What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Uncovering the replacement spa cover thread  (Read 2731 times)

TimetoChill

Uncovering the replacement spa cover thread
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »
Hey folks,  I haven't been on since I picked up my Dimension One Chairman II 2003 model hot tub back in (I think) 2007-8.  But I have risen from the steaming relaxing waters to appear before you (dripping wet, of course) today.  The cover for my tub has shown all the signs of dementia expected with it's age.  It's soft, has a lot of trouble bending, is incontinent, and seems to be venting, even when no one else is around.  I think it's time to put it down.  Which brings me to my question for you, the foam of the crop.<snark>  Where is the best place to get a decent cover at a good price.  What features should I look for?  I did some prelim poking about and found that the tech has moved on a bit since 2003 when the cover was borne.  Here are some things you will likely want to know when making any recommendations.  I am in western PA.  The hot tub is outside, but sheltered under a patio roof which I surround with plastic sheeting during the winter.  It is also fairly well shielded from blowing winds.  I can still use the original cover valet thing that came with the tub (basically a metal tubular rectangle that I fold the cover over and drag off the top of the tub to hang along side the back edge) tho, it is difficult for my wife and kids to operate.  It's basically a two stressed person operation, haha.  What options would y'all think would be a good match for my situation?

Thanks~!  ;)
2003 Dimension 1 Chairman II (400 gallons)  Bought 2nd hand in March 2007 for, are you ready? $1500.00!!

Hot Tub Forum

Uncovering the replacement spa cover thread
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Uncovering the replacement spa cover thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:30:01 pm »
Welcome back!

I mainly hear two online 3rd party covers companies mentioned here. I went with one from California.  I will add this advice, if you go this route keep in mind these are built to order and non-refundable, something they will remind you of when you place the order.  That said, there is enough slop in the dimensions that  doing the measurement isn't too hard. My cover came and fit just fine.  You can look at your original cover for an idea of what to get.   My original cover had a ungodly thick cover, I'm thinking it was 5" thick sloping to 4" and when it got heavy it was a monster to handle. My tub is 92" x 92". I went with a thinner cover  with a reflective underside and double wrapped liners and this seems to be a good choice, I think its been 3 years. I think I also went with an optional double stitched hinge as the hinges take a lot of abuse on bigger covers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:20 pm »
I needed to replace my Marquis cover and went to the dealer and replaced it with the exact same Marquis cover

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »
While that tends to be the easiest way to go, in many, if not most (but not all) instances, the quality of the cover will be on the lower end. Most manufacturers tend to go with a rather low, or lower, quality cover to save on costs, as the consumer could NEVER tell the difference, even when looking at one right next to a high quality cover. Thinner vinyl, thinner poly wrap, lighter density foam...all areas where $$$ can be shaved off the cost, yet you wont be able to actually see the difference.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:58:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42