What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Salina and MP3 system.....need some input.  (Read 6074 times)

JB1SNOWMAN

Caldera Salina and MP3 system.....need some input.
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »
Does anyone have one with this setup? I'm thinking about getting the sound system but my dealer does not know if it has the flip up speakers (which I want) or the speakers in the shell (which does not look like a good setup due to the water getting on them). Could anybody provide some input....Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Salina and MP3 system.....need some input.
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:23 pm »

Hot Spring Ace

Re: Caldera Salina and MP3 system.....need some input.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
Does anyone have one with this setup? I'm thinking about getting the sound system but my dealer does not know if it has the flip up speakers (which I want) or the speakers in the shell (which does not look like a good setup due to the water getting on them). Could anybody provide some input....Thanks in advance.

Actually the dealer can order it either way, with built in speakers or he can order it without and add the flip ups.

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:52:22 pm »
Hot Spring, Thanks for the reply.........any input to what would work the best? It looks like the built in ones would likely be trouble, especailly if you had a crowd in the tub and the speakers were subjected to the water, looks like the mount just above the waterline on the inside of the shell. The flip up speakers look like they may be a much better option as you could still play them with the cover closed if entertaining on the patio and if soaking you could just flip them up and they would not be so close to the water.........am I thinking correctly on this? The info from the Caldera site is very vauge. Any dealers or owners out there that could elaborate?

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »
Anyone? please? :-\

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:42 pm »
You showed a preference for the flip up speakers so I assumed you were going in that direction; they'll both work fine.

Flyonthewall

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »
i love the sound from the shell mounted speakers, but i see your point in favoring the flip-ups.  the externals will definitely give you more flexibility in the future.  either way congrats on your spa choice.  i think the salina might be the perfect balance of size, performance, and price. 

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:28:52 pm »
Fly, I take it you have a Salina?

Yes, I agree, the Salina is a nice spa, I have one :P Unfortunatly, mine is going to be replaced under warrenty due to several issues with it. Watkins has really stepped up to the plate and offered to put a sound system in the new one free of charge as a customer accomodation due to the issues with the spa and even more issues with the selling dealer. I can't say enough good about Watkins and their customer service, wish I could say the same about the dealer, in fact all I can say is beware if you are in Upstate NY and thinking about doing business with Alpin Haus pools and spas in Amsterdam NY. >:(

So Fly and Hot Spring, the in shell speakers sound good? The water splashing on them when more than 1 or 2 people are in the tub and the water level is up in the speakers is not a problem?

Hot Spring, are you a dealer by chance?

Flyonthewall

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »
i work for a dealer that sells both hot spring and caldera.  when we fired up our 1st caldera with built in speakers the concensus was that they were the best sounding speakers we had seen from watkins.  the long term durability of them i can't speak to, but they look to be well sealed against any splash or submersion damage.

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:01:26 am »
Fly, sounds like you know what you are talking about and if I am reading you right , you are are saying that the in shell speakers sound even better than the flip ups. I was just concerned about the locating of these in respect to the water, when there are 3 or 4 people in the tub, the water line is up in the range of the speaker area and I was concerned about it. obviously the speakers will be partially submerged when the spa is used this way but it sounds to me that you know what you are talking about. Any chance that you might be able to provide a pic of these speakers as even the Caldera site does not show them for some reason? Thanks for you help.........

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:37:07 am »
I sell HotSpring (only) and have used the flip-up speakers for display - they sound great! - and several customers. One of my customers loved the fact you could use the speakers with the cover down, as you mentioned, and as we were doing the tub delivery/install, we spotted a place to mount one of the speaker on the wall near the spa. The wire was plenty long, and it worked out perfectly: they were pleased with the finished product: you could hear perfectly balanced music in or out of the tub, and both speakers stay dry.

Also - the flip-ups have two speakers in each enclosure.

HTH

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »
Oh man...what to do, what to do. I'm so confused.

Right now I'm leaning in the direction of the flip up speakers just for the versiltility and ease of replacement in the future, but I do also like the idea of the in-shell speakers as well.......somebody make my mind up for me :P

Chas, thanks for the input BTW.......it helps having you dealer guys chime in........you folks know what holds up and what doesn't. Point me in the right direction ???

Flyonthewall

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:01 pm »
good point.  i'll have to overfill the tub (or better yet soak after work) to see how they sound partially submersed.  logic dictates that the water would affect the sound. 

JB1SNOWMAN

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
Fly, let me know how you make out on that........that would be great to get some real testing on the issue as I have to make a decision by the end of the week. As it stands, as long as I can indeed order the system with the flip- ups I'm leaning that way but it would be interesting to know your results.........Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42