What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pH vs. alkalinity  (Read 3125 times)

fishkat

pH vs. alkalinity
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »
My pH is good at 7.4 but my alkalinity is reading high at 300-350. Is there any way to bring the alkalinity down without bringing down the pH? Everything I've read states to use pH decreaser to bring down alkalinity, but I don't need to decrease my pH. I've been a spa tub owner for 5 years now and have not experienced this issue prior to now. Any insight would be greatly appeciated.
fishkat

Hot Tub Forum

pH vs. alkalinity
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: pH vs. alkalinity
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
How old is the water?  High alk is not the end of the world, you can decrease it but many times I just leave it alone on my own spa and it's fine till I am ready to drain it.   If you water is more than 5/6 months old it may be ready for a change??

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:57 am »
If your pH doesn't tend to rise, then don't worry about it unless your Calcium Hardness (CH) is higher (say, 100 ppm or more).  You may be using a net acidic sanitizier (Dichlor granular/powder or bromine tabs) or oxidizer (MPS) that's helping to balance the pH.

If you do want to lower the TA, then that is done through a combination of acid addition WITH AERATION of the water, which is pretty easy to do in a spa with jets.  The procedure is detailed in this post.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:04:34 am by chem geek »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42