What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4303 times)

Bc1963

« on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »
First time buyer. Live in southern new England. Want 6+ seater. Lounger, lights, sound system, 40+ jets. Spend between $7500-$9000. Is it realistic? What should I get. What else in terms of features should I be looking at? Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

« on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:43 pm »

dhouser8

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »
You'll be able to get something really nice in that price range... I live in CO and have a friend that sells new and used hot tubs here XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I got my 6 person maxx spa brand new for $5k, so you should be fine.

I wouldn't tell your sales person your price range prior to purchase, ask them how much first and then you will have the upper-hand in making the deal. Also, you'll want to purchase from someone who has knowledge of hot tub maintenance and care, and make sure you have a good warranty!

Moderator note: We do not allow promoting specific dealers. I removed the link to your friends site. Feel free to private message the OP if you wish.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:36:44 pm by wmccall »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:00:47 pm »
First time buyer. Live in southern new England. Want 6+ seater. Lounger, lights, sound system, 40+ jets. Spend between $7500-$9000. Is it realistic? What should I get. What else in terms of features should I be looking at? Thanks!

IMO the order which someone should use to decide what to get should be 1-budget, 2-quality product, 3-quality dealer (you can argue 2 or 3 being flip flopped) and then 4-features. If I had $8k to spend I'd rather get a good quality made spa from a good dealer rather than a run of the mill spa (or some internet spa) even if it meant having to skip on a waterfall, a few jets, special lighting or even sound system (never a great idea in spas and not a great value for what you pay IMO). Don't get sucked in by jet counts and bling in a sales presentation. I'd look at quality spa makers like Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance and see what dealers may be in your area. They all will have models in that price range and they'll have their share of bling to go along with makign a good product with a warranty you can trust.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:25:36 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  You are not totally unrealistic, but I would go with your price in mind and see what you like.  Specific numbers of jets may be secondary, most people find they don't use the sound system like they thought.  Let us know what you see.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

sorebikr

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  You are not totally unrealistic, but I would go with your price in mind and see what you like.  Specific numbers of jets may be secondary, most people find they don't use the sound system like they thought.  Let us know what you see.

As a recent first time buyer you'll get a lot of good advice on this board.  A few other thoughts that haven't been covered yet:
  • There is no Consumer Reports type site for hot tubs, or impartial reviews
  • Because of that, everyone will suggest you wet test multiple tubs.  It feels silly.  You still need to do it
  • I personally like and use my sound system every time I'm in the tub, so everyone has their preferences
  • Beyond that, the brands referenced before are all reputable, and going with a local dealer that you're comfortable with is key
  • Finally, make sure you're budgeting for the electrical hookup (dedicated 220 line) as well as the foundation/location of the tub.  Stuff adds up
  • And the debate rages on as far as chemicals go.  As far as I can tell, they all work and are all good, so it shouldn't be a major determining factor for your purchase

goodluck
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:37:32 pm by sorebikr »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42