What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time caller, long time listener  (Read 5602 times)

Philpug

First time caller, long time listener
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:02:57 am »
Well, we finally purchased our first hot tub! It started off that, being a ski destination for many of our friends, THEY decided that we needed a hot tub so a collection was taken at our wedding and a nice sum was then in our hot tub fund bank account. Like many, we figured that we could find a "used" one for $1K-1500 but in shopping around, there was nothing but crap. We visited many retailers in the Reno area and felt we could trust 1-2 of them and put our names on trade in wait lists. The Jacuzzi dealer was at the top of our list.

Well, I kept my eye on CL and a 2009 Jacuzzi 335 popped up. I thought the price was pretty good so I called them and set the appointment to look at it. The owners said that they used it just a handful of time and the just wanted it "gone". I called the Jacuzzi dealer where it came from and said they were the owners and he knew the spa. I deal was struck at well below what it was worth (according to the dealer and the mover) . Speaking of movers, Bill Tate's crew here in Reno did an uber professional job and I will recommend them to ANYONE.

OK..Spa is at its new home and in place. First quote to hook up was about $900 ($500 parts/$400 labor). Now, i am NOT an electrician but I am a fairly intelligent guy. I stopped at HD and priced out the materials and could not get over $300 (I have about 45ft of 3.6 wire that I got with the spa). I think I can should be able to get the hook up for $500 max. I do have a question on the shut off box, what is the minimum/maximum distance it can be from the spa?

What is the thoughts on ClearRay? the new Jacuzzi's have them, is it worth the retrofit on this model for the $500.00?

I am sure that I will have a few more questions. You have a nice simple forum here with good advice.

Hot Tub Forum

First time caller, long time listener
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:02:57 am »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: First time caller, long time listener
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
congrats on the purchase and just for your information the GFCI disconnect should be a minimum 5 feet from the spa and maximum of 50' and usually mounted in "sight line" of the spa so that if there ever is a problem theoretically someone should be able to jump out and kill the breakers quickly without crawling under a deck, etc.

Also I'm not going to defend the electrician or disagree with you about the price being high, but I will say having electrical work done on your house is like buying toilet paper...never ever ever buy the cheapest stuff, meaning when safety issues and wiring are concerned don't "skimp" out just to save a buck or two.  The last thing you want is to put your house and/or family at risk to save a few bucks

lastly $500 if used during a good sale or buying larger quantities can probably get you 2 years worth of chems...skip the costly replacement UV bulbs imho, if anything order a corona discharge ozonator online for $250...half the cost, near the same result, and no $100 bulbs to replace every 14 months or whatever

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:00 am »
The required distance for the "shut off" box varies based on where you live. Obviously it needs to be out of reach of a spa user but in plain sight so assume about 10 ft from spa in clear view. If materials are close to $300 I doubt you're going to get anyone to do it for $500 parts and labor. Get some more quotes for sure but you really want it done properly both from a technical standpoint and from an aesthetic one so take the best quote you find from someone you also think will do a good job. $500 to add a ClearRay to a used spa? Its not some breakthrough product you can't do without. Its fine if its included on a new spa as they do but I wouldn't pay to get it added and if I got it with a new spa I'm not sure I'd buy a new bulb when the first one needes replacing in about a year.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:50:40 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:39:39 am »
Congrats on the purchase.  This site will give you a ton of information for your hookup:
http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/wiring-hot-tub-spa.htm

As far as distances are concerned, depends on you local regulations.  I believe mine were:
-Disconnect needs to be line of site from the hot tub, at least 5' away.  There weren't requirements on height of the box, but keep it above any potential snow level.  There was also a requirement that a 110 outlet be located no more than...15'? 20' away from the tub. 

Not sure what wire you got with the spa, and whether or not its adequate.  What size breaker are you connecting to?  I needed to run 4 wires of 6awg THHN and that stuff isn't cheap.  $300 or so for the wire (none of the HD's around here carry that, good deal on ebay) another $75-$100 for the disconnect.  Throw in the conduit & misc tools and you're pushing $450-$500 in materials.  So its not as though your electrician gave you a bad price (esp if he handles your permit paperwork etc.)  Almost forgot, you're only allowed to use up to 6' of flexible conduit in the run.  Also, I'd go with 2" pvc conduit to make the pulls easier. 

