What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: We got our Freeflow tubs in  (Read 15751 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
We got our Freeflow tubs in
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
Well, I signed up to be a Freeflow dealer. I have BEEN one before, but it was long long ago, when the world was right and people had money to spend.  We simply sold far more HotSpring tubs and finally gave up on the lower-priced units. But - things being as they are now, we thought selling a low-priced tub would be a good thing, and getting them from Watkins MFG who purchased them last year should make the after-sale support far better. Watkins obviously thinks the same thing, or they wouldn't have purchased Freeflow!

We got 6 of them on a truck Monday, along with a few other HotSpring tubs we needed, and put a couple of the smaller ones on the floor Tuesday. Today, we finally had time and help to put a couple more out on display.

First impressions:

There are two series - Sport and Premier. Some of the tubs are available in both series: the "Sport Series" and the "Premier Series," the only difference being the siding, and a waterfall on one of the models. So, you can choose pretty much the same tub with the plastic roto-molded siding, or simulated wood siding very similar to that on the Limelight spas. Not all the models are this way, just a few, but even that should make it easier for us dealers to show all the models without having to buy every single tub they make, and I hope it makes it easier for shoppers to get the tub they want at the price they want by making what I hope will be a simple choice of the siding. In typical Watkins fashion, they did not make it simple by giving them the same names (with and without siding) - but you can figure it out pretty easily. I like the idea, and it's also an easy way for shoppers to lower the price if they are really shopping for a low price model, or don't mind paying just a bit more for a better look.

Speaking of performance, I have not had time to fill and run one yet, but I will. Hopefully, tomorrow (Sat Aug 25, 2012). They are plug and play, so I'm not expecting them to rock the world. But with newer pump technology, and free-flowing plumbing (flex PVC with few if any 90 degree elbows, just like most tubs these days) I'm hoping they will have decent jet action. I'll let you know...

They do look a lot like the Freeflow spas we sold before. The surface is made by rotational molding, and the material is pliable, so there is a bit of waviness to all the surfaces. I don't know if Watkins will change molds or make changes to the designs to minimize that, but it's always been part of the deal with plastics of this type: even the playground equipment, storage tanks and any of the dozens of other items made in this fashion tend to have this characteristic. I think that the dull finish of both the interior and exterior tends to soften this - you don't notice it as much as you would if it was a shiny surface.

The insulating foam is soft - I'm guessing 2 pound density. With no 'hard shell' coating on the foam, you can easily poke your fingers into the bottom - but keep in mind that the bottom is mostly sealed with the exception of some cut away areas left open to allow for plumbing and other necessities. It may not be as strong as a regular HotSpring tub, but you sure will have no problem getting into it to find a leak or to do other work, down the road.

The equipment is generic. Parts should be available for DIY repair, or to save money if you are paying for any repairs after the warranty expires. And installing a more powerful pump shouldn't be tough, if you feel the need... just a thought.

The tiny models are, in fact TINY!!

The first model we unwrapped and put on display was the Emerald, one of the tubs in the "Sport" series. It is only 70" x 61" inches (32" tall). That's not very big - put in whole numbers, that is under 5' by under 6', and less than 3' tall. The seats are way deep, but I can't figure how you could put four people in the thing. Looking for a tiny little tub? I think we have found it. If you soak solo, you have four seating choices, all with different jet configurations. Have three friends who want to soak with you? You had better be VERY good friends... We are going to put them on the floor at $2995 as an introductory price. That's less than half the price of the smallest HotSpring - I think those who are looking for this size and type of tub should be very happy with them.

The larger tubs are much more generous. Obviously, the small tubs are made for folks looking to fit a tub into a tight place, and they will do it. The bigger tubs are going to be of interest to people who want to soak with friends or family, or who want to be able to stretch out without engaging in turf wars with your significant other.

All are plug and play - but convertible. So, you get a 1000 watt heater and 1.5HP pump. Keep in mind, this is Watkins MFG we are talking about, so the HP numbers are REAL. The tubs can convert to 220, which brings the heater up to 4000 watts - and of course you can then heat and jet concurrently.

OK - sorry for the mini-series post, but this is the first time in a very long time I have had anything other than main-stream HotSpring Portable Spas on our showroom floor. We can all learn together.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

We got our Freeflow tubs in
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: We got our Freeflow tubs in
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:10:37 am »
we've had them for awhile, as long as your expectations are reasonable for 3-4k they are a decent tub.  The positive thing is that they bring people in the door because we now have all price ranges covered.  Its great for first time shoppers to see what can be had in all price ranges because most don't have a grasp on price/differences (unless they've visited us at the forum first  ;D)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
 We did alright with Freeflow spa's but their customer service was always lacking.   From what I understand Denise from Freeflow is working for Watkins I hope they whip her into shape!!    We had a Caldera rep in a few months ago asking if we were still interested in carrying them (FreeFlow) and we said no, we hadn't ordered one in a long time. He also said the local HS boy's would have access to them also   ::     I think it was more of a way to get Caldera in our showroom.   I like the Caldera line from what I see and I know they build a nice spa, but I also know the "big headed" HS boys down the street would just say the Caldera is just the red headed step child of Hotspring spas.  I could be wrong but either way we don't need to go that route.  Jacuzzi builds a great product and sales have been very good..   We have one Cal spa left and that was the worse decission upper mngmnt has ever made, all I can say is I told you so  ;D      Only down fall with roto mold spa's is they don't like really fat people,  shells tend to crack after awhile specially in the step area..

