What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New User - Please Help!!!  (Read 8099 times)

SpaAngel

New User - Please Help!!!
« on: May 30, 2004, 01:26:47 am »
Sounds like most of you have been down this road before -- the quest for a perfect spa.   ;)

My boyfriend and I have been to all dealers within a 50 mile radius of our home and have narrowed it down to two spas (okay, maybe three -- only the wet test(s) will tell for sure).

Looking for thoughts/opinions with regard to the following manufacturers/models:

Phoenix Spas -- Model = Sorrento
Sundance Spas -- Model = Altamar
Hallmark Spas -- Model Onyx

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.   :-*

Hot Tub Forum

New User - Please Help!!!
« on: May 30, 2004, 01:26:47 am »

Tubber

Re: New User - Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:46:28 am »
Sundance is the most reputable of the three you mentioned. Down to one micron filtration, manifold system for delivery to the jets not needing huge pumps to achieve a deep tissue massage.

SpaAngel

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 11:52:56 am »
Thanks for your input, Tubber!

I would also like to add that the Phoenix Spa we are looking at has fiber optic lights in the jets themselves.  Any of you ever seen this?  Pros?  Cons?  I have been told that it has an impact on the amount of pressure coming out of the jets.  We can get this model without the fiber optic lights in the jets, but it sure does look pretty.  Again, thanks for any and all insight that you all can provide with regard to aiding us in our quest for the perfect spa/hot tub!!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 12:16:17 pm »
Thanks for your input, Tubber!

I would also like to add that the Phoenix Spa we are looking at has fiber optic lights in the jets themselves.  Any of you ever seen this?  Pros?  Cons?  

I have a dynasty spa, and I have talked to one user who has the next model up from mine. One feature of that model is the lighted jets and his had a couple that leaked. (for what that is worth)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:16:42 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 05:05:18 pm »
Consider the Sundance.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 10:19:59 pm »
Of the three companies you mentioned, I'd be looking toward Sundance.  Phoenix is in a lower tier qualitywise, and I've never heard of your third brand.
I was unimpressed with Phoenix, and even less impressed with their local dealer.  
The Phoenix factory itself has had it's share of bad press over the years also.

Brewman
Brewman

SpaAngel

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 11:04:50 pm »
After wet testing a few more spas today, we are definitely leaning toward the Sundance.  However, we have come across two other brands that we have never heard of, but after wet-testing, are very impressed with.

Have any of you had experience with or heard of Artesian and/or Coast Spas?  Again, any and all insight would be greatly appreciated.  

P.S.  This is a great site for rookies.  I have been armed with the knowledge necessary to make an informed decision.  Thanks to you all!!!

poopsy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 12:30:32 am »
angel...how did you find the foot jets in the lounger on the altamar? I like the tub but found those jets weak and i am 5 foot 11  and have hard time feling those jets...

Tubber

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 05:34:06 am »
Coast makes a good spa. Big pumps for big bills though. They are pretty with all the lighting.

SpaAngel

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 11:18:59 am »
Poopsy, my bad.  We didn't wet test the Altamar, but the Cameo.  Loved it -- didn't love the salesperson.  She brought down the price of the spa, but then it immediately jumped back up to its original price after "options" were added.  All other sales going on this Memorial Day weekend were sans sales tax, etc.  We walked, but may call her back today.

Another thing I found quite strange with the Cameo is that in the lounger, with the air jets turned on, I got a burning sensation from the leg jets on the lounger when my legs were resting right on them.  I have felt cold air jets on other spas, none of which gave me a burning sensation.  Loved the foot jets on the Cameo, though.

Tubber, when you say "big bills," how big?

Thanks again.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 11:34:36 am »
I'm a gadget nut - I chose the model of spa I have because of the cool waterfall which changes color with the light in the spa.

But I would not put a hundred extra holes in the spa for fiberoptic lights, nor would I bother with lit jets.

Seems like too much chance for a leak - and too much to go wrong - in my none-to-humble opinion.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

SpaAngel

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 11:39:21 am »
Chas, I completely agree with you.  Thanks for your response.

SpaAngel

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 01:07:16 pm »
I really appreciate this site and all of it's members.

You guys/gals really take a lot of confusion out of finding the perfect spa.

We are still shopping, but I do have a imprtant question.

My boyfriend is out in the back yard moving dirt to prepare for the slab (pad) that will be installed under the tub.
Anyone out there know how thick it needs to be? I would hate for him to have to move some dirt back..

Thanks for all of the info so far. We currently have the dealer filling up a Coast spa "Lanai" so we can wet test it today.  

Any info on this make/model out there?

Here is the URL:

http://www.coastspas.com/site/html/models/models_f.html

SpaAngel

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 08:29:32 pm »
K.  Looks like we are going to go with the Artesian Piper Glen.  Wet-tested it a second time (along with the Coast Linai).  Coast Linai literally blew us out of the water.  Love the Piper Glen!!!!

Thanks to all for your assistance.  Haven't closed the deal, but will tomorrow.  If any of you can think of any reason not to go with this manufacturer, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Again, this site is the BEST EVER for first-timers like me.  :-*

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 09:43:03 pm »
To answer your question, you concrete should be at least 4" thick.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 09:43:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42