant as a constructive conversation. (not to make your water cloudy ;-) Lets just start with the first few items, PVC piping, flex hose and the jets, filters... whats false about them. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:44:58 pm by watzup »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:27:20 am »
[

Was meant as a constructive conversation. (not to make your water cloudy ;-) Lets just start with the first few items, PVC piping, flex hose and the jets, filters... whats false about them.

When you are talking major brands, upper end there is nothing standard about them, Filtration is always something nobody else has, be it micron, no by pass/ceramic type but more than just a std pleated 50sqft filter.  Jets are always better designed to give a better massage with more variety and it's not always about how many but what they do to create somthing that feels good to the consumer than the run of the mill waterway jets.  Yes PVC is just std plumbing but how is it plumbed?  Numerous 90 degree turns, 1.5" vs 2" again many variables.  Now granted most of the "major" mnfg use a sched 40 pvc not many options for that yet, and yes some of the lower tier ones are similar to the what I call the component spa. IE Beachcomber and Cal spa while they have come out with some cool chit their company SUCKS! Clearwater,LA spa's and many more have the std stuff you descibe.  When you are talking about a upper end spa, in no order, Jacuzzi,Sundance and HotSprings and will add D1 they have gone way above and beyond the std spa a mnfg builds.  Sure they cost more, but to lump them in with the others does not not hold water!   

If you still need to ask whats false, do some research and report back, would love to hear what you find!

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:24:17 am »
When we recently bought our hot tub, I likely went over-board on background checking; but, I wanted to make sure everything was what I wanted or would expect.  From calling a couple of local and reputable spa service places for their opinions, to checking on how available parts would be, how easy to service this model vs. that one would be, to even contacting the mfg themselves to see how well they would handle my calls and questions (in both sales and their customer tech support).  My local dealer was also helpful and didn't try to push me into their most expensive offerings either and answered all my questions.  The mfg I went with was nothing short of fantastic in their service and I hold a high value on that (and that of any company).  So, yes, price is a factor for most, but I would ALWAYS consider the mfg’s level of customer service (and that of the dealer selling that model).  If those areas were lacking, I don't care if the spa was $1500 with 473 jets, 13 waterfalls and enough led lights to light-up my neighborhood, I'd walk away.  ;D 

ugarte

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 05:01:16 pm »
Hi and thanks to all on this forum who have made our first spa purchase easier through the sharing of their knowledge.  I have very recently purchased, set-up, wired, and started an Evolution Spas Athena 40 hot tub acquired online from Costco--manufactured by Strong Spas—and am happy to attempt to answer questions of a non-technical nature.  Overall, I can say with complete candor that it can be done by a newbie to the spa game; that it can be done with a 4-person, 325 gallon, mechanically simple tub-from scratch-for less than five grand; that my wife and I are very pleased with the spa’s fit, finish, and capabilities; and that the strong undercurrent on this forum against the low cost Strong/Costco option is, in our case at least, unwarranted.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
Hi and thanks to all on this forum who have made our first spa purchase easier through the sharing of their knowledge.  I have very recently purchased, set-up, wired, and started an Evolution Spas Athena 40 hot tub acquired online from Costco--manufactured by Strong Spas—and am happy to attempt to answer questions of a non-technical nature.  Overall, I can say with complete candor that it can be done by a newbie to the spa game; that it can be done with a 4-person, 325 gallon, mechanically simple tub-from scratch-for less than five grand; that my wife and I are very pleased with the spa’s fit, finish, and capabilities; and that the strong undercurrent on this forum against the low cost Strong/Costco option is, in our case at least, unwarranted.

Now we know why we are glad there are a lot of options out there. Everybody needs something different and with so many different feels/construction/support to hot tubs everybody can have what they need. A smart shopper will pay less for less or more for more but never less for more.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:49:26 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

ugarte

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:01:05 am »
Hi ssilver853,

As the PM system continues to inform me that I do not have permission to send PM's, I'll reply to your message here:  I live in Northern New England.  As our install is very recent--less then one week--I have no data to report on energy consumption.  I'll post that info when the bill comes in.  You should keep in mind that our spa has one circulation pump and one 4Kw heater; the spa you're considering is larger in volume and has 4 pumps.  (The single circulation pump when set on HI is very forceful, by the way.  My wife likes the pressure, but I prefer the low setting.  It's a more soothing soak.)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:38 am »
Hi ssilver853,

As the PM system continues to inform me that I do not have permission to send PM's,

That will go away after 3 more posts.  Sorry for the inconvenance.  We were getting hit hard with spam and was one way to stop it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 10:19:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42