Have fun

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
 As advised for 500 bucks I would skip the ClearRay as well.

Philpug

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 04:07:52 pm »
Congrats on the purchase.  This site will give you a ton of information for your hookup:

As far as distances are concerned, depends on you local regulations.  I believe mine were:
-Disconnect needs to be line of site from the hot tub, at least 5' away.  There weren't requirements on height of the box, but keep it above any potential snow level.  There was also a requirement that a 110 outlet be located no more than...15'? 20' away from the tub. 

Not sure what wire you got with the spa, and whether or not its adequate.  What size breaker are you connecting to?  I needed to run 4 wires of 6awg THHN and that stuff isn't cheap.  $300 or so for the wire (none of the HD's around here carry that, good deal on ebay) another $75-$100 for the disconnect.  Throw in the conduit & misc tools and you're pushing $450-$500 in materials.  So its not as though your electrician gave you a bad price (esp if he handles your permit paperwork etc.)  Almost forgot, you're only allowed to use up to 6' of flexible conduit in the run.  Also, I'd go with 2" pvc conduit to make the pulls easier. 

Have fun

Our Home Depot does stock it. Like I said I need about 50 ft, so that is $150 or if I get the combo wire, that is $120, and running through my (dry) basement, it won't be in conduit. The 50 AMP breaker is $55.00, 50 Amp Fuse for the box is $15.00 plus various conduit and clips another $50-75. All keeping me around $300 and that is retail. So, that is how I came up with my math. I already have the 6' flex conduit along with 45' of wire too.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Clear Ray..are there other options? One guy suggested the Spa frog. We are open to the simplest suggestions...not that most are not.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »

Have fun

Our Home Depot does stock it. Like I said I need about 50 ft, so that is $150 or if I get the combo wire, that is $120, and running through my (dry) basement, it won't be in conduit. The 50 AMP breaker is $55.00, 50 Amp Fuse for the box is $15.00 plus various conduit and clips another $50-75. All keeping me around $300 and that is retail. So, that is how I came up with my math. I already have the 6' flex conduit along with 45' of wire too.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Clear Ray..are there other options? One guy suggested the Spa frog. We are open to the simplest suggestions...not that most are not.

I can already see your pricing the wrong wire...(1) 50+ft of 10g which is typical for ground + 2 lines and a neutral which is typically 6g....1  100ft. roll of 6awg is just over $100 and you need 150ft + another roll of 10awg for ground....he priced it for everything, I'm sure you having used wire laying around wasn't figured into the price...good luck

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 07:23:21 pm »
 You will have to run a neutral from the main to the GFCI, but from the GFCI to the spa you will only need 3 wires, 2 loads and a ground.

Philpug

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:43 pm »
I have 2- 45' 6g and another 45' of copper ground. That is what was used from the previous locale and I am staying with that since it was fine with the 50 Amp and match up with the new run from the breaker.

clover

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:09 pm »
...... The 50 AMP breaker is $55.00..........We are open to the simplest suggestions...not that most are not.
That's the wrong breaker, you will use that in your main box, but you will need you need a 50 GFCI breaker, (best located outside for service), and that will run you upwards to $165.00  I hope you are not doing this yourself, what we don't know we learn later, and my first jobs are never my best jobs.

As for ClearRay, forget it a put a corona discharge ozonator on it.  That is a simple suggestion that is a good one, but there are a lot of other ways to go though, like chemicals.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Philpug

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »
Hooked up and running! The hook up was fairly straight forward and I did it myself with the guidance of a friend who is a contractor.

A few of the jets had to be replaced to to the poor initial design. Lights are all working and the pumps are humming along like a kitten.

The jets that hit the back of the leg in the lounge, do not seem to have that much pressure (all the other jets are strong) is that by design?

I will be hanging around this set, everyone seems to be a wealth of info with any B.S.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42