What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ID this hot tub  (Read 9817 times)

sorebikr

Re: ID this hot tub
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:39 pm »
I hope these questions aren't dumb one but I'm a newbie to hot tubs.    Maybe I'll have home fill it and run it.  How long will it take to heat up?   If I fill it and run it what am I looking for?    I probably can't wait until it heats up.   The is a vacant house so no one will be there to put it on before I meet the owner there

Not dumb questions at all.  Assuming this is still connected to the power supply, this shouldn't be too big a deal for either of you.  I'll make some guesses but I'm sure the pros will weigh in in a moment or two with actuals.  4-5hrs to fill it before you can turn it on.  Then, overnight to know whether or not the heater works and the circ pumps stay on?

You're looking to see if the water stays in the tub.
You're looking to see if the turning on all teh pumps on high trips any breakers, or causes water to leak
Looking to see if the water gets up to 100 degree or not (getting a little warmer might not be enough of a test)
Looking to see if the controls work.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:09:39 pm »

Dawgs

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »
Ok I wanted to see if the tub powers up.   I know it's a no no with no water but I powered it up for a second.   The controls lit up and It sounded as if the pump kicked on....I shut it right down....is this all normal?

sorebikr

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:18:21 am »
Ok I wanted to see if the tub powers up.   I know it's a no no with no water but I powered it up for a second.   The controls lit up and It sounded as if the pump kicked on....I shut it right down....is this all normal?

No.  Its not normal, or good, to fire up a tub without water in it.  *sigh*  Its like talking to a version me, from 15 years ago.  Stop and think for a second man, people are trying to give you good advice here to help you.  If you take on a broken tub, what are the risks:
-Lost money
-Hassle of moving it
-More money for repairs?
-If it can't be repaired, then what do you do with it?

In theory you're going to have this thing for years, don't you think its worth a weekend's investment?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:20:38 am by sorebikr »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:26 am »
Get permission - fill the tub. It may take as little as a half-hour to fill it, or longer depending upon the water pressure.

When full - turn on the 20 amp breaker in the sub panel near the spa (follow the gray flex conduit which leaves under the door).

Run the jets - five or ten minutes.

Then turn on the 30 amp breaker in the sub panel. If possible, watch the electric meter on the house - it should speed up a lot when you turn on the 30A breaker.

It takes four to six hours for this tub to heat up to full temp. If you have permission, I would close it up and come back then. If not, it's ok - just be sure it is heating, and allow it to run for at least an hour to be sure all systems are 'go.'

Shut off power, open the drain.

I think it should be well worth that time to save yourself from potential hassles down the road. Of course, if they will sell it for $500 or so, just grab it and run!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dawgs

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
ok i filled it half way ...the pumps ran fine but the heater is cracked....the gray plastic cap on the end of the heater tubes is split and pissing out of it.    can the cap be replaced or does it require a new heater?   before we knew the heater was cracked i was gonna buy it for $650      now what do you think i should do?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »
ok i filled it half way ...the pumps ran fine but the heater is cracked....the gray plastic cap on the end of the heater tubes is split and pissing out of it.    can the cap be replaced or does it require a new heater?   before we knew the heater was cracked i was gonna buy it for $650      now what do you think i should do?

If the heater had worked you'd have been getting a used heater with unknown mileage left on it. I think you should find out how much a new heater is and see if the spa owner is willing to goes halves with you on it. That seems fair to me because even though your overall cost for the spa goes up you're getting a new heater out of it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
Replacement heater for that tub is around $300

If you purchase it from a real HotSpring dealer, it will come with a one-year parts warranty, and it will have a PDR system. That is, Power Down Reset - you don't have to open the door and find a reset button if the heater every overheats. Just turn it off and back on again.

$650 isn't a bad price - if you buy it, be SURE they include the sub panel and breakers, or at least the breakers.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42