What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: FLOATER QUESTION: Switching back from bromine to chlorine  (Read 16807 times)

avery11

FLOATER QUESTION: Switching back from bromine to chlorine
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 hot spring spa. I sanitized with dichlor granules for 1.5 years. I then developed excema and switched to Bromine.

What I like about bromine:
The floater has been fantastic. I test the water 3+ times a week ( I just enjoy testing the water with my drop test kit!) and the ph and bromine levels have been solid as a rock. I add my bromine puck to the floater and that's it. If we went away I'm less concerned about coming back to a cloudy spa (which happened to me twice with chlorine).

What I didn't like about chlorine:
-needed to add chlorine every day to maintain the 1-2 ppm

I would like to switch back to chlorine:
1. I prefer the lack of odor in the spa and on my skin afterward
2. my dermatologist mentioned that there is some research that suggests chlorine may improve excema symptoms

Simply put, is there a  chlorine sanitizer regimen that uses a floater, that is as simple and effective as my current bromine approach? I've seen some discussions regarding trichlor pucks, and it hasn't been favorable.

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

FLOATER QUESTION: Switching back from bromine to chlorine
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: FLOATER QUESTION: Switching back from bromine to chlorine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »
I'm not a bromine fan because of the smell and those bromine tablets you used were part chlorine so you never really went away from chlorine..

I use a simple chlorine method. You never really can keep the chlorine level constant but I don't try to anyway. I simply add 1 generous teaspoon per person AFTER we exit the spa. That raises the chlorine level but before we go in again it drops so we never sit in heavily chlorinated water. I also hit it in between soaks if we go without using it for 5 or so days. The key is to not forget to add when you exit, check ph/alk every week or two, clean filters regularly...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Camlachie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »
Have you looked into 35% Hydrogen peroxide, I started using it 8 months ago and never looked back, it is therapeutic for all types of skin problems, there is little to no smell, it will not dry your skin out, a much more natural way to sanitize a tub. I love it ,I will never go back to bromine.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:53 am »
Do not, under any circumstances, use Trichlor (the tablet form of Chlorine). It will damage your cover, pillows, shaft seals in the pumps, and may cause damage to the shell finish if the floater settles in the same spot - which is exactly what they tend to do.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »
Do not, under any circumstances, use Trichlor (the tablet form of Chlorine). It will damage your cover, pillows, shaft seals in the pumps, and may cause damage to the shell finish if the floater settles in the same spot - which is exactly what they tend to do.

8)

this is true, I had a customer attempt this same scenario and his floater came to a rest in the skimmer area and ate the plastic off the tops of both of his filters

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:26 pm »
If you use the spa every day or two, then adding chlorine after each soak is easy to do -- just add enough so you get 1-2 ppm FC at the start of your next soak.  If you are only soaking once or twice a week, say on weekends, then you'd need to add chlorine during the week, but it doesn't have to be every day since you can overshoot so that it lasts longer.  Another alternative you might look into is a saltwater chlorine generator such as Chlormatic, but make sure your spa warranty isn't voided by the required higher salt level (usually around 2000 ppm).

JohnnyK45

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »
I'm new to the hot tub world and might be buying mine later today actually, but while doing my checking and such, a good friend of mine in WA who is a bit of a health nut and into natural stuff, recommended I look at Spa Magic products for my tub.  He told me Bromine (and other related products) have actual warnings on them about not getting into contact with your skin, eyes, etc. and that it and other toxic chemicals contain pesticides.  Starting new, I'm going to try to go the natural product route, prefer this than having my family sit in toxic water. Just FYI.

J

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »
I guess those of us who have been letting our friends and love ones sit in toxic water should be ashamed?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:56:22 pm »
I'm new to the hot tub world and might be buying mine later today actually, but while doing my checking and such, a good friend of mine in WA who is a bit of a health nut and into natural stuff, recommended I look at Spa Magic products for my tub.  He told me Bromine (and other related products) have actual warnings on them about not getting into contact with your skin, eyes, etc. and that it and other toxic chemicals contain pesticides.  Starting new, I'm going to try to go the natural product route, prefer this than having my family sit in toxic water. Just FYI.

