What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Foundation Options  (Read 5163 times)

newguy35

Foundation Options
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »
hey guys.  i'm hoping to be a first time hot tub owner within the next few months.  i'm trying to be very diligent and take my time in researching everything.  i wanted to get opinions on the foundation.  the tub will go next to (not on) my deck.  from what i've read some people swear by poured concrete.  others seem to like pea gravel.  i've heard and read a little about the ez pad.  i'm wondering what you all think.  aesthetics are important to me (of course i'd like it to look nice), but the cost of it is also important.  probably most of all, however, is the long term structural integrity of it.  i do not want to make a big investment on a tub, only to have settling/sinking that compromises the spa shell and/or voids the warranty.  what do you guys think?  any ideas on cost for the various options? how much bigger should the foundation be than the spa itself?

thanks!! 

p.s.: for what its worth i live in rhode island

Hot Tub Forum

Foundation Options
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Foundation Options
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:02:36 pm »
My 2 cents.  There is nothing like pured concrete as far as longevity. I'm located in mass. And have used the ez pad a few different times.  Most of the time it has worked out fine but I have seen it settle over time.  Plus when you really breakdown the costs it is not much cheaper then poured concrete

sorebikr

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:09:02 am »
I agree as well.  When you consider the amount of prep required for Concrete vs EZ Pads, when done right, its nearly a wash.  Usually what helps me make these decisions is amortizing your cost/savings over the estimated life of your tub.  Maybe you'd save $500 or so by going as cheaply as possible.  Over 10 years, you're talking $5/month in savings.  At that point I usually choose the more expensive option for peace of mind. 

(Concrete slab in Northeast PA)

JohnnyK45

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:47 am »
Concrete slab; although with it being a smaller project, some contractors don't want to mess with it or you may have to be more flexible and let some outfit schedule it in when they are doing another larger job nearby.  Since new, I'd want my slab to be 6" thick as well (just my opinion).

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »
Concrete slab; although with it being a smaller project, some contractors don't want to mess with it or you may have to be more flexible and let some outfit schedule it in when they are doing another larger job nearby.  Since new, I'd want my slab to be 6" thick as well (just my opinion).

this...if you wanna do it once and do it right, frame it up with 2"x6" and use rebar and/or wire mesh

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »
Concrete slab; although with it being a smaller project, some contractors don't want to mess with it

That was my experience as well, I think I ended up getting someone else's left over concrete, but what the heck 10 years later it still looks good.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42