What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman hot tub question  (Read 5966 times)

zsawyer

Coleman hot tub question
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:12 pm »
Hi guys,

I understand Coleman isn't actually a hot tub manufacturer, just another company that pays to use the name. However, people seem to hold them in high regard around here.

I know it is very important to wet-test hot tubs, but I had a quick question. I don't want to open up the costco debate again, but is the following:
 http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10363342&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|114|4639|4640&N=4010535&Mo=10&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4640&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC11055-Cat4639&topnav=

Considered a good quality hot tub? Just wondering if they are the same Coleman brand that others have discussed on here.

Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman hot tub question
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:12 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Coleman hot tub question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:56:45 am »
So far, every manufacturer who has put tubs in a Costco or Sam's club program has had to select features or benefits to reduce in order to offer a tub at the price the big retailer demands of them. So the answer would seem to be, "no, it's not the same tub."

Look closely and you will see: something has to give in order to drop the price that low. And you could argue that they are selling direct, but that doesn't hold water (pun fully intended) because they have simply replaced one dealer with another.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

zsawyer

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:37 am »
Yeah I totally understand that costco isn't going to be the same kind of tub you get at a dealer.

However, during my research into reputable hot tubs Colemans name kept coming up as one of them. Mentioned with the likes of Arctic and Artesian, so I was wondering if these were the same tubs others have mentioned.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »
  Coleman I believe is made by Cal-spas?  Which also sold in Costco under the OC brand.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »
Coleman came up as a "reputable hot tub" when they were being made by MAAX Spas. MAAX no longer has license to the Coleman name, as it was put up for "auction" to the highest bidder.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »
Coleman came up as a "reputable hot tub" when they were being made by MAAX Spas. MAAX no longer has license to the Coleman name, as it was put up for "auction" to the highest bidder.

Funny, I remember when it happened, there was some talk here about people being "confused" over it in the future
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
The Coleman made by Maxx used to confused people back then because some thought it had some tie to Coleman outdoor products but it was just Maxx using that "Coleman" name. Nonetheless I think it was a pretty well respected spa.

Then Cal won the name when Coleman put it up for auction. The Cal-Coleman has nothing to do with the Coleman that were made by Maxx let alone anything to do with the company known for coolers, etc. To me, its just another Cal and I'm not a Cal fan no matter what name they use to disguise it.

Remember Caddyshack? It was a good comedy but then different writers, producers, director, actors decided to make Caddyshack II. While it shared the same name it was not the same, in any way!!!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42