What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: When to change water.  (Read 14138 times)

smackman

When to change water.
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:06 am »
I read where many change there water every 3-4 months. My question is how do you deal with the soap/oil foam when waiting this long to change your water? I think defoamer is only good for a short period before it become ineffective like in a week.

We use our Hot tub at least 5 days a week averaging 20 minutes at at time. Our temp. is around 101 year round. My PH is 7.2; My alkalinity is approx. 100 and Bromine level is approx 5 ppm.

Do most just out up with the soap/oil bubbles or what? Oily skin,body dandruff, etc. everyone naturally has.
 If I changed my water every 3 months, It would be bad really bad. I might go 2 months at the longest.

Just looking for responses or secrets......... LOL

Hot Tub Forum

When to change water.
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

sorebikr

Re: When to change water.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
Its pretty top secret....

Take a shower before getting in the tub.  :)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:01:51 pm »
I don't understand why you are introducing soap into your water.

I have never had a problem with foam, so it must be something you are taking into the water with you. Keep a separate set of swimwear for the tub that has not been covered in soap powder.

As for oil and skin etc, a weekly shock should be oxidizing organic waste.I presume that you are shocking the water regularly?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »
If you bathe in the spa, you'll need to change the water more frequently.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:36:27 pm »

It can be a little more than that, We also require any quest to let us rinse out their suits before getting in the tub, even if they just washed them at home.  Regularly washing leaves soap residue and with several people in a tub it can get noticeable quickly.   We have special hot tub only swimsuits we use when we have guests, or soak in daylight.  ;)  The only time we have had soap issues in the last 7 years was after we got home from a 4 day weekend and my neighbor knew I was out of town.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

smackman

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
+1
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:08:14 pm by smackman »

smackman

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »
I don't understand why you are introducing soap into your water.

I have never had a problem with foam, so it must be something you are taking into the water with you. Keep a separate set of swimwear for the tub that has not been covered in soap powder.

As for oil and skin etc, a weekly shock should be oxidizing organic waste.I presume that you are shocking the water regularly?
Soap can come from bathing suits and yes I shock once a week. We do not wear bathing suits;We live in the country; Our hot tub is in a screened in 24' x 24' back porch so clothes are not needed

smackman

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:44 pm »

Bathing suits can have soap in them. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:08:51 pm by smackman »

smackman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

-----------------
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:07:33 pm by smackman »

smackman

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »

Bathing suits can have soap in them.  :o

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 05:09:57 pm »

Its actaully something that the average new spa owner wouldn't necessarily suspect is the root cause of their foam issue.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:50 pm »

Its actaully something that the average new spa owner wouldn't necessarily suspect is the root cause of their foam issue.

Not trying to be arrogant but this is not my 1st Hot Tub. This is my 2nd. Maybe I expect to much. Now, If my oldest daughter gets in, It is bubble city. LOL She showers before entering but that Chanel body lotion is embedded in her skin.

sorebikr

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
Hey there -

You sound a little defensive and none of us intended to attack you.  We're all hot tub users here, providing pretty consistent answers.  Like you said, the oil/soap has to come from somewhere and so you need to address the source of the contaminants.  Many new tub owners think they can jump in and not worry about deodorant or hair gels or perfumes or...yadda yadda.  So assuming that's not an issue...

What sort of filter system do you have, when's the last time you cleaned it and when's the last time you replaced it?

I don't have a bromine system so I can't suggest anything there.

Those are your three options:  1.  Cut down on the crap getting into the tub, 2. Make sure your tub can do a better job trapping the crap or 3. Find a way to zap the crap.

PS...Is there a chance someone's using the tub when you're not around? 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »

Not trying to be arrogant but this is not my 1st Hot Tub. This is my 2nd. Maybe I expect to much. Now, If my oldest daughter gets in, It is bubble city. LOL She showers before entering but that Chanel body lotion is embedded in her skin.

Yes you do expect too much, you expect us to know this isn't your first tub when someone tries to answer your question. Since this is  a question that we often see from new owners so I would have guessed that you were a newbie as well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

Sorry, I am new to the site. I guess everyone is saying they go to great detail to remove all deodorant,

Yes you do expect too much, you expect us to know this isn't your first tub when someone tries to answer your question. Since this is  a question that we often see from new owners so I would have guessed that you were a newbie as well.

Sorry, I am new to the site. I guess everyone is saying they go to great detail to remove all deodorant, all body oils etc. We shower but there are limits.
 I am always learning to try and do better. Not a biggie.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42