J

You still have to use chlorine and/or shock with SpaMagic, there is not 1 single system on the market where you are NOT adding chlorine and/or shock on a regular basis...the only exception would be a salt water system, but even with those you are generating chlorine from the salt in the water instead of manually pouring in the product yourself

from their website:

3.  Shocking your spa water every week is recommended or anytime you have cloudy water or get an organic odor. To be more environmental we suggest 99% sodium dichlor, because this particular type of chlorine dissipates out of your spa water, when you run all pumps on high with the cover open for 30 minutes (be sure all jets are open). This will also ensure you don't have to soak in chlorine, or breathe in the fumes while enjoying your hot tubs & spas. The Natural Hot Tub Company ® Water Treatment & Conditioner is also compatible with non-chlorine shocks, however it is not recommended because it contains up to 7 other chemicals that do not dissipate out of hot tubs & spas water and can give those with sensitive skin a rash.

and this:

Should you have more than the average number of people in your spa, or ever get a slight organic odor, you may need to shock your water by adding 2-3 teaspoons of spa chlorine granules (99% Dichlor) to your water and run all jets and pumps on high for 15 minutes with your cover off. Remember spas need to breathe (oxygenate). After doing this remove your filter(s) and rinse off if necessary.

might want to let your friend know he has in fact been poisoning himself  8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:02:10 pm by TwinCitiesHotSpring »

JohnnyK45

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 04:12:38 pm »
It seems the local retailers by me are clueless about other alternatives; if using Spa Magic or other related more natural products allow you to minimize the amount of other chemicals you put in your hot tub, why not consider it then?  Seems there isn't much to lose if it gets the job done.

JohnnyK45

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
Here are two other product lines, yes, some over the top hype and such on the sites, but some valid points too  and I wonder if anyone on this forum has used this stuff, or that Spa Magic, etc. and have been happy with the results...

http://www.clarityforspas.com/index.htm

http://thenaturalspa.com/

J

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:44:11 pm »
It seems the local retailers by me are clueless about other alternatives; if using Spa Magic or other related more natural products allow you to minimize the amount of other chemicals you put in your hot tub, why not consider it then?  Seems there isn't much to lose if it gets the job done.

The local retailers are not clueless "most" just know what they are talking about when it comes to maintaining a spa and what works, they don't need to sell Spa Magic.

I also happen to live in Washington state and I use chlorine and we don't sell spa magic   ;)

Try if you like it then go with it! 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »
Here are two other product lines, yes, some over the top hype and such on the sites, but some valid points too  and I wonder if anyone on this forum has used this stuff, or that Spa Magic, etc. and have been happy with the results...

http://www.clarityforspas.com/index.htm

http://thenaturalspa.com/

J

I have used it all...Aquafinesse, EZ Spa, Silk Balance, Copper Systems...etc etc and it all boils down to this: each system can work in its own right, but a lot of it depends on your personal usage, if you have a heavier use or above average use spa your going to need to supplement with chlorine or shock to the point that using one of the above mentioned products doesn't really make sense because they ARE NOT Sanitizers because they do not have ingredients that are disclosed, nor have they been tested by the EPA.

I find it funny that your "buddy" says that soaking in products that have been tested and approved by the EPA as safe effective sanitizers are essentially poison, but he has no problem sitting in a spa that has been treated with a product that doesn't even list the ingredients on the bottle, and has not been approved by any official organization like the EPA..aka you have no idea what your soaking in

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 05:09:43 pm »
 Not to insult his buddy but he is one of the many "natural" type people we have living in Washington  ::) 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 05:13:09 pm »
Not to insult his buddy but he is one of the many "natural" type people we have living in Washington  ::)

ok well I'll take chlorine and sit in a safe and sanitized spa....the "naturalists" can go natural and end up in the hospital with hot tub folliculitis after soaking the "natural" way   8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 05:13:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42