What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: a really stoopid question  (Read 3722 times)

MargeeTx

a really stoopid question
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:39 pm »
Ok, I have a strange question:  We were with friends over Memorial Day....they have a hot tub...the water was crystal clear...no odor..great  (We have a hot tub and have always used BaquaSpa).  I ask them what chemicals they used.....told me that every three days, he puts plain old baking soda in.....buys the huge bag at Sam's.  He has never had any problems whatsoever.

So.....baking soda?!?!  Thanks for the info...I know you guys will set me straight!

Hot Tub Forum

a really stoopid question
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:30:39 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: a really stoopid question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:28:26 am »
Baking soda is not a sanitizer. That means if it is ALL you add to the water, you stand an excellent chance of getting a rash (at the very least).

Baking soda raises the pH and Total Alkalinity of the water, which can cause calcium to precipitate out onto surfaces. That feels like sandpaper on the shell, and can quickly cost you a heating element.

IF he has some sort of ozone system, with support from some form of mineral purifier (Nature2 or similar) then he MIGHT be getting lucky by having a high chlorine content in his tap water. Otherwise he is just asking for major problems.

Why people like this can go on for years is a mystery to me. Perhaps their source water has a pH of 2 or something.

Don't try this at home: ALWAYS have some form of sanitizer in place.

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
can't even imagine how nasty his tub is....I don't care if he says "never had any problems" fact of the matter unless like Chas said he may be using silver ion and ozone, but if not that water is nasty and un-sanitized

MargeeTx

Re: Another question about chemicals
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
Thanks to you both.....so far I have not developed a rash, but when I got home I took a triple shower!!!!  We have had a very, very basic hot tub (leisure bay) since 2001, and I have tried to be meticulous with using the BacqaSpa chemicals.  I am not that thrilled with them, though we haven't had one single issue with skin rashes or odors in the tub.  Hubby changes the water about every 3-4 months...mainly because I use moisturizer every morning, and then the minute I get home from work I am in the tub.....every day that I am in town.  We are going to be getting a new hot tub...before this one falls apart.  What is the best chemical program to use?  I think the new tub will have the ozone thing....so I don't have a clue...but, I do want something other than BacquaSpa.  Thanks so much

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Another question about chemicals
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »
Thanks to you both.....so far I have not developed a rash, but when I got home I took a triple shower!!!!  We have had a very, very basic hot tub (leisure bay) since 2001, and I have tried to be meticulous with using the BacqaSpa chemicals.  I am not that thrilled with them, though we haven't had one single issue with skin rashes or odors in the tub.  Hubby changes the water about every 3-4 months...mainly because I use moisturizer every morning, and then the minute I get home from work I am in the tub.....every day that I am in town.  We are going to be getting a new hot tub...before this one falls apart.  What is the best chemical program to use?  I think the new tub will have the ozone thing....so I don't have a clue...but, I do want something other than BacquaSpa.  Thanks so much

skip the Bacqua..much to finicky and expensive, a good regimen on a new spa that is a avg to below avg. use is to use a good high output ozonator along with a silver ion cartridge and then add small amounts of non-chlorine shock after each use and a small amount of chlorine each week.  This is about as "chemical free" as one can go but still be a system that is approved for use in spas by the EPA....of course that is for sanitation, you still need to balance pH/alk/calcium hardness and keep your filters clean

MargeeTx

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »
Thanks Twin City....I will print your answer and keep it as a reference!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42