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »
We did alright with Freeflow spa's but their customer service was always lacking.   From what I understand Denise from Freeflow is working for Watkins I hope they whip her into shape!!    We had a Caldera rep in a few months ago asking if we were still interested in carrying them (FreeFlow) and we said no, we hadn't ordered one in a long time. He also said the local HS boy's would have access to them also   ::     I think it was more of a way to get Caldera in our showroom.   I like the Caldera line from what I see and I know they build a nice spa, but I also know the "big headed" HS boys down the street would just say the Caldera is just the red headed step child of Hotspring spas.  I could be wrong but either way we don't need to go that route.  Jacuzzi builds a great product and sales have been very good..   We have one Cal spa left and that was the worse decission upper mngmnt has ever made, all I can say is I told you so  ;D      Only down fall with roto mold spa's is they don't like really fat people,  shells tend to crack after awhile specially in the step area..

nobody at the factory sees it that way, Caldera was swirling down the toilet before Watkins bought them out approx. 12-13 years ago...If anything it helped them sell more units by opening up more price points for consumers which is the same thinking behind the purchase of Freeflow

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:27 am »

nobody at the factory sees it that way, Caldera was swirling down the toilet before Watkins bought them out approx. 12-13 years ago...If anything it helped them sell more units by opening up more price points for consumers which is the same thinking behind the purchase of Freeflow

"nobody at the factory sees it that way" 

No I would not imagine they do, I just know what they say against us in land mine type way's. In the long run it doesn't really matter.  They have been around a long time, and I know for the most part they take care of their customers.   

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:51 am »
The reality is that dealers have to cover all grounds to be successful and now Watkins dealers can within the same truckload. Its a win for all really.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:43:52 am by Hot Spring Ace »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
Well, it got busy and I had to wait several more days before I had time to fill and fire up one of these new beasties. Yesterday it actually rained (yes, it does that about three days a year here...) so I had to reschedule some repair work and I grabbed the garden hose!

The Tub I filled is called the "Monterey" which is the same as the "Solstice," only without the wood-look siding, and the water feature. I was bummed - as soon as I had it full and running - that I had chosen a tub without a water feature, so we may move a couple of them around and transfer the water into the "Solstice" next week. I think the tub shows better with a nice waterfall.

The tub ran on low speed the rest of the day. I just plugged it into a 15A outlet nearby - I discovered that it WILL NOT plug into our 20A outlet which we installed in this display area just to show smaller tubs, because the 15A cord has the ground down, while the 20A outlet needs the ground up. But, the fact that the tub is "Plug 'n Play" came in handy: I did have two regular outlets to choose from, and they don't have anything else on the same circuit, so we are good.

The Motor Compartment doesn't have much in the way of insulation: the 'full foam' comes into the corners and stops on either side of the equipment area. As a result, the motor made a bit more noise than a HotSpring with a two-speed pump running on low. I don't think a customer would have trouble with the level of sound, but sitting next to a HotSpring with a two-speed jet pump, it is very noticeable.

The cover - made by our friends at Robert's Hot Tubs - fits like a glove. I'm not a fan of covers which fit like a glove - you have to walk around tugging at the skirt to get it to fit all the way around. However, I'm reserving judgement on that until the tub has been hot for a week or so to see if it relaxes a bit. The cover is well built, and looks like it will go the distance - color is brown. The fasteners are not installed on the side of the tub - I'm sure not going to install them for the showroom floor - and I actually like the fact that Watkins chose not to install them: the customer can do it, and that means they have options.

The jet action is better than we expected: the diverter is smoooooth and new. Love that. There are some spinners and some regular jets in two sizes: that's it. Three types of jets. I would swap in more spinners if I was going to live with this type of tub, but I could do it.

There you are, so far...

8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
Update on the update: I forgot to mention that the equipment compartment door is double-wall. They make it as a separate piece - may have to post a photo to make myself clear - but it is a heavy, thick piece which has a hollow core and two walls. They simply drilled four holes and set it in place with SS screws and trim washers. But the point is:

It really quieted down the tub! I was very pleased with how much less sound came from the tub once I closed up the door!!

8)

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »
Update on the update: I forgot to mention that the equipment compartment door is double-wall. They make it as a separate piece - may have to post a photo to make myself clear - but it is a heavy, thick piece which has a hollow core and two walls. They simply drilled four holes and set it in place with SS screws and trim washers. But the point is:

It really quieted down the tub! I was very pleased with how much less sound came from the tub once I closed up the door!!

8)

Yes, much quieter with the door closed! ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42