What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with first purchase...the usual questions  (Read 13733 times)

zybar

Help with first purchase...the usual questions
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
The good news is that we are looking to take our first plunge and buy a hot tub.  :)  We want a big tub so the whole family and neighbors can enjoy it.   

The bad news is that it is very challenging to get a handle on brands, features, cost, etc...

After doing a lot of online research, my wife and I spent 20-30 mins at our local Sundance dealer (just outside of Boston) this afternoon in an 880 Aspen. It was very comfortable, had lots of different types of jets and options, and seemed to be very well made. 

However, I was more than a little shocked at the cost -  which was somewhat negotiated down to about $15k all in (tub, cover with lifter, Ozone device, steps, chemicals, delivery and setup, tax, etc..).

So here are some questions:

1.  What is a good price on an Aspen?  What type of discount should one expect?

2.  What other brands/models should we be considering?

3.  How do you evaluate other models and/or features if the dealer doesn't have them in stock?  For example, after talking to a friend tonight, we are thinking we need to try a tub with a full body lounge option, yet the dealer didn't have a Maxxus we could try.

Given how new I am to this area, any advice in addition to these questions is greatly  appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George

Hot Tub Forum

Help with first purchase...the usual questions
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Help with first purchase...the usual questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:22 pm »
  The Aspen is a nice spa, pretty much the same as the Jacuzzi J-495.   Price wise it is high, but every dealer has certain cost.. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:25:00 pm by Jacuzzi Jim »

zybar

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:04:00 am »
Thanks for the posts.

I will give the others a try.

George

zybar

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:03 am »
BTW, is there a certain number of posts I need to hit before I can send a PM?

I received one, but I am unable to reply to the person.

George

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:24 am »

George

I'm not sure why you can't respond. I wonder why someone is PMing you and not just posting their sales pitch out in the open.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »

George

I'm not sure why you can't respond. I wonder why someone is PMing you and not just posting their sales pitch out in the open.

the same reason companies bury their warranties on there website 25 clicks deep...its bs  8)

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:26:19 pm »
That sounds very high to me. I would keep looking at the other brands others mentioned. I would also look at Arctic Spas. I know there is a really good dealer in the Boston area. And Arctic offers lots of jetting options with a wide range in pricing.

I think you have to have at least 5 posts before replying to pm's. If I had to guess, it probably has to do with preventing spam. Good luck in your search!
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:35 am »

George

I sent it and it was not a sales pitch, it had to with pricing and I didn't think it needed to be here.   

I have been replacing a 3000 sq ft roof on our house for my vacation  ::) for the last week+.  I don't even remember what I sent him now :lol:

Ya know I worked on king crab boats and costal frieghters in Alaska, and I would rather do that again than be a roofer!    But then I was also a bit younger also..

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:33 am »

George

Sorry for the inconvenience. I believe its 5 posts.  Our board was getting slammed with spam and the only way we could make it quit was requiring a person to post 5 messages before their messages appeared instantly. The same probably applies to PMs so that spammers don't spread their crap by PM in stead of message. 
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

zybar

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:43:53 am »
Ok.

You might want to add that info to the FAQ or somewhere.

George

zybar

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:09:46 am »

George

I sent it and it was not a sales pitch, it had to with pricing and I didn't think it needed to be here.   

I have been replacing a 3000 sq ft roof on our house for my vacation  ::) for the last week+.  I don't even remember what I sent him now :lol:

Ya know I worked on king crab boats and costal frieghters in Alaska, and I would rather do that again than be a roofer!    But then I was also a bit younger also..

It wasn't a sales pitch and I found his PM to be very useful.

George

zybar

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:13:34 am »
Really struggling to find dealers in my area who have tubs to wet test.  :-(

I wanted to try a tub with a lounger in it, but have struck out so far.

George

manwgoldengun

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:16:24 am »
I LOVED the Aspen...but it is pricey $$$$!!!!  I decided to go a bit smaller (if indeed Sundance is my brand of choice) with the Optima.  A few thousand less in my area and pretty roomy.  What's the deal with the Hot Springs heater/fire recall?  I heard about it through the Sundance salesman.  Is this true and accurate? 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:41 am »
I LOVED the Aspen...but it is pricey $$$$!!!!  I decided to go a bit smaller (if indeed Sundance is my brand of choice) with the Optima.  A few thousand less in my area and pretty roomy.  What's the deal with the Hot Springs heater/fire recall?  I heard about it through the Sundance salesman.  Is this true and accurate?

there was a recall and any affected units were covered by the manufacturer, all units from months ago moving forward are fine.  Nothing to worry about moving forward, just a salesman's attempt to "scare" you out of another product option

zybar

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

I agree that the Aspen is nice AND pricey.

Are there any major differences between the two from your viewpoint (other than size)?

If you don't go with Sundance, what would you go with?

George

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42