What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dirty water returned to crystal clear.  (Read 9992 times)

Dirty water returned to crystal clear.
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:07 am »
I have just been to Spain for 10 days and left my 18 year old daughter in charge of the hot tub. Although she has put chlorine in the tub after her and her friends have used it, it was obviously not enough.

Water was very cloudy and difficult to see the bottom. There was also a bit of dirty looking foam. I had thought of just dumping the water considering that it was almost 3 months old, but took up the challenge to see if I could get it back.

Firstly I put two tea spoons of chlorine in (not enough I know) and this was soon used up. Put another 4 in which was used up by the next day. Then put 5 in plus 3 tablespoons of non chlorine shock, 100ml of clarifier and 25ml of no foam. Run the pumps for 40 minutes and its usual 12 hour filtration.

Next day the water smelt fresh and was crystal clear. I am amazed how you can turn bad water into good.

Hot Tub Forum

Dirty water returned to crystal clear.
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:07 am »

goose973

Re: Dirty water returned to crystal clear.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:42:05 pm »
I've had the same experience. Went away for a week and came back to cloudy water. Obviously the oxy shock and extra big chlorine dose before we left wasn't enough. All I had to do was shock with chlorine really heavy and things were back to normal in about a day.

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:58:09 am »
I have just been to Spain for 10 days and left my 18 year old daughter in charge of the hot tub. Although she has put chlorine in the tub after her and her friends have used it, it was obviously not enough.

Water was very cloudy and difficult to see the bottom. There was also a bit of dirty looking foam. I had thought of just dumping the water considering that it was almost 3 months old, but took up the challenge to see if I could get it back.

Firstly I put two tea spoons of chlorine in (not enough I know) and this was soon used up. Put another 4 in which was used up by the next day. Then put 5 in plus 3 tablespoons of non chlorine shock, 100ml of clarifier and 25ml of no foam. Run the pumps for 40 minutes and its usual 12 hour filtration.

Next day the water smelt fresh and was crystal clear. I am amazed how you can turn bad water into good.

If you manage to turn bad water into wine, please come back and post again!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

With teen age girls, it may have been enough to sanitize the tub, but it would take a 50kilo ton bomb to get rid of everything teen age girls put on their body before getting in a tub. I haven't fully read your message, but given this part alone, I would dump and refill while rinsing out the filters even if the water is only a few weeks old.

But since you did get it clear, rinse the filters if you didn't already, that is where all that stuff went.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:47:34 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

zybar

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:48 am »
Just had my hot tub (Sundnace Aspen) delivered last Thursday and it was crystal clear for the first two days.  On Saturday, we had a party for my oldest son's b-day and there were people going in and out of the tub all day (as many as 8 people at a time), as well as running from my neighbor's pool across the lawn to our hot tub.  By Sunday morning the hot tub was very cloudy, there were lots of bubbles, and the filter was very dirty (full of grass and dirt).

So yesterday I took out the filter and carefully cleaned it.  I also noticed that my Calcium and Chlorine levels were very low, so I added in the appropriate chemicals and started the process of getting things back into a good state.  After playing with things all day, I was able to get all my levels to a good state and I went to bed.  I woke up this morning and saw that the hot tub was back to a crystal clear state.  :-)  However, the Chlorine level had dropped again so I hit it with another couple of ounces and will check to see if it stabilized when I get home tonight.

Fun, fun, fun...

George   

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:05 pm »
 On days like that where the spa gets alot of use, try and hit it hard with chlorine after everyone is done going in.  Might save you having to clear it back up. 

zybar

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:14 pm »
On days like that where the spa gets alot of use, try and hit it hard with chlorine after everyone is done going in.  Might save you having to clear it back up.

Thanks Jim.

Coming from a pool, I didn't initially think about lots of kids and bumping the chlorine.  Now I know better - thanks.

George

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »
  You also have to take the heat into consideration.   Bacteria loves hot water that and kids are always dirty.  Also watch out for sunscreen can be wicked stuff. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42