What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Narrowed Down: Grandee vs Aspen (Sundance)  (Read 29140 times)

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Narrowed Down: Grandee vs Aspen (Sundance)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »
price, size, features aside I wouldn't be interested in the Aspen because of the weak "foot ticklers" it appears to have for foot jets...other than that make sure you wet test both and pick the one that works best for you and your family

The grandee has 2 wow!   At least the Apsen has foot jets that an actual person can reach.  As far as being weak (doubtfull)  they probably feel pretty good.   

meh...Aspen looks to have the same "foot dome" that we have on our Rhythm that sells for 6k or under...not a biggie I've never been impressed with jacuzzi/sundance jets, but then again different strokes for different folks, that's why a wet test is so important

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:50 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 01:10:14 pm »
price, size, features aside I wouldn't be interested in the Aspen because of the weak "foot ticklers" it appears to have for foot jets...other than that make sure you wet test both and pick the one that works best for you and your family

The grandee has 2 wow!   At least the Apsen has foot jets that an actual person can reach.  As far as being weak (doubtfull)  they probably feel pretty good.   

meh...Aspen looks to have the same "foot dome" that we have on our Rhythm that sells for 6k or under...not a biggie I've never been impressed with jacuzzi/sundance jets,   

The fact that you think that, doesn't surprise me.   To each his own..

larryshomework

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »
Did the wet test on the Aspen.  The dealer was great; the Aspen was not filled up and was too far from the electric to set up.  He drained one tub and rearranged the floor to set up the Aspen - all this in one day.  Very informative and laid back.

As for the test, it went well.  I liked all the seats.  Where I had a tendency to float the foot dome was an easy way to stay connected - particularly with the jets on full.  The thing is huge and deep.  I stepped into a Select series (about the size of the Optima) and it felt very cramped in comparison.

In comparison, the Hot Spring dealer will not set up the Grandee and told me to test in another tub (Aria I think) saying it would be the same basic feel (have not done this yet).  Add to that less attentiveness in general from that dealer and I'm thinking the Aspen is the way to go given I liked it and feel much more comfortable with the dealer (who is 2 miles from my house and is friends with a friend of mine's dad).  Finally, the HS dealer charges for delivery (I know it all works out in the end) so it seems they are more likely to nickel/dime me.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 04:28:03 pm »
Did the wet test on the Aspen.  The dealer was great; the Aspen was not filled up and was too far from the electric to set up.  He drained one tub and rearranged the floor to set up the Aspen - all this in one day.  Very informative and laid back.

As for the test, it went well.  I liked all the seats.  Where I had a tendency to float the foot dome was an easy way to stay connected - particularly with the jets on full.  The thing is huge and deep.  I stepped into a Select series (about the size of the Optima) and it felt very cramped in comparison.

In comparison, the Hot Spring dealer will not set up the Grandee and told me to test in another tub (Aria I think) saying it would be the same basic feel (have not done this yet).  Add to that less attentiveness in general from that dealer and I'm thinking the Aspen is the way to go given I liked it and feel much more comfortable with the dealer (who is 2 miles from my house and is friends with a friend of mine's dad).  Finally, the HS dealer charges for delivery (I know it all works out in the end) so it seems they are more likely to nickel/dime me.

sounds like you've found the spa for you...congrats, but just so you know "freebies" are always figured in the price when a dealer sets margins so one way or another your paying for it...either way doesn't matter always buy the spa that feels the best during a wet test and has a good dealer to back you up...sounds like you'll be in "spatopia" soon enough (copyright Chas  ;D)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »
;)

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:30 am »

Ok, you two play nice  ;)   There is a good reason for wet testing when all else is equal or undecided, how does it actually feel?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

larryshomework

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »
Put my order in for the Aspen.  Should be a couple weeks.

Will update once things are bubbly

Drofsmiles

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 06:35:37 am »
Hi!  I was looking at the Aspen and in a previous post you said it costs around 11K,  the local dealer wants to charge me 14,500 for it!  Am I getting ripped off?  There is no way to compare prices on hot tubs!  Not even manufacturer suggested prices...

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »
Hi!  I was looking at the Aspen and in a previous post you said it costs around 11K,  the local dealer wants to charge me 14,500 for it!  Am I getting ripped off?  There is no way to compare prices on hot tubs!  Not even manufacturer suggested prices...

It varies depending on various things including where you live and while $14.5k seems high you certainly may find them to be willing to negotiate.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:43:57 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »
 Would agree with that!     Prices for spa's that people say they pay here always amaze me, they really can be all over the board.  Usually on the lower end of what we sell our spa's for.    Like mentioned test the waters of how firm they are on that price and what that price includes, it's much easier to make a deal when they know you are serious than just walking around a showroom getting "the pitch"  Sometimes this can take a trip or two.  Throw an offer out, if they are holding strong then that is prolly all your gonna get. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:51 pm »

Look around and see what your other optuons are before you pay $14,500 which does seem high (including seeing where the next closest Sundance dealer is even if its just to get a better idea on pricing).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sorebikr

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 06:03:21 pm »

"seems" high to me as well.  10,800 for an Altamar in northeast PA with the stereo.  Just another datapoint for what its worth.

d00nut

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 01:15:04 am »
"seems" high to me as well.  10,800 for an Altamar in northeast PA with the stereo.  Just another datapoint for what its worth.

Altamar isn't even remotely close to the same size as an Aspen.  That seems more in line with what I see.  Aspen is normally big money. 

sorebikr

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:56 am »

Altamar isn't even remotely close to the same size as an Aspen.  That seems more in line with what I see.  Aspen is normally big money.

Well aware of that.  Thanks.  :)  But, I didn't see people lining up providing price quotes for Aspens, so I thought just maybe, if he asked the dealer what he charged for an Altmar, and compared that to other Altamar prices, he could use that as a proxy for the type of markup his dealer was charging.  Or he could just ignore me.

larryshomework

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
Update.  Had the tub installed last week got to play with it for a day or two before going out of town.  Initial impressions are that it was the right choice.  The size is great, the seats are comfy and the dealer has been great to work with.  I'm just starting to learn the water chemistry stuff but my dealer is less than 5 miles away so I've been taking the water there quite a bit to get advice.  I'm trying to use it as a cool tub for the summer but with the heat wave last week the tub is up to 95.  So far so good.

To answer a question about price - I think the tub listed for around 14900.  The dealer sold them for $12500 and there was a $1000 rebate from Sundance.  $14500 sounds too high and I wouldn't have made the jump to the Aspen if it were that much.  Did it have the stereo? 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:28